CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Who is using PowerStop Z26 brake pads? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3823001-who-is-using-powerstop-z26-brake-pads.html)

Flame Red 05-14-2016 01:35 PM

Who is using PowerStop Z26 brake pads?

Ok, I am fed up with the darn brake dust and am going to get my peeling black painted Z51 wheels powder-coated soon. While the car is sitting up on jacks I was thinking of replacing the expensive CarbonTech 1521 pads with these Power Step Z26 pads to get the dust down to a reasonable level. Yes, the CarbonTechs dust less than the OEM ones but they still dust horribly.

Anyone use these Power Step Z26 Pads? How do they compare performance wise and dust wise? Any squealing issues?

I figure these are pretty inexpensive at $120 for a set of four and if I am not happy I can always put the CarbonTech's back on. But I would like to hear other member experiences before I bother. They don't seem to be peddled here like the CarbonTechs even though the reviews on various auto parts web sites seem to say good things about them at least for street use. I guess they are not track rated and don't have a Corvette Tax so they are not peddled here?

:lurk:

Please, no comments like "just put up with the dust", or "5 seconds cleans them", or similar. If you have these Power Stop Z26 installed, please post your experiences otherwise please go flame elsewhere.

Thank you in advance.

WKMCD 05-14-2016 04:11 PM

Research Carbotech 1521. Great pads with very little non-corrosive dust.

lakemg 05-14-2016 05:06 PM

^^^ I don't think you even read his post...he already has Carbotech 1521 pads on his car and wants something better.

lakemg 05-14-2016 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Flame Red (Post 1592213732)
Ok, I am fed up with the darn brake dust and am going to get my peeling black painted Z51 wheels powder-coated soon. While the car is sitting up on jacks I was thinking of replacing the expensive CarbonTech 1521 pads with these Power Step Z26 pads to get the dust down to a reasonable level. Yes, the CarbonTechs dust less than the OEM ones but they still dust horribly.

Anyone use these Power Step Z26 Pads? How do they compare performance wise and dust wise? Any squealing issues?

I figure these are pretty inexpensive at $120 for a set of four and if I am not happy I can always put the CarbonTech's back on. But I would like to hear other member experiences before I bother. They don't seem to be peddled here like the CarbonTechs even though the reviews on various auto parts web sites seem to say good things about them at least for street use. I guess they are not track rated and don't have a Corvette Tax so they are not peddled here?

:lurk:

Please, no comments like "just put up with the dust", or "5 seconds cleans them", or similar. If you have these Power Stop Z26 installed, please post your experiences otherwise please go flame elsewhere.

Thank you in advance.

See post #70 here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ke-dust-4.html

HJHorton 05-14-2016 05:32 PM

^^^ I installed the Power Stop Extreme Z26 about 3 months ago and have been very happy with the results so far. I went directly from the OEM pads to the Power Stop Z26 pads so can't compare with the Carbotech pads, but the amount of dust I now get is very minimal. I think the pads are made much better than the Carbotech pads as they have the weights to eliminate pad vibration, and have a stainless steel backing plate. I cant tell any difference in braking and have not had any noise from the pads.

Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com 05-14-2016 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by HJHorton (Post 1592214841)
I installed the Power Stop Extreme Z26 about 3 months ago and have been very happy with the results so far. I went directly from the OEM pads to the Power Stop Z26 pads so can't compare with the Carbotech pads, but the amount of dust I now get is very minimal. I think the pads are made much better than the Carbotech pads as they have the weights to eliminate pad vibration, and have a stainless steel backing plate. I cant tell any difference in braking and have not had any noise from the pads.

First of all if you never used them how do you know the power stops are better? Also. carbotech is now using the weights.

Second of all Carbotech is a 100% made in the USA not the cheap china stuff. Carbotech is a small brake pad manufacture that has 12 employees and do there best to provide HIGH QUALITAY BRAKE PADS to the consumer. A lot of people on this forum claim corvette tax that's not it. Its the cost of doing small business in the USA. And than people go and support the Chinese by buying there inferior brakes pads to save a $100 bucks but don't care about there safety to save $100.

There is no such thing as a dustless brake pad... They would not work. Carbotech 1521 is a low dust street pad that provides OE performance with lees dust. I doubt this power stop china stuff could hold a candle to the 1521 and that's my rant.....

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

HJHorton 05-14-2016 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com (Post 1592214970)
First of all if you never used them how do you know the power stops are better? Also carbotech is now using the weights

Because I order a set of the Carbotech an when I received them they did not look as well made as the OEM pads, so I opted for the Power Stop Z26 pads. In a side by side comparison between the Power Stop, Carbotech, and OEM pads for a Z51, the Z26 pads looked like they had been engineered better. I said in my post, I think the pads are better I didn't say they where better. If you remember correctly I called you and asked about the way the pads where manufactured because I didn't feel like the pads where made correctly and I was worried about noise as a lot of people attested too. So at the end of the day I sold the Carbotech pads and installed the Z26 pads.

Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com 05-14-2016 06:35 PM

OK than judge a book by its cover :cheers:

C8Jake 05-14-2016 09:39 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...269fe86db6.png
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ce001a7d79.png
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...13c5429fa6.png

WS6JJP 05-14-2016 10:59 PM

I've been using the powerstops on my Z06 and I'm more than pleased with them. I've always replaced the factory pads on most of my vehicles and I'd have to say these put out the least amount of dust out of all the different brands I've tried. I was also in same boat, reading about all these people ranting and raving about the Carbotech pads. I'm not saying anything bad about them but I just refused to pay that kind of money on brake pads especially since none of these are "performance" pads. I think you'll be completely satisfied if you end up trying the powerstops.

mustclime 05-15-2016 12:36 PM

Just a thought....clean and then wax your wheels....some people say the dust does not stick as much to the wax as as just the bear paint....Disclaimer....i just clean my wheels once a week when I wash the car. :confused2:

AORoads 05-15-2016 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by WS6JJP (Post 1592216601)
I've been using the powerstops on my Z06 and I'm more than pleased with them. I've always replaced the factory pads on most of my vehicles and I'd have to say these put out the least amount of dust out of all the different brands I've tried. I was also in same boat, reading about all these people ranting and raving about the Carbotech pads. I'm not saying anything bad about them but I just refused to pay that kind of money on brake pads especially since none of these are "performance" pads. I think you'll be completely satisfied if you end up trying the powerstops.

Give me a ballpark: how much for a set of 1521 and how much for a set of powerstops?

C8Jake 05-15-2016 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1592219959)
Give me a ballpark: how much for a set of 1521's > how much for Z26's?

F/R Z26 Power Stop $120 :thumbs:
triple that for 1521's :ack:

AORoads 05-15-2016 06:59 PM

^^^ Ordinarily, I'd say "Triple?!!!!" But, I have to say that for my C6, I bought a competitor brand to Power Stops, and it was about triple the $120 you mention. Still, I appreciate your giving me the numbers, and yes, triple is a lot of difference on a relative basis to the $120. :cheers:

HJHorton 05-15-2016 09:08 PM

^^^^ RockAuto has the front and rear Z26 evolution pads for z51 for $134 delivered.

joeybsyc 05-15-2016 10:57 PM

What about the powerstop "evolution" pads? They are even cheaper than the extremes. Anyone using them? Which ones produce the least amount of visible dust, particularly on black wheels?

2014BlkVette 05-16-2016 11:09 AM

Just installed this setup on Saturday. So far, I am satisfied, but I've driven only about 100 miles or so.

Flame Red 05-16-2016 02:15 PM

Thanks for the feed back folks. A set of 4 are on the way from Jegs for $122 delivered.

Stingray Al 05-16-2016 03:23 PM

I'm going to try these also

motox621 05-16-2016 04:29 PM

Part number ?

what is the part number on the brake pads you are using ?