CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Door button and DIC button lights (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3811520-door-button-and-dic-button-lights.html)

chasboy 04-20-2016 09:28 AM

Door button and DIC button lights

I bought a set of blue LED bulbs from JW for the door buttons and DIC buttons a couple of years ago. Does anyone know where I can get them now? I was looking on Oznium where they claim the bulbs are designed for the C5 and every C5 commenter stated they didn't fit, and Oznium's response was not helpful.:crazy2: I saw a few different ones on various sites and they list a few sizes. Anyone know the size of our bulbs? How are they classified? Thanks:(

digikorrie 04-20-2016 01:56 PM

Hello,

Just look on ebay for T4 led there a used 2 types in the c5
T4. And T5 i think T4 is for sure

On ebay different chinse seller hace them
10 ore 20 pices for a few dollar incl shipping

I use the color ice blue and the macht oke with youre cluster
If you pay 10 dollar then you are done for the whole car

Regards
Korrie

Originally Posted by chasboy (Post 1592038567)
I bought a set of blue LED bulbs from JW for the door buttons and DIC buttons a couple of years ago. Does anyone know where I can get them now? I was looking on Oznium where they claim the bulbs are designed for the C5 and every C5 commenter stated they didn't fit, and Oznium's response was not helpful.:crazy2: I saw a few different ones on various sites and they list a few sizes. Anyone know the size of our bulbs? How are they classified? Thanks:(

aerovette99 04-20-2016 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by chasboy (Post 1592038567)

Dave from www.c5led.com

Crussader 04-20-2016 06:05 PM

Forum sponsor West Coast Corvettes has them. They even mark the bulbs and provide instructions so that you can get the positive and negative terminals in the right direction.

chasboy 04-22-2016 03:57 PM

Ok folks, I did some research. These bulbs are called 'neo-wedge' twistlock bulbs. They have a number of different names for each size. To keep it simple, there are 3 sizes I could find, T3, T4 and T5. 8, 10 and 12 mm BASE diameters respectively. These sizes are consistent with the stock bulbs in our DIC and door buttons. Some sites, like Superbrightleds have specs including measurments. However, their bulbs of this type vary from what I've found to be 'typical'. That's all I can say for now.

aerovette99 04-22-2016 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by chasboy (Post 1592057000)
Ok folks, I did some research. These bulbs are called 'neo-wedge' twistlock bulbs. They have a number of different names for each size. To keep it simple, there are 3 sizes I could find, T3, T4 and T5. 8, 10 and 12 mm BASE diameters respectively. These sizes are consistent with the stock bulbs in our DIC and door buttons. Some sites, like Superbrightleds have specs including measurments. However, their bulbs of this type vary from what I've found to be 'typical'. That's all I can say for now.

Fitment is awful though. They are cheap plastic, unlike the stock disks, and dont fit well. When you tighten them with a good screwdriver, they strip..

TheRadioFlyer 04-22-2016 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by aerovette99 (Post 1592057172)
Fitment is awful though. They are cheap plastic, unlike the stock disks, and dont fit well. When you tighten them with a good screwdriver, they strip..

That's why I remove them from the plastic wedge base and solder them in place.

chasboy 04-22-2016 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by aerovette99 (Post 1592057172)

I had that happen with the ones from JW, but he sent me extras. I'll be checking the dimensions better soon.

chasboy 04-26-2016 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer (Post 1592057273)
That's why I remove them from the plastic wedge base and solder them in place.

George, Do you solder the LEDs directly to the contacts normally used by the twist wedge base?
Is there a way to check my fog/rear hatch switch light with ugly

TheRadioFlyer 04-26-2016 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by chasboy (Post 1592079688)
George, Do you solder the LEDs directly to the contacts normally used by the twist wedge base?
Is there a way to check my fog/rear hatch switch light with ugly

yes.

not sure about the second question

chasboy 04-26-2016 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer (Post 1592080464)
yes.

not sure about the second question

I'm not either. Being tired and Ipad Autocorrect do not work well together. I wanted to know if I can service the hatch/fog switch to make sure the bulb is working? I took a working aftermarket led, (the bases are too thick, removed it from the base and installed it in a stock GM base. Fit is great but no matter which side it's on it still doesn't light, yet lights fine when I bench test it. Do you know how the switch prongs are wired? I couldn't find anything in the manual. I could try probing to see if a stock bulb lights to make sure there is nothing else wrong.
Thanks!

TheRadioFlyer 04-26-2016 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by chasboy (Post 1592083967)
I'm not either. Being tired and Ipad Autocorrect do not work well together. I wanted to know if I can service the hatch/fog switch to make sure the bulb is working? I took a working aftermarket led, (the bases are too thick, removed it from the base and installed it in a stock GM base. Fit is great but no matter which side it's on it still doesn't light, yet lights fine when I bench test it. Do you know how the switch prongs are wired? I couldn't find anything in the manual. I could try probing to see if a stock bulb lights to make sure there is nothing else wrong.
Thanks!

It's probably just a bad contact. try to get more of the contact wires to stick out of the base when it's installed.

jrprich 04-26-2016 07:42 PM

Off topic,

Hey George, are you and yours surviving all the flooding in your area? We keep seeing all the news reports of the Houston area getting hit hard ;^(.
I lived in Houston for my first 30+ years and recall the flash flooding when all the drainage overflows. I had a big 4x4 Suburban in the early 70s and used to go out during floods and pull out stranded motorists. As they have always said, you can take the boy out of Texas but you can never take Texas out of the boy :^)

Jim

TheRadioFlyer 04-26-2016 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by jrprich (Post 1592086079)
Off topic,

Hey George, are you and yours surviving all the flooding in your area? We keep seeing all the news reports of the Houston area getting hit hard ;^(.
I lived in Houston for my first 30+ years and recall the flash flooding when all the drainage overflows. I had a big 4x4 Suburban in the early 70s and used to go out during floods and pull out stranded motorists. As they have always said, you can take the boy out of Texas but you can never take Texas out of the boy :^)

Jim

My family and friends are fine. I have been in Michigan since Oct 2014. When it floods here, it takes a while for it to go away because it's all frozen :lol:

chasboy 05-01-2016 10:30 PM

George, is there a way to remove the door switch from the door armrest and power it on a bench with 12 volts to make sure the LED bulbs are oriented in the right direction?
You mentioned you solder the led's directly. Do you solder to the contact strips where the bulbs make contact?
What led do you use for a door switch?

TheRadioFlyer 05-01-2016 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by chasboy (Post 1592123174)
George, is there a way to remove the door switch from the door armrest and power it on a bench with 12 volts to make sure the LED bulbs are oriented in the right direction?
You mentioned you solder the led's directly. Do you solder to the contact strips where the bulbs make contact?
What led do you use for a door switch?

I test on the car itself and just mark the contacts with a sharpie to note ground. Solder directly from the wire leads to the contact strip. I use a SMD type T-74 LED and just remove the LED and resistor from the plastic base.

chasboy 05-02-2016 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer (Post 1592123233)
I test on the car itself and just mark the contacts with a sharpie to note ground. Solder directly from the wire leads to the contact strip. I use a SMD type T-74 LED and just remove the LED and resistor from the plastic base.

I have a bunch of prewired LEDs that are about 1/8" diameter and 1/4" long, with resistors. They are sort of bullet shaped with a rounded top. Think I could use those? There's plenty of room.

chasboy 05-02-2016 10:38 PM

Update: I experimented with the red led's I have and they worked out great. I'm happy to use some things I have laying around. Still having trouble with the hatch/fog light switch. It doesn't light even with a stock bulb, yet they function fine.