CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Quadrajet Tuning question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3823789-quadrajet-tuning-question.html)

mobird 05-16-2016 02:30 PM

Quadrajet Tuning question

Hey guys, I just installed Headers and Side Pipes on my 79 corvette. It has a Qjet with the number 7059216 on it. I opened it up to rejet it and found that it currently has size 72 main jets. What size should I change up to compensate for the new headers and side pipes?

Not sure if it's important but my car is a 4-speed (however the carb is from an automatic), the rest of the engine is stock at the moment.

Thanks

mobird 05-16-2016 04:19 PM

Also, I plan to switch intakes to a Edelbrock Performer RPM soon. With that setup, will I need to rejet, and if so, what size?

Thanks

jnb5101 05-16-2016 05:14 PM

Impossible to tell. It might need SLIGHTLY more fuel, but the only sure method of checking is with a A/F meter while the engine is at idle and WOT. Increasing the jet size will enrich the mixture at all ranges, decreasing the rod size will enrich the "operational" ranges only (assuming you use .026 tip rods). If you make any changes, do them in small steps.

jim2527 05-16-2016 06:04 PM

You need to look at Lars' jet/rod charts and find a combo that richens it no more than 10% as recommended by Lars. And that's assuming your running rich....

TedH 05-16-2016 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by mobird (Post 1592226251)
Hey guys, I just installed Headers and Side Pipes on my 79 corvette. It has a Qjet with the number 7059216 on it. I opened it up to rejet it and found that it currently has size 72 main jets. What size should I change up to compensate for the new headers and side pipes?

Not sure if it's important but my car is a 4-speed (however the carb is from an automatic), the rest of the engine is stock at the moment.

Thanks

You may need to go with smaller primary and/or secondary metering rods to richen things since you are removing all that backpressure. Lars would know.

this may be of use: http://www.route66hotrodhigh.com/PowerTuneQjet.html

More... A LOT MORE!!! : http://www.florida4x4.com/tech/quadrajet/

Others here have added side pipes and should be able to recommend metering rods/jets combinations to get you in the ballpark of tuning.

PAmotorman 05-16-2016 07:38 PM

carbs are jetted for sea level so if you are above sea level your carb is already richer than it needs to be so changing jetting may not be necessary for your exhaust change. the formula for changing jetting for altitude is you reduce the jetting area 2% for every 1500 feet you are above sea level.

mobird 05-16-2016 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by jim2527 (Post 1592227746)
You need to look at Lars' jet/rod charts and find a combo that richens it no more than 10% as recommended by Lars. And that's assuming your running rich....

Thanks, looking at that it looks like going to a 74 jet should get me about 8% richer. I'm thinking that will be a good starting point.

If anyone else has headers and side pipes, I"m interested to hear what your setup is and particularly if you changed the metering rods.

mobird 05-16-2016 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by PAmotorman (Post 1592228362)
carbs are jetted for sea level so if you are above sea level your carb is already richer than it needs to be so changing jetting may not be necessary for your exhaust change. the formula for changing jetting for altitude is you reduce the jetting area 2% for every 1500 feet you are above sea level.

Good info, thanks. I'm about 1100 feet above sea level.

gmtech1234 05-16-2016 09:08 PM

Drive it first, it may or may not need re jeting. If it does a 73 would be the first I would try.

larrywalk 05-16-2016 09:39 PM

Little, if any, primary mixture change is needed for part throttle cruising. With reduced back pressure at full throttle, enrichment may help. The beauty of the Quadrajet is that you can make changes with the secondary rods easily without disassembling the carb. Try this first before you dig into the primary side.

:thumbs:

PAmotorman 05-17-2016 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by larrywalk (Post 1592229250)
Little, if any, primary mixture change is needed for part throttle cruising. With reduced back pressure at full throttle, enrichment may help. The beauty of the Quadrajet is that you can make changes with the secondary rods easily without disassembling the carb. Try this first before you dig into the primary side.

:thumbs:

WOT is where I would check with a sparkplug color check. if it is lean at cruise you will feel a surge.

mobird 05-17-2016 08:10 AM

Thanks for all the info guys.

Do you have a recommendation for a cheap 02 sensor and gauge so I can get my A/F ratio? I'd rather have a number to tune off of then a spark plug.

jnb5101 05-17-2016 08:35 AM

The cost of a dyno pull will be less($60 to $75 for 3 pulls) than buying a A/F setup. Unless you plan on continued major modifications such as heads or total engine rebuilds, consider getting a dyno test. Plus the tech may make other suggestions as to timing or ignition problems that only show up at max output.

mobird 05-17-2016 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by jnb5101 (Post 1592231207)
The cost of a dyno pull will be less($60 to $75 for 3 pulls) than buying a A/F setup. Unless you plan on continued major modifications such as heads or total engine rebuilds, consider getting a dyno test. Plus the tech may make other suggestions as to timing or ignition problems that only show up at max output.

I do actually plan to put some aluminum heads and a better cam in in the next few months, so I would like to have a way to read A/F. Seems like there has to be a company making a cheap usable o2 sensor and gauge setup that I can have welded into my collector. I have very little experience with this so I would appreciate reccomendations.

mobird 05-17-2016 09:40 AM

Can I just buy any 02 sensor and bung and have it welded in and then attach a cheap A/F gauge to it? Or is it more complicated than that?

jnb5101 05-17-2016 10:26 AM

Just weld it in place at least 18" from the cylinder head. The meter instructions will recommend exact placement. But I think you will find that the A/F meters aren't so cheap! If you do plan on engine mods, keep the carb untouched until you get the engine running, and then adjust the carb.

mobird 05-17-2016 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by jnb5101 (Post 1592231997)
Just weld it in place at least 18" from the cylinder head. The meter instructions will recommend exact placement. But I think you will find that the A/F meters aren't so cheap! If you do plan on engine mods, keep the carb untouched until you get the engine running, and then adjust the carb.

Ok thanks. Did a little research, looks like I can get the AEM wideband kit for a little under $200.

Do you know if I can leave the wideband 02 sensor in at all times? I read a forum post or two that said the sensor doesn't seem to last long so some people were only keeping it in when they were tuning. If that's the case, do I just plug the Bung with a bolt that is the same thread size as the sensor? Or do they make something to plug the 02 sensor bung with?

jnb5101 05-17-2016 12:24 PM

O2 sensors last for 100K miles in new cars. They can be removed and plugged if you wish, but then the wiring connection would be exposed to the elements. Install the bung, do a clean professional job on the wiring and "forget about it"- as my New York born and raised wife says.