CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Transmission failure warning signs? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3817568-transmission-failure-warning-signs.html)

the kid C6 05-02-2016 09:51 PM

Transmission failure warning signs?

I apologize for (possibly) using the wrong terms ...

This evening on the way home from work, a strange thing happened ... I was coming to a stop for a red light, foot gently applying the brake (my personal style, coast up to the stops) ... the car was nearly stopped, then it jumped ... and came to a stop.

Just a glitch? Random? It startled me. I had visions of sudden acceleration syndrome. :hide:

The only transmission failures I've encountered were in previous cars, and the car would completely lose the gear and fall into neutral. This is a lot of fun at 75 mph. (Not).

Thoughts?

I know the advice will be "Wait and see if it happens again." :lol:

ETA The C6 has less than 40,000 miles on it.

owc6 05-02-2016 09:55 PM

I've never heard of this kind of surging on any LS engine.

Wait and see if it happens again. ;)

COMMANDER2OOO 05-02-2016 09:59 PM

What year is it?

the kid C6 05-02-2016 11:53 PM

Bob Paris 05-03-2016 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by the kid C6 (Post 1592130405)

This evening on the way home from work, a strange thing happened ... I was coming to a stop for a red light, foot gently applying the brake (my personal style, coast up to the stops) ... the car was nearly stopped, then it jumped ... and came to a stop.

Just a glitch? Random? It startled me. I had visions of sudden acceleration syndrome. :hide:

The only transmission failures I've encountered were in previous cars, and the car would completely lose the gear and fall into neutral. This is a lot of fun at 75 mph. (Not).

Thoughts?

Could be a motor mount.

Bruze 05-03-2016 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by the kid C6 (Post 1592130405)

Thoughts?

Is it a stick or auto? It's not clear, "coasting up to a stop," is the clutch (if it has one) in? :confused:

45gunner 05-03-2016 12:20 AM

I am a long way away from being an expert. However, what you are describing sounds a lot like happened to my previous car, a 2008 Jaguar XK. When coming to a stop, it was like someone bumped me from the back. The Jag dealer said it was a small part in the transmission that needed to be replaced. They fixed it as the car was under warranty. The problem went away for a week or two and came back. I brought the car back to the dealer and it turned out there was a common fault in Jag XK transmissions. This time the factory paid the dealership to rebuild the transmission and the problem disappeared for good.

I hope this gives you insight to what may be the problem. You may get lucky and find that it some small part in the transmission that needs replacing.

Knob Jockey 05-03-2016 02:23 AM

If it's an A6 trans, were you in Auto mode or using the paddles?

unixcorn 05-03-2016 08:25 AM

Your lurching/jumping problem has been reported before. Here are some threads;

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lete-stop.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-shifters.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...in-the-a6.html

Some report it as normal and others say not so much. Keep us posted on what you find.

windyC6 05-03-2016 10:28 AM

Mines done it from time to time....esp when its not warmed up yet. Never seemed to be an issue and its never gotten any worse. I'm kinda just thinking its a little glitch in the A-6 programming. At least I hope anyway !!!

OPOS 05-03-2016 10:46 AM

I'm not sure about the C-6, but my C-3 driveshaft slip joint needed grease. It would stick than release with a jolt. Worth looking in to.

the kid C6 05-03-2016 07:05 PM

Thank you for all the replies!

I read the previous topics, and my problem wasn't that severe. It didn't feel like someone bumped my car, it wasn't that hard.

However, I will be paying a lot more attention, as I only have a few months remaining on the warranty.

To answer some questions, it's an automatic transmission, and I wasn't using the paddle shifters. When I say coasting up to the stop light, that's the way I drive. I see a red light, lift off the accelerator, and roll a bit before applying the brake (as opposed to the way some folks accelerate all the way until they use their brakes. I've often thought a brake shop would be a profitable business.)

windyC6 05-04-2016 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by the kid C6 (Post 1592137252)
Thank you for all the replies!

I read the previous topics, and my problem wasn't that severe. It didn't feel like someone bumped my car, it wasn't that hard.

However, I will be paying a lot more attention, as I only have a few months remaining on the warranty.

To answer some questions, it's an automatic transmission, and I wasn't using the paddle shifters. When I say coasting up to the stop light, that's the way I drive. I see a red light, lift off the accelerator, and roll a bit before applying the brake (as opposed to the way some folks accelerate all the way until they use their brakes. I've often thought a brake shop would be a profitable business.)

LOL....Love your explanation on how to pull up to a stop light. Everyone should try that method....:cheers:

cclive 05-04-2016 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by the kid C6 (Post 1592137252)

Funny, that's the way they drive when I go to visit family in California. They are either on the brake or accelerating...at least they are driving Priuses so they are saving the planet...:D:D