CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   Lessons in timing chains and one with no equal (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/3809364-lessons-in-timing-chains-and-one-with-no-equal.html)

BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance 04-15-2016 04:28 PM

Lessons in timing chains and one with no equal

6 Attachment(s)
Elite Chain Drive

Often times when people think of the load put on their timing chain, they think of the load exceeding the tensile strength of the chain. In reality, what’s actually occurring is a series of abrupt starting and stopping, accelerating and decelerating of the crank and camshaft at different frequencies. In other words, if you were able to measure the load placed on the timing chain, you wouldn’t see a constant tension load, rather a series of shock loads. Shock loads are what destroys things. Many things determine the shock loads placed on your timing chain. These things include the ramp rates of the camshaft, the spring tension, engine RPM and the stability of the valve train overall and lastly, any kind of rev limiting electronics. The timing chain has no real ability to absorb shock and trying to design one that does is a bad idea because it will affect the accuracy of your valve timing. The stock timing chain was designed for the stock camshaft and springs. Part of the recipe for increased performance includes a larger camshaft with more aggressive ramps as well as increased spring pressures. While you may get away with using the stock timing chain, it doesn’t make it a good idea. Double row timing chains use smaller links with smaller pins, offering no real advantage. For many years, the C5R chain has been the gold standard in timing chains.
Now at the conclusion of much research and development, I bring you the Elite Chain Drive, bigger, better and stronger than anything offered before. The heavy duty pins are much larger than their counterparts. Not only that, but they’re cold formed and loaded with chromium to keep their strength at the highest point. The links are equally robust.
The drive gears are American made from 1141 billet steel. They are machined, vibratory polished, heat treated, vibratory polished again, manganese phosphate treated and then stamp marked.
Instead of black oxide coating the gears, which serves no purpose, we chose to coat them in manganese phosphate. If you take the time to read about this process, you’ll soon discover that it goes above and beyond providing excellent corrosion resistance (which is all that black oxide coating provides). It, in fact, provides friction resistance and offers anti-galling advantages.
The chain is made by a very well known, respected chain manufacturer, Rolon. It's made to our specifications with hardened and tempered chromized steel links and pins and oversized cold rolled pins
The first picture below shows a C5R chain, a C7R chain and then the Elite Drive Chain on the bottom. The second picture shows you the oiling hole in the rollers, designed to help keep the pins cool and lubricated.

I’ve met so many people focus on every other part on their build and then neglect a part that can bring the entire house down, the chain. Don’t be that guy.

The chain is only offered complete with the gear set for now. The drive gear has 2,4 and 6° advance and 2,4° retard positions.

Pricing for the LS1/6 chains has gone down to 245 shipped to the lower 48
LS2 1X cam gear 259.00 shipped to the lower 48
LS3 wet sump 209.00 289
LS9 LS7, LS3 dry sump (excluding LS9) 299.00
Now offering the chain only. for 169.00 shipped to the lower 48. It fits the stock gears.

Texas Residents Add 7.75% sales tax

Credit cards, cash and PayPal, Venmo, Cash App and Zelle accepted.
For credit card payments, I use Paypal and will require your email address to send an invoice. I ship to the PayPal confirmed address.
PayPal to: BlownBlueZ06@gmail.com
when ordering, please specify which kit you need.

Call or text me: (Text is best) 972-741-7457

CamminC5 04-15-2016 05:14 PM

Installed mine today. Fits great with a Trick Flow chain dampener. I didn't take any pictures of the double roller I removed, but this chain has less slack. I like the oiling holes in the rollers of the chain (and its weight reduction!!). Also, the drive gear fit tighter on the crank than the drive on the set I removed. Thanks for a great product Bret!

(I just used those bolts to hold the cam gear in place. ARP bolts were permanently installed after the initial fitment.)

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0484d2d8a.jpeg

Chris Stewart 04-15-2016 05:25 PM

Now you tell me, right after I buttoned up my 347 and re-used my LS2 chain. Maybe the next one...

a/c man 04-15-2016 05:57 PM

The price is awesome!! I wish I had one on my new build...

MVP'S ZO6 04-15-2016 08:47 PM

I've installed one of these on an engine I'm building. I can say from now on this timing set will go on any LS engine that I build for myself or anyone else from here on out.

Thanks for a great product blownbluez06@RKTPerformance

BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance 04-16-2016 12:03 AM

Thanks guys, I'm excited about it.

My apologies Chris, I brought it out as soon as I was able.

Chris Stewart 04-16-2016 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPerformance (Post 1592009226)
Thanks guys, I'm excited about it.

My apologies Chris, I brought it out as soon as I was able.

Looks like I may be needing one after all. :smash:

a/c man 04-16-2016 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart (Post 1592009658)

:iagree: you already have the front cover back off :thumbs:

helga203 04-17-2016 07:11 AM

Oh no what happened??

BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance 04-17-2016 09:23 AM

Let me know and I'll get one on the way. I've got plenty.:thumbs:

Chris Stewart 04-17-2016 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by a/c man (Post 1592011461)
:iagree: you already have the front cover back off :thumbs:

Not a bad idea, thanks for looking out. :thumbs:

Originally Posted by helga203 (Post 1592015653)
Oh no what happened??

After final assembly I heard some rattle and thought my chain was shot. But I borrowed a new one local and it sounds the same, so I figure it's ok. I pulled my motor to fix a rod knocking, it had a bearing going out.

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPerformance (Post 1592016343)
Let me know and I'll get one on the way. I've got plenty.:thumbs:

Thanks man I'm going to leave it be for this 347, and save up for a 427 LSx.

TXGS507 04-17-2016 09:39 PM

I have always run the Katech C5R chain.... May get with you Bret as I am going back to the drawing board w my Z....

BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance 04-18-2016 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06 (Post 1592020641)
I have always run the Katech C5R chain.... May get with you Bret as I am going back to the drawing board w my Z....

I can also get you Diamond, Wiseco, K1, Callies, MAST and more.

Let me know if I can help buddy.

DOUG @ ECS 04-18-2016 03:00 PM

Interesting, good luck with them Bret.

Shoaf85 04-18-2016 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPerformance (Post 1592022976)
I can also get you Diamond, Wiseco, K1, Callies, MAST and more.

Let me know if I can help buddy.

Not intending to derail the thread but if you happen to have a stock stroke dragonslayer available message me lol. I ended up with LSA crank but starting to reconsider.

BTW I will be picking up a chain soon

BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance 04-25-2016 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Shoaf85 (Post 1592025944)
Not intending to derail the thread but if you happen to have a stock stroke dragonslayer available message me lol. I ended up with LSA crank but starting to reconsider.

BTW I will be picking up a chain soon

Thanks,
I don't stock them. I order them as needed.

:cheers:

BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance 05-18-2016 03:39 PM

Thanks for all your orders!

BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance 08-17-2016 10:03 AM

Pricing adjusted. Reduced for the LS1/2/6:thumbs:

BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance 08-17-2016 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by CamminC5 (Post 1592006864)
Installed mine today. Fits great with a Trick Flow chain dampener. I didn't take any pictures of the double roller I removed, but this chain has less slack. I like the oiling holes in the rollers of the chain (and its weight reduction!!). Also, the drive gear fit tighter on the crank than the drive on the set I removed. Thanks for a great product Bret!

(I just used those bolts to hold the cam gear in place. ARP bolts were permanently installed after the initial fitment.)

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0484d2d8a.jpeg

Thanks for your feedback!

HardcoreABN 08-17-2016 12:00 PM

any idea if this is going to be offered with more of an adjustable set up?