CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Best tire for Z06? Who knows? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3765945-best-tire-for-z06-who-knows.html)

RBK 01-13-2016 12:31 AM

Best tire for Z06? Who knows?

Toyo Proxes 1 or Toyo Proxes T1 Sport?

Have any of you replaced your tires for the street, desiring a high performance tire that can be driven in wet and dry? If so, what tire(s) would you recommend. Best

lgodom 01-13-2016 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by RBK (Post 1591310550)

Have any of you replaced your tires for the street, desiring a high performance tire that can be driven in wet and dry? If so, what tire(s) would you recommend. Best

Haven't seen any posts of members running Toyos. I went to their site and the Z06 only has front tires showing in the right size.

RBK 01-13-2016 12:21 PM

I can get correct sizes but unsure as to the best "street" performance tire. Toyo has a few choices and not sure how they differ (I cannot get enough from internet search). I am curious as to P1's compared to Toyo after knowing which Toyo is recommended. I have a friend who put Toyo's on car and he likes them. Best

Originally Posted by lgodom (Post 1591312260)
Haven't seen any posts of members running Toyos. I went to their site and the Z06 only has front tires showing in the right size.

Mad Dog 24 01-13-2016 09:59 PM

I've put 8k on a set of Continental DW extremes on a 2015 Z07. Quiet, great in the rain, no wandering, better grip cold than Michelin. They come in the Z06 Size although they don't have the same square look as MSS, a bit rounded off. I'll buy another set for the street when worn I expect 25k out of them.

Now the problem, they suck on the track unless your working on your 4 wheel drifting skills.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...201af2e965.jpg

Look good too!

RBK 01-14-2016 12:08 AM

Given that many here have had a Z06 for a year or more, and nobody has any expereience with a replacement tire?

As this is written, I appreciate the report regards Continental.

I have "gleened" from different readings the following;

Toyo T-1 Sports but in downsized form - one user likes them.
Michelin Super Sport - sounds good on paper
Pirelli P Zero's, reportedly compromised grip and a bit more road noise

I would like any reports of "experience" - Best

LouieM 01-14-2016 01:00 AM

Michelin Pilot Super Sports seem to work well on everything in autodom. They've improved everything I've tried them on, from a C6 to a Miata, and they even ride very well. Amazing tire. They would be my first choice for an aftermarket C7 tire.

Bill Dearborn 01-14-2016 01:05 AM

The stock run flat super sport handles pretty good and last a fair amount of mileage. The Toyo's may be cheaper but they aren't going to compete with the Michelins. If you know how to drive cool weather and rain won't bother you as the Michelins are quite capable in those conditions if you don't use your throttle as on/off switch. Now if you have the Cup tires and don't go to the track it may be worth while to switch to the super sports that come on the non Z07 Z06.

I have run Toyo R888s on the track but I haven't seen anything in the Toyo street tire line up that is as good as the Michelins.

Bill

RBK 01-14-2016 11:19 AM

Helpful, thanks. Best

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1591318045)
The stock run flat super sport handles pretty good and last a fair amount of mileage. The Toyo's may be cheaper but they aren't going to compete with the Michelins. If you know how to drive cool weather and rain won't bother you as the Michelins are quite capable in those conditions if you don't use your throttle as on/off switch. Now if you have the Cup tires and don't go to the track it may be worth while to switch to the super sports that come on the non Z07 Z06.

I have run Toyo R888s on the track but I haven't seen anything in the Toyo street tire line up that is as good as the Michelins.

Bill

RBK 01-14-2016 05:34 PM

Bill- wrote to you on my other thread (was trying to get responses so went "fishing" with two threads). Bottom line - going with MPSS tires. Best

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1591318045)

Bill

JDC PDX 01-14-2016 06:27 PM

Being in the Pacific NW, the Cup 2s were just not going to cut it for half of the year. I swapped them out for the MPSS and have been very pleased with their wet and dry performance.

Thomasmoto 01-14-2016 08:40 PM

MPSS's in non run flat are great. I've bought many of them and put many miles on them. Especially when I had my 11 Grand Sport. Put over 90K miles on it and from the factory alignment it ate tires like crazy. I had a more street, Hi mileage, alignment done and it wasn't as bad, but I was hard on tires. For the most of its life it had over 750hp. So lighting them up at will was easy. You should see my driveway.

mdz06vetter 01-14-2016 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by RBK (Post 1591310550)

Responded to another of your posts that I ran Toyos on my 2010 ZR1, Best damned tire I found

3 Z06ZR1 01-17-2016 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by LouieM (Post 1591318028)
Michelin Pilot Super Sports seem to work well on everything in autodom. They've improved everything I've tried them on, from a C6 to a Miata, and they even ride very well. Amazing tire. They would be my first choice for an aftermarket C7 tire.

I have put non runflat Michelin SS on mine. They just don't come in the stock sizes.

You have to go 325 rear and 275 front.
Funny thing is the rear tread is .1 inch wider on the 325 non run flat vs the 335 factory PSS.

The ride is much better a lot less tire noise and they are several pounds lighter in weight.

They are .2 and .3 shorter.
Which seemed noticeable on the ZR1 but not this car:crazy:
This is my second second set. I ran the same tire on the ZR1!

They are the number 1 tire! Bar none!

LouieM 01-17-2016 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1591343202)
I have put non runflat Michelin SS on mine. They just don't come in the stock sizes.

:yesnod: agreed :yesnod:

Edwardz 01-17-2016 08:09 PM

Funny thing is the rear tread is .1 inch wider on the 325 non run flat vs the 335 factory PSS.

The ride is much better a lot less tire noise and they are several pounds lighter in weight.

Thanks, I may try these in the spring. I switched from sport cup 2s to super sports in the fall and have been disappointed in how they drive when it's below about 45°. I am now running the Sottozero winter tires and they are great. A little Squirrley above 140 and I don't think they will wear well when it gets warmer. I bought a pump,plug kit and slime to keep in the car so I feel confident going over to something that's not run flats.

Jus Cruisin 01-17-2016 08:16 PM

I'll be swapping the Cup2's for the SS's but I'm planning to go +1 on the size in the rears (345).

Flyboy22 01-17-2016 09:29 PM

Can anything really top MPSS's for overall street use? It's a hard to tire to beat. They used the word "super" with good reason.

centennialGS 11-21-2018 11:57 AM

Alright, bringing this thread back. I will need some new tires for spring, and hopefully can find a good black Friday deal tomorrow. I currently have 285/30/19 and 335/25/20 Continentals on the car, and hate the rounded stretch look. I'm considering going with Michelins this time, but really don't want the run-flats. Should I go with the 275/30/19 and 325/25/20 Pilot Sport 4S? Or Should I just get another set of Continentals in stock size and not worry about it?

I dont want the speedo to be off, and I definitly dont want less rubber on the road. But it seems like the Continentals run small and Michelins run large, correct?

LagunaSecaZ06 11-21-2018 01:00 PM

I also run the MPSS (non-run flat) 325 rear and 275 front. I went through three sets of MPS Cup 2. I was only getting 2 tracks days out of these tires and daily driving until the second track day, then replacement. I have now driven about 6,000 miles on the MPSS (non run flats) + 6 track days and they are maybe 50% worn. I consider them the best bang for buck and they work well on the track and street. I live in Northern California (San Jose) so winters are mile 40*-50* are typically the low temps I drive in, and they work fine if you given them 10 minutes to warm up.

Shameless plug of me (Silver Z06) passing a buddy during a track day on the MPSS (non-run flats).

Edwardz 11-21-2018 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by centennialGS (Post 1598372865)
Alright, bringing this thread back. I will need some new tires for spring, and hopefully can find a good black Friday deal tomorrow. I currently have 285/30/19 and 335/25/20 Continentals on the car, and hate the rounded stretch look. I'm considering going with Michelins this time, but really don't want the run-flats. Should I go with the 275/30/19 and 325/25/20 Pilot Sport 4S? Or Should I just get another set of Continentals in stock size and not worry about it?

I dont want the speedo to be off, and I definitly dont want less rubber on the road. But it seems like the Continentals run small and Michelins run large, correct?

I think the Continentals are the best all around tire. They grip much better in cool weather than SS. Kind of like the rounded look. I feel the run flats bend the rim with their stiff inner sidewall.