CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Flat Tire (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3788621-flat-tire.html)

bradgoody 03-02-2016 03:16 PM

Flat Tire

3 Attachment(s)
I recently bought brand new all season tires for my 2014 C7 Z51. Everything was fine and then this morning I went to the garage and the front right tire was completely flat. After inspecting there is no nail or visible slash. I used some flat aide then filled the tire up to 30 psi. After leaving it to sit for a few hours it held the 30 psi so i drove it around for a little. While driving it slowly and continuously dropped down to 24 psi. I went to Mavis the guy there said i hit a pothole and the seal broke but it fixed itself, however it still slowly leaks. There is a black rubbery substance (easily scrubbed off) on the rims. Does anyone know what it could be

dvilin 03-02-2016 03:40 PM

Maybe the flat aide you used?

Kracka 03-02-2016 04:05 PM

The rubber along the rim is probably from the mounting process.

Walt White Coupe 03-02-2016 04:16 PM

What the heck is flat aide?

DickieDoo 03-02-2016 04:19 PM

Looks like the rim got bent ? Dismount and re-mount... and if that doesn't fix it... get the RIM repaired...

TEXHAWK0 03-02-2016 04:55 PM

If you hit a hole hard enough to break the seal to the wheel, the black is probably where the tire scrubbed the edge of the wheel and transferred rubber from the tire.

mschuyler 03-02-2016 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe (Post 1591683701)

Comes in a spray bottle. Affix the end to the air spout and press down. Tire fills with some goo and some air to temporarily "fix" the flat. The goo is supposed to fill the hole and the air pumps up the tire a little. In theory it's enough to get you to the tire fix-it place. It's not meant to be a permanent fix and the goo it uses to patch the hole is a real mess.

Example: http://www.fixaflat.com/us/index.php

JoesC5 03-02-2016 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by bradgoody (Post 1591683237)
I recently bought brand new all season tires for my 2014 C7 Z51. Everything was fine and then this morning I went to the garage and the front right tire was completely flat. After inspecting there is no nail or visible slash. I used some flat aide then filled the tire up to 30 psi. After leaving it to sit for a few hours it held the 30 psi so i drove it around for a little. While driving it slowly and continuously dropped down to 24 psi. I went to Mavis the guy there said i hit a pothole and the seal broke but it fixed itself, however it still slowly leaks. There is a black rubbery substance (easily scrubbed off) on the rims. Does anyone know what it could be

Bottom two photos...is one set of the split spokes cracked, or is it a reflection?

NSC5 03-02-2016 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe (Post 1591683701)

A regional term for breast augmentation?

bradgoody 03-02-2016 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1591684064)
Bottom two photos...is one set of the split spokes cracked, or is it a reflection?

Just a reflection, the rim is relatively new had it replaced

bradgoody 03-02-2016 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by DickieDoo (Post 1591683726)
Looks like the rim got bent ? Dismount and re-mount... and if that doesn't fix it... get the RIM repaired...

The rim is relatively new I had it replaced with a new one recently it isn't bent. I can't figure what is causing the leak I am thinking there is something wrong with the seal but I'm not sure

NSC5 03-02-2016 05:33 PM

I would try a little liquid soap/water mix around the tire/rim interface to see if it bubbles, with any luck you will find it on the outside.

Is that black stuff only around this one tire? Was it there before you tried the flat fix? I hope it wasn't from the tire shop slathering some sealer on if they had trouble getting the bead to seal (not the same stuff as tire seating lubricant which is fine).

A long time ago I had a 2002 Olds Aurora and after new tires and stems one was leaking around the stem BUT only when driven. Apparently there was some mechanical flaw with the new stem and it showed up only because you could see where it blew a little bit of dust away around the part that leaked.

bradgoody 03-02-2016 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by NSC5 (Post 1591684342)
I would try a little liquid soap/water mix around the tire/rim interface to see if it bubbles, with any luck you will find it on the outside.

Is that black stuff only around this one tire? Was it there before you tried the flat fix? I hope it wasn't from the tire shop slathering some sealer on if they had trouble getting the bead to seal (not the same stuff as tire seating lubricant which is fine).

A long time ago I had a 2002 Olds Aurora and after new tires and stems one was leaking around the stem BUT only when driven. Apparently there was some mechanical flaw with the new stem and it showed up only because you could see where it blew a little bit of dust away around the part that leaked.

The black stuff is only on that tire and the tire will hold pressure over night losing maybe 2-3 psi but when driven it will steadily decline a psi every 5 minutes or so.

bradgoody 03-02-2016 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by bradgoody (Post 1591684368)
The black stuff is only on that tire and the tire will hold pressure over night losing maybe 2-3 psi but when driven it will steadily decline a psi every 5 minutes or so.

However the tire originally went flat overnight in the garage

PUGPROUD 03-02-2016 07:03 PM

I had a similar issue with my BMW and it turned out that the rim internally suffered a small crack that could only be determined with the tire off. My dealer discovered it after I had purchased a new tire from Mavis but the slow leak persisted.

davekp78 03-03-2016 09:40 AM

Check your TPMS sensor nut. C-6s had some issues with them. Don't tighten too much.

awright2009 03-04-2016 04:38 PM

I wouldn't use fix a flat on my truck let alone my vette, but you have a leak someplace. Pull the tire off the car, get some soapy water and check for bubbles. Hopefully it wasn't damaged swapping the tire