CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Now my Info screen doesn't work (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3798107-now-my-info-screen-doesnt-work.html)

Frodo 03-22-2016 05:46 PM

Now my Info screen doesn't work

I've seen the posts, wondered if/when I'd get the problem. Infotainment screen won't light up. When I open the driver door it illuminates to an even dull grey color, pretty dim. Its getting power, no display. When I crank up the car it goes completely black. No backup camera, no icons, nothing. Screen goes up and down but not ON. I disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes hoping a reboot of all systems might bring it back. No joy. Is this the symptoms others have seen? I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer. Kinda bummed. :(
oh.... its a '15 base coupe, 3LT, A8, born on Dec. 15, 2014.

DCortez 03-22-2016 06:02 PM

Following since mine has gone dark, once.

halt00 03-22-2016 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 1591830281)
I've seen the posts, wondered if/when I'd get the problem. Infotainment screen won't light up. When I open the driver door it illuminates to an even dull grey color, pretty dim. Its getting power, no display. When I crank up the car it goes completely black. No backup camera, no icons, nothing. Screen goes up and down but not ON. I disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes hoping a reboot of all systems might bring it back. No joy. Is this the symptoms others have seen? I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer. Kinda bummed. :(

Ditto, mine blacked out a few times before it went into storage for the winter. Opening and closing the compartment helped restore it, but also helped it black out again. Once it started working I haven't used the compartment. I have no desire for a dealer to tear apart my car and then tell me they can't replicate it. I'll just wait until it is totally dead.

SCB 03-22-2016 11:36 PM

Any USB devices (iPhone, etc?) connected?

Frodo 03-23-2016 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by SCB (Post 1591832627)
Any USB devices (iPhone, etc?) connected?

No, not at the time of failure. I mean, my wife's phone is paired via Bluetooth but she was at work, phone miles from car. I never paired my phone. But that's not what you're asking is it? I do have an SD card in the console reader and it will play music, though you can't see anything of course. No USB devices in the console or behind the Info screen. Months ago I added a front camera and have the display for it inside the compartment behind the Info screen. Every time I park in my garage I slide the Info screen down to view my front camera image. Everything worked in the morning when I went out and came back. Then in the afternoon.... nothing.

Maybe I'll try cycling the screen down and back up a couple of times and see what happens. My club has an association with a great dealer in Knoxville, TN but they're an hour and a half from my home, one way. Gonna be a PITA to have to take there, and probably leave it.

CaminDFW 03-23-2016 08:16 AM

Before mine was totaled in January - my screen would go blank. I found honking the horn (odd I know) would restore it. I think there was a short or a lose wiring harness. Never got a chance to take it in.

bjones7131 03-23-2016 09:06 AM

I talked to a guy this past weekend that had same problem and dealer reflashed the computer or some component and fixed his. Hope it is that easy for you, good luck.

iclick 03-23-2016 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 1591833412)
I do have an SD card in the console reader and it will play music....

My car is three days younger than yours (Dec. 18, 2014). Try pulling the SD card out when ignition off, then turn ignition back on and check the screen. Mine blanked one time last November but recovered on its own in about 30 sec. without a restart. When blank it was dead--no sound, no response from buttons, etc. There is a software update that supposedly addresses this issue (PI1375C). I had the earlier PI1375B update done May 2015, two months after buying the car, to address a few other minor Infotainment issues.

Since it has been working fine since that time I'm not inclined to do the more current update, but for your car's issues I would consult a trusted dealer.

Kracka 03-23-2016 12:08 PM

Quite a few of us have out our touchscreens replaced under warranty by the dealer. It's a common failure on the early C7's.

My build date was TPW 3/24/14.

Frodo 03-23-2016 01:22 PM

UPDATE: Today I cycled the Info screen up and down a few times and found that the display will sometimes work while it is moving, though going blank again when fully raised or lowered. This tells me the problem is not likely a software glitch, nor has the display failed completely. What it suggests is the cable to the screen is either faulty or not fully seated on the screen's connector. I plan on removing the console (easy, I've done it before) and lowering the screen to see if I can reach the cable and connector from below. I'll try reseating the cable and also try the wiggle test for troubleshooting a faulty cable. Maybe I can isolate the problem this way. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I'll post what I find in the next day or two.

Kracka 03-23-2016 02:25 PM

^What you're describing is exactly what many of us have experienced. Apparently the faulty part is not serviceable which is why Chevy has the dealership replace the entire screen unit.

Frodo 03-23-2016 04:20 PM

Update #2: I found the problem. There are 2 blue wires running into the bottom left of the display. They probably power the LED backlight. The right wire is faulty. Likely breaking loose from its solder joint. I've seen this lots of times in my career as a repair tech in the business machine industry. I can probably fix it if I knew how to get the darn thing out. Here's a pic of the wire.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6aef46cbe0.jpg

When I wiggle it the display will work or fail. Here its working.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...21062bfde9.jpg

Here is the same wire, wiggled slightly, and not working.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...83a565ad38.jpg

Anyone know how to remove the display? Sure wish I had a service manual. Maybe time to buy one.

Chevy Cust Svc 03-25-2016 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 1591830281)

Hello Frodo,

I know you are looking for advice from other forum members, but I also see that you mentioned a possible visit to your dealership in Knoxville. I understand that this option is not the most desirable, as they are far away, but I’d be happy to contact them on your behalf if you decide to take your ‘Vette in for an appointment.

If this is something you’d like me to do, please send me a private message with your full contact info, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name.

All the best,

Corey K.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Chevy Cust Svc 03-25-2016 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by DCortez (Post 1591830386)
Following since mine has gone dark, once.

Good Afternoon DCortez,

I know I reached out to you on a separate thread, but I wanted to touch base with you here as well. If you’d like me to assist with this infotainment concern, please feel free to send me a private message with your full contact info, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership. I am always happy to assist!

Have a great weekend,

Corey K.
Chevrolet Customer Care

VetKo 04-26-2016 01:42 AM

Infotainment screen on my C7 circa Oct 2013 went blank twice in an hour while driving. Each time after stopping and lowering screen it restored to full function. Stopped by dealer and made appt for service 4 days out. Screen worked perfectly until on my way to appt on Monday. After approx 4-5 mi lost all sound, it restored by itself but was intermittent. After about ten minutes service rep said they had found a bullitin inre this problem and would order and replace the screen. Does anyone know about this bullitin?

Chevy Cust Svc 04-26-2016 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by VetKo (Post 1592079889)
Infotainment screen on my C7 circa Oct 2013 went blank twice in an hour while driving. Each time after stopping and lowering screen it restored to full function. Stopped by dealer and made appt for service 4 days out. Screen worked perfectly until on my way to appt on Monday. After approx 4-5 mi lost all sound, it restored by itself but was intermittent. After about ten minutes service rep said they had found a bullitin inre this problem and would order and replace the screen. Does anyone know about this bullitin?

Hello Vetko,

We are sorry to hear of your infotainment concerns and can imagine how displeasing this must be. Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN and mileage. We are more than happy to check for any recent recalls or service announcements that may be related to what you are experiencing.

Best,

Erica W.
Chevrolet Customer Care

maf01 10-16-2017 01:45 PM

I too have been hit with this issue.

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc (Post 1592084281)
Hello Vetko,

We are sorry to hear of your infotainment concerns and can imagine how displeasing this must be. Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN and mileage. We are more than happy to check for any recent recalls or service announcements that may be related to what you are experiencing.

Best,

Erica W.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Hi everyone,

Mid august of this year I realized my dream of buying a 2014 3LT Z51 with magnetic ride!

I bought the car in mid August with 16,500 kilometers on it here in canada.

I absolutely love driving this incredible vehicle!

However I have to say that I'm completely blown away with the fact that at 22,300 kms my infotainment screen went blank.

It really makes me wonder about the quality of parts that GM has put into it's flagship vehicle.

Following advice given by a GM ambassador that I spoke to at GM customer care I brought my car into the dealership today to have the software update completed. If the update does not resolve the issue GM tells me they will let me know what my options are regardng goodwill warranty given that I have a 2014 which obviously is no longer under warranty.

I find it ridiculous that this issue has not been made into a recall given the huge number of reported issues from 2014 to present!

So the tech performed the software update and during the update the screen went blank. He waited what he thought was long enough for the update to complete and restarted the car.

This in turn killed the HMI as the uodate had not fully completed before he restarted the car. He told me the dealership will cover the replacement of the HMI but not until a new screen is installed which makes sense.

GM is telling me that I have to wait for them to recieve info internally before they can inform me around what they will do to help with this situation.

I have to park the car for the winter season by November 1st at the very latest. This entire situaion has me extremely frustrated and I feel that I will not have this issue resolved until next spring and most likely at my own expense which does not at all sit well with me.

1000+ $ to repair an issue on a car of this caliber with less tham 25000 kms on it is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me.

For a flagship vehicle, the warranty, the service, and customer care do not AT ALL meet up to the standrd that I would expect!

madmusicltd 10-17-2017 11:45 AM

My display issue is so intermittent that I can't get it to fail to take a video?... (Dealership needs to start a good will claim) wiggling the wires fixes it for about a month? That does me no good when trying to prove the part is failing, I am out of warranty as well... Found these bulletins on the net.. Good luck

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...78480c1900.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...96269e808f.jpg

maf01 10-17-2017 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by madmusicltd (Post 1595781623)
My display issue is so intermittent that I can't get it to fail to take a video?... (Dealership needs to start a good will claim) wiggling the wires fixes it for about a month? That does me no good when trying to prove the part is failing, I am out of warranty as well... Found these bulletins on the net.. Good luck

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...78480c1900.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...96269e808f.jpg

Really? It's the dealership that needs to start a good will claim? I thiught dealing directly with GM customer care was the way to go..

I havent heard from the GM ambassadors that i dealt with yesterday. I plan on calling them tomorrow to find out whats going on. Very unhappy that i wont be able to get the screen issue resolved before parking the car Nov 1st.

Kent1999 10-17-2017 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by maf01 (Post 1595775658)
Hi everyone,

Mid august of this year I realized my dream of buying a 2014 3LT Z51 with magnetic ride!

I bought the car in mid August with 16,500 kilometers on it here in canada.

I absolutely love driving this incredible vehicle!

However I have to say that I'm completely blown away with the fact that at 22,300 kms my infotainment screen went blank.

It really makes me wonder about the quality of parts that GM has put into it's flagship vehicle.

Following advice given by a GM ambassador that I spoke to at GM customer care I brought my car into the dealership today to have the software update completed. If the update does not resolve the issue GM tells me they will let me know what my options are regardng goodwill warranty given that I have a 2014 which obviously is no longer under warranty.

I find it ridiculous that this issue has not been made into a recall given the huge number of reported issues from 2014 to present!

So the tech performed the software update and during the update the screen went blank. He waited what he thought was long enough for the update to complete and restarted the car.

This in turn killed the HMI as the uodate had not fully completed before he restarted the car. He told me the dealership will cover the replacement of the HMI but not until a new screen is installed which makes sense.

GM is telling me that I have to wait for them to recieve info internally before they can inform me around what they will do to help with this situation.

I have to park the car for the winter season by November 1st at the very latest. This entire situaion has me extremely frustrated and I feel that I will not have this issue resolved until next spring and most likely at my own expense which does not at all sit well with me.

1000+ $ to repair an issue on a car of this caliber with less tham 25000 kms on it is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me.

For a flagship vehicle, the warranty, the service, and customer care do not AT ALL meet up to the standrd that I would expect!

I see you are new here, but you hit all the buzzwords/phrases new owners typically use upon finding a flaw:
*"Flagship vehicle"
*"Car of this price/caliber"
*Wondering about quality over since 1 part failed
*Can't believe there isn't a recall
*Not right that you have to wait for parts to be ordered
*Feeling cheated that just because you knowingly bought a car that is out of warranty, that really means there is NO warranty.
*Disappointed that Chevrolet doesn't treat you as an expensive Chevy Corvette owner differently than a Chevy Sonic owner

So, you're not alone.

Best advice: Relax. Things happen, but they can be fixed. If you are not happy with your dealer, find a new one -- there are good and bad ones. It's a great car, and by far, most of us C7 owners are very happy with it, so you likely will be too if you can avoid letting yourself get wrapped around the axle on things like this.

:cheers: