CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Help! Starting a fuel injection first time. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3787806-help-starting-a-fuel-injection-first-time.html)

61corv 02-29-2016 11:06 PM

Help! Starting a fuel injection first time.

I will be starting a engine for the first time with a fuel injection, what are a few tips I should know? Mistakes not to make, and what to watch out for. I have been reading a lot of threads and gathering as much info before I hit the key. Any and all help is appreciated. It is a 61 283/315hp with 097 cam.

wmf62 02-29-2016 11:17 PM

push the accelerator down to set choke, let up, and crank til it starts....easy peasey...
Bill

ohiovet 02-29-2016 11:45 PM

Do exactly as Bill described when engine is cold.
When the engine is hot hold the gas pedal to the floor and start.

OC-1 03-01-2016 07:40 AM

Starting a band new rebuilt engine with FI?

Is that your question?

OC-1 03-01-2016 01:48 PM

Archives here and at NCRS have suggestions

here is one, don't recall who suggested it

"That's exactly how I start mine after a long period of storage. I just pull the hose off of the elbow and squirt a little gas into the doghouse through the hose with a plastic bottle with a small nozzle tip and it lights right off without a lot of cranking. The fuel pump takes care of filling the float chamber"

DZAUTO 03-01-2016 02:21 PM

All carburetors have an accelerator pump. If the carb has fuel in the float bowl, each time you depress the gas pedal, fuel is shot into the engine for starting. May take 2-4 pumps on a carb on a new engine.

Fuel injection units DO NOT have an accelerator pump to shoot extra gas into the engine for initial starting. Soooooooooooo, extra fuel for start up is delivered by the high pressure pump (driven by the cable from the distributor). The engine may (most probably) need to be turned over with the starter a few times to allow the pump to push fuel out to the nozzles. So don't be concerned if it's necessary to crank on the starter for a few seconds until the engine starts.

wmf62 03-01-2016 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by DZAUTO (Post 1591674372)
All carburetors have an accelerator pump. If the carb has fuel in the float bowl, each time you depress the gas pedal, fuel is shot into the engine for starting. May take 2-4 pumps on a carb on a new engine.

Fuel injection units DO NOT have an accelerator pump to shoot extra gas into the engine for initial starting. Soooooooooooo, extra fuel for start up is delivered by the high pressure pump (driven by the cable from the distributor). The engine may (most probably) need to be turned over with the starter a few times to allow the pump to push fuel out to the nozzles. So don't be concerned if it's necessary to crank on the starter for a few seconds until the engine starts.

again.... :iagree:
Bill