CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Never again run flats (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3813269-never-again-run-flats.html)

Eric_G 04-23-2016 09:40 PM

Never again run flats

I have read the threads, seen people caution against this and then read how many people have loved it. So I decided to jump in and see. What a difference to dump run flats and go with a performance tire. The precision of the car on the road and handling through the corners is way beyond what I expected. Comfort over uneven pavement and the biggest gain....a quiet cabin. I could hear myself breathing and not the rumble of the road.

If you are doubting the change...try it one time as you will be impressed. As for the worry on a flat? The potential for catastrophic tire failure is very low. Given the carcass strength, I could easily limp into somewhere for help without worry. Worst case I can plug and pump from the boonies if AAA was not available. I am glad I did this and have no plans to change back...this is like a whole new car.

cclive 04-23-2016 10:09 PM

So what tire did you get that you are so happy with?????:D:D

MikeERWNC 04-23-2016 10:13 PM

Hankook or Kumho?

I will stay with the runflats... I drive my car.

Suds 04-23-2016 10:19 PM

Welcome to the club, I have changed to non-Runflats on two of my cars, it's the first mod I always want to make.

I had my second set up of Bridgestone RE-11's installed today on the Vette.

dmoneychris 04-23-2016 10:25 PM

Good call on the NON run flats. I went w/Michelin Pilot Super Sports NON RF. It made such a huge difference in the entire 'feel' of the car. The GoodYear SuperCar runflat tires that came on my Grand Sport were by far the worst tires I've ever driven on.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...abe0dc1955.jpg

Eric_G 04-23-2016 10:48 PM

This first go round is Sumitomo's. I liked the reviews, talked to a few folks in our area who have actually run them. Some may disagree with my choice, but I race motorcycles professionally so my speed and go fast fun is on my bikes and I am not interested in tracking, or rallying my C6. She is a daily and weekend take the wife for a fun spin through the PNW car. These tires so far are on par for giving me solid performance. I so love this car and what she can do and do realize that if I put the time and energy into it, rocking it around a track would light my hair on fire.

jrose7004 04-23-2016 11:01 PM

I'm happy with my Firestone Firehawks.

4SUMERZ 04-23-2016 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC (Post 1592064963)
Hankook or Kumho?

I will stay with the runflats... I drive my car.

Are you still with the OEM RF's?

owc6 04-23-2016 11:15 PM

I have had non RFs (Pilot sport + AS) on my '05, and yes, they run a bit softer, they weren't so much better than the same tire in RF, that it was worth the potential stranding (for me).

I drive too much to use non RFs. And I've had several flats that would have stranded me if I was using non RFs.

I guess it's a matter of how lucky you feel, and have been.

pagosawingnut 04-23-2016 11:22 PM

I just switched from the GY Eagle F1's to the Michelin PS II's and there is a world of difference in the noise and the ride.

Rich Farr 04-23-2016 11:41 PM

Have You Compared OEM Runflats to Non OEM Runflats?

The difference between OEM runflats and other brand runflats is huge. Many enjoy the benefit of quiet ride, good handling and longer lasting runflats.

For some reason GM seems to pick noisy poor riding runflats. I changed out the runflats on my 2014 Cadillac CTS to a different model runflat from the same manufacturer - amazing difference.

I have replaced the runflats on all my Corvettes with Firestone RF tires right after purchase.

extrapilot 04-23-2016 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rich Farr (Post 1592065482)
The difference between OEM runflats and other brand runflats is huge. Many enjoy the benefit of quiet ride, good handling and longer lasting runflats.

For some reason GM seems to pick noisy poor riding runflats. I changed out the runflats on my 2014 Cadillac CTS to a different model runflat from the same manufacturer - amazing difference.

I have replaced the runflats on all my Corvettes with Firestone RF tires right after purchase.

:iagree: Did the same thing, and yes, the OEM GY's are the worst. There are a lot better RFT's to choose from...:thumbs:

WW7 04-24-2016 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by owc6 (Post 1592065359)
I have had non RFs (Pilot sport + AS) on my '05, and yes, they run a bit softer, they weren't so much better than the same tire in RF, that it was worth the potential stranding (for me).

I drive too much to use non RFs. And I've had several flats that would have stranded me if I was using non RFs.

I guess it's a matter of how lucky you feel, and have been.

A Craftsman automatic air pump and a plug kit will make you feel almost as safe as runflats do..WW

Don-Vette 04-24-2016 06:29 AM

I love my Hankook Ventus Evo 2's!!

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...ps0a403210.jpg

Scuba Ghost 04-24-2016 07:12 AM

When my GY run flats need replacing I'm going with Michelin run flats.

wayback 04-24-2016 07:16 AM

I have used up 2 sets of Invos and 2 sets of Hankook Evos and now have Pilot Sport AS3 run flats. Very little difference in the ride with best grip going to the PS AS3. Glad I went back to run flats.

I agree the stock GY RF were crap.

skar 04-24-2016 07:29 AM

I'll stick with super sport ZP

LD85 04-24-2016 08:08 AM

OEM run flats were loud, went with Michelin RF and love them

Might try Non RF next time

Laid Back11 04-24-2016 08:39 AM

Nitto Invos A+ in my book

VetteGirlMA 04-24-2016 08:59 AM

I just switched to Hankook Ventus on my grand sport and what a difference. It's super quiet in the car and now it feels more nimble and responsive. The GY run flats that came with it felt like I was riding on hard balloons and now it feels like a car should. I was tempted to try the Michelin pilots like my C7 has but the Hankook's seemed to be just right. Now I get to see if they wear as quickly as the GY's did.