CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   After polishing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/3763189-after-polishing.html)

3RD-INF 01-06-2016 08:02 PM

After polishing

I removed all the swirl marks with a fine cut compound. Polished with a Pro machine glaze. Then finished up with an ultimate polish.
If I wash the car, will the washing remove the oils in the polish? Just what would be best result. I want to apply a sealant. Then a couple layers of wax. Thank for the advice.

Killrwheels@Autogeek 01-06-2016 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by 3RD-INF (Post 1591266943)
I removed all the swirl marks with a fine cut compound. Polished with a Pro machine glaze. Then finished up with an ultimate polish.
If I wash the car, will the washing remove the oils in the polish? Just what would be best result. I want to apply a sealant. Then a couple layers of wax. Thank for the advice.

There are several ways/products that can be used to remove any remaining oils from polishing and glazes.

1. Paint Cleansing Lotion
2. Commercial Solvent Wiping Agent
3. Specialty Paint prep products

I have also found that a light wash (to avoid marring) with a good soap (make sure soap doesn't have wax or glossing agents in it) will indeed prep for the sealant of your choice.

I have also seen a homemade mixture of alcohol/water spritzed on paint and wiped off will often remove any remaining oils also.

pyrodav 01-07-2016 06:49 AM

CG Citrus Wash & Gloss worked good for me. I know Autogeek said to stay away from gloss enhancers..but Im pretty sure this formula is designed for this purpose..I could be wrong though :leaving: Have also heard Dawn soap does well.

3RD-INF 01-07-2016 09:05 AM

I have a good shampoo. I'll use it to remove the oils and what ever is left from the polish. Thanks for all of the info. Again the C F comes through. :thumbs:

SouthBaySurfer 01-07-2016 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by pyrodav (Post 1591268951)
CG Citrus Wash & Gloss worked good for me. I know Autogeek said to stay away from gloss enhancers..but Im pretty sure this formula is designed for this purpose..I could be wrong though :leaving: Have also heard Dawn soap does well.

I would not use Dawn on a car; over time, it will dry out the plastic and rubber trim.
Have you considered a coating instead of a sealant? You've done all the prep work already. A coating is actually quicker and easier to apply. I did my '08 fourteen months ago, and it still looks great.

cmonkey713 01-08-2016 11:28 AM

I use Menzerna top Inspection from Autogeek on a MF bonnet with the DA. Works great!

1MEANGS 01-28-2016 10:48 PM

I just gave my car a quick wash after the paint correction to ensure I got all the dust off the car and had the paint perfectly clean before I went ahead with the sealant. Came out great!