CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Just a question about ps fluid (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/3762337-just-a-question-about-ps-fluid.html)

Christi@n 01-04-2016 07:37 PM

Just a question about ps fluid

Hi guys, and happy new year to you all

Just a question about PS fluid.

Last summer replaced ps sterring fluid on my vette '95, was filled with a brown dye fluid, don't know what it was, and replaced with redline D4 atf.
Yes i know that is not the right one though david from redline absolutely confirmed me that D4 was the right PS fluid for corvette and instead redline power steering fluid wasn't
So i bought D4.

Yesterday i've replaced my light truck dodge nitro PS fluid where an ATF +4 from owner manual is required.
Well i've replaced all old fluid with new Atf +4.experienced whining noise from pump before, and now no more whining, and very smooth operation :thumbs:

Corvette instead has some problem. Whining noise and no so smooth operation, we have already discussed about this in an old thread, someone said me pump bearing could be the noise culprit, but at this point i'm wondering if even a wrong oil in could it be??

93Rubie 01-04-2016 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Christi@n (Post 1591251719)
Hi guy, and happy new year to you all

Just a question about PS fluid.

Last summer replaced ps sterring fluid on my vette '95, was filled with a brown dye fluid, don't know what it was, and replaced with redline D4 atf.
Yes i know that is not the right one though david from redline absolutely confirmed me that D4 was the right PS fluid for corvette and instead redline power steering fluid wasn't
So i bought D4.

Yesterday i've replaced my light truck dodge nitro PS fluid where an ATF +4 from owner manual is required.
Well i've replaced all old fluid with new Atf +4.experienced whining noise from pump before, and now no more whining, and very smooth operation :thumbs:

Corvette instead has some problem. Whining noise and no so smooth operation, we have already discussed about this in an old thread, someone said me pump bearing could be the noise culprit, but at this point i'm wondering if even a wrong oil in could it be??

Their application guide does indeed list the D4 as the recommended fluid. I've ran their regular PS fluid in my 93 for a couple years and it has not had any issues at all. In fact it works better than the old stuff that was in the system before. So IDK, interesting experiences I guess.

Christi@n 01-05-2016 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by 93Rubie (Post 1591252099)
Their application guide does indeed list the D4 as the recommended fluid. I've ran their regular PS fluid in my 93 for a couple years and it has not had any issues at all. In fact it works better than the old stuff that was in the system before. So IDK, interesting experiences I guess.

Thanks for your response rubie red

Christi@n 01-05-2016 06:35 AM

I'd like to know even other opinions, about which fluid USUALLY to use in corvette PS since that From owner manual the only option is the GM fluid.

About redline and their application guide, i've recently discovered that their fluid (as example c+) are not officially approved from car manufacturer. In fact there's an atf +4 in place of a c+ for chrysler. And the same i think for other fluids.

mako41 01-05-2016 07:16 AM

Interesting I've been using Redline PS fluid in my '89 C4 for years and it works great, no issues.

It's what redline recommends for my '89 P/S pump; D4 ATF is recommended for the auto tranny.

http://www.redlineoil.com/application.aspx

Not sure why they recommend D4 ATF for the P/S pump and the auto tranny in a '95. Something must have changed.

WVZR-1 01-05-2016 07:19 AM

I believe you have someone in the US that forwards you parts BUT I don't believe forwarding of any fluids via USPS is allowed. If it were I believe the GM Cold Climate (GM # 12345867) might be a wise buy. It's been used in problem systems with success.

Land Rover has a spec that is likely the same/similar by Texaco. Here's a .pdf of the fluid and spec. If this were available to you it might be a go to.

http://www.southernlubricants.co.uk/...ng%20Fluid.pdf

This product for a problem system is maybe a go to:

I don't know that I could agree to any use of any ATF derivative EXCEPT in an emergency situation. I'd think any ATF derivative could maybe aggravate your situation. You might check availabilities of the latter 2 if you've issues.

The GM CC product is a proven product for ornery systems.

Christi@n 01-05-2016 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by mako41 (Post 1591253976)
Interesting I've been using Redline PS fluid in my '89 C4 for years and it works great, no issues.

It's what redline recommends for my '89 P/S pump; D4 ATF is recommended for the auto tranny.

http://www.redlineoil.com/application.aspx

Not sure why they recommend D4 ATF for the P/S pump and the auto tranny in a '95. Something must have changed.

Dave said me that redline PSF doesn't fully meets, gm specs, D4 instead meets

Christi@n 01-05-2016 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 1591253983)
I believe you have someone in the US that forwards you parts BUT I don't believe forwarding of any fluids via USPS is allowed. If it were I believe the GM Cold Climate (GM # 12345867) might be a wise buy. It's been used in problem systems with success.

Land Rover has a spec that is likely the same/similar by Texaco. Here's a .pdf of the fluid and spec. If this were available to you it might be a go to.

http://www.southernlubricants.co.uk/...ng%20Fluid.pdf

This product for a problem system is maybe a go to:

Amazon.com: Pentosin CHF202 Power Steering Fluid (1.06 qt): Automotive

I don't know that I could agree to any use of any ATF derivative EXCEPT in an emergency situation. I'd think any ATF derivative could maybe aggravate your situation. You might check availabilities of the latter 2 if you've issues.

The GM CC product is a proven product for ornery systems.

I'm be able to get fluid from US sometime.

Let me know please which are the right one for my car if you know, over GM, solded in US

c4cruiser 01-05-2016 10:50 AM

Back in 2006, I started doing open track days with my 1987 coupe. At the time, the fluid that was in the power steering system was the GM power steering fluid that came from a local Chevy dealer. Everything seemed to work fine; no shudder when turning, no noise from the original PS pump.

After a year or so of doing track days where the engine ran at higher RPM's (4000+ RPM) I noticed that the pump would start to whine loudly when the fluid got hot.

So I flushed out all of the old PS fluid and re-filled the system with RedLine Synthetic power steering fluid. All of the noise from the pump went away. At the same time I added a small PS fluid cooler. This also made a big difference. I still track the car and it still has the original PS pump in place. No noise, no difficulty with steering effort, no problems. I find that very significant considering the pump is 28 years old.

I would suggest that you purchase some RedLine Synthetic PS fluid (not the D4 stuff), flush the system and install this fluid to see if that solves your problems. I have no idea why RedLine would recommend an ATF fluid for power steering applications when they make a very good power steering fluid.

Christi@n 01-05-2016 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by c4cruiser (Post 1591255280)
Back in 2006, I started doing open track days with my 1987 coupe. At the time, the fluid that was in the power steering system was the GM power steering fluid that came from a local Chevy dealer. Everything seemed to work fine; no shudder when turning, no noise from the original PS pump.

After a year or so of doing track days where the engine ran at higher RPM's (4000+ RPM) I noticed that the pump would start to whine loudly when the fluid got hot.

So I flushed out all of the old PS fluid and re-filled the system with RedLine Synthetic power steering fluid. All of the noise from the pump went away. At the same time I added a small PS fluid cooler. This also made a big difference. I still track the car and it still has the original PS pump in place. No noise, no difficulty with steering effort, no problems. I find that very significant considering the pump is 28 years old.

I would suggest that you purchase some RedLine Synthetic PS fluid (not the D4 stuff), flush the system and install this fluid to see if that solves your problems. I have no idea why RedLine would recommend an ATF fluid for power steering applications when they make a very good power steering fluid.

This question is pretty controversial, when i turn application guide year on redline web from 87 to 95 vette, their power steering fluid isn't in guide anymore. The d4 is in place of it.

What do you think if i will try to stay with AMS OIL psf

c4cruiser 01-05-2016 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Christi@n (Post 1591255708)
This question is pretty controversial, when i turn application guide year on redline web from 87 to 95 vette, their power steering fluid isn't in guide anymore. The d4 is in place of it.

Just try the Red Line synthetic power steering fluid! You originally mentioned that the pump itself may have a bad bearing. No fluid will fix that.

Another question if you have the Owner's Manual for you '95: What power steering fluid recommendation is shown in the manual? Does it show a specific GM part number or simply show what type of fluid is to be used. There should be a table in the back of the book in the "Maintenance Schedule" section that will list the recommended fluids & lubricants. There will be a box for "Power Steering System" and that's where you should see the specific fluid to use.

WVZR-1 01-05-2016 01:16 PM

The Cold Climate stuff either makes the whine/noise go away OR you've larger issues. I've used the CC GM stuff in a ton vehicle with hydro-boost and that system had whine, it was a rather expensive new pump so we did the GM Cold Climate as pretty much a test.

The last time I saw the truck and rode in it the system was maybe 3 years older and there was no normal operation whine.

It doesn't FIX a failed/failing part but it's a remedy for many conditions. Yours is a driver so I doubt the need for all the conversations regarding straight synthetic.

Like the Texaco stuff I imagine the GM CC is a "blend" and for likely a reason. I referenced 3 products that maybe meet the requirements, 2 of them should be available locally.

Christi@n 01-05-2016 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by c4cruiser (Post 1591256198)
Just try the Red Line synthetic power steering fluid! You originally mentioned that the pump itself may have a bad bearing. No fluid will fix that.

Another question if you have the Owner's Manual for you '95: What power steering fluid recommendation is shown in the manual? Does it show a specific GM part number or simply show what type of fluid is to be used. There should be a table in the back of the book in the "Maintenance Schedule" section that will list the recommended fluids & lubricants. There will be a box for "Power Steering System" and that's where you should see the specific fluid to use.

Yes i have it.

It says gm part No. 12345866 or 12345867

Also could it written on it, not sure cause not have it in hand, or equivalent syntetich power steering fluid

mako41 01-05-2016 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Christi@n (Post 1591255708)

That's not true, they recommend their Synthetic P/S fluid for my '89 C4 in their online guide. That's what I've been running for years.

l98tpi 01-05-2016 09:46 PM

I run Lucas Power Steering Fluid with conditioners and autox and some track time. Never had any issues. Currently still have the original ps pump on the 91.

Rubie autox too with the Redline Power Steering fluid so it should work fine as well.

:cheers:

Christi@n 01-06-2016 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by mako41 (Post 1591259205)
That's not true, they recommend their Synthetic P/S fluid for my '89 C4 in their online guide. That's what I've been running for years.

That is what i said.
PS fluid for 87 89, but if you put year 95 you will see that the reccomended fluid for ps is d4

mako41 01-06-2016 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Christi@n (Post 1591261360)
That is what i said.
PS fluid for 87 89, but if you put year 95 you will see that the reccomended fluid for ps is d4

Ok I read it as '87 thru '95.
Still don't get why the '87 and '89 would have a different recommended P/S fluid (the Synthetic) when other years they recommend their D4 ATF fluid???
What's different? Isn't the GM P/S fluid spec the same for all late model C4's??

Christi@n 01-06-2016 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From my OM

Christi@n 01-06-2016 02:01 PM

Question is is which an equivalent?

Purple92 01-06-2016 08:47 PM

Add another user of the Red Line PS fluid on a track only 92.

I found a in-line Auto Trans / Power Steering Fluid Filter set-up on an on-line auction site a number of years back, and installed that in the return line. So far - no problems, and while there is a factory cooler in the system - I'm pretty sure that fluid has gotten pretty warm on occasion.