CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] How many Z06 owners use theirs primarly for track? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3825164-how-many-z06-owners-use-theirs-primarly-for-track.html)

ticket-red 05-19-2016 01:36 PM

How many Z06 owners use theirs primarly for track?

Just curious how many owners of the Z06 use their car mostly as a track car, or just as a fun car to drive on the streets. I refused to track mine so it lasts longer, wondering how many others share that mentality or if they use theirs regularly at the track. I can see both ways, for me I guess it's a habit from my father about taking care of your cars and making them last. The replies might help gauge how many of these are being taken care of or driven hard.

zeevette 05-19-2016 02:26 PM

I've owned mine for 13 years, and it's never been raced. Just turned 20k mi., and it's been my science project/garage queen.

Acid666 05-19-2016 03:27 PM

I got mine a few weeks ago with the intent on it being a Friday/Weekend driver, and occasional autocross car and some track time. I need to swap the brake fluid out and find some spare rims for a 2nd set of tires for both AutoX and track, but that was the whole reason I got the car. Something fun to track and I don't need as a daily driver that I can possibly trailer to some races.

The whole point was that it was affordable, parts are inexpensive, TONS of power and handling for the amount of money I'm buying it for, and easy to add power if I want.

Solofast 05-19-2016 04:03 PM

Keeping your car "nice" is fine, but not using it the way it was designed and intended is a waste.

The Z06 has tons of design features like a baffled oil pan, brake ducts, bigger wheels and tires, thinner glass, stiffer suspension and special shocks and on and on, that make the car a true track machine. If you didn't buy it to use it that way, you might just as well buy a coupe with an automatic and soft suspension and take it to "cars and coffee" and stand around talking and then wax it once a week.

There's an old saying that not using your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend so that she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend...

Actually though, I'm happy that there are folks like you out there who don't put any miles or use these cars up, because when I want to go out an get another one I can find somebody's "garage queen" and have an almost new car for not much money at all.

ptindall 05-19-2016 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Solofast (Post 1592249626)
Keeping your car "nice" is fine, but not using it the way it was designed and intended is a waste.

The Z06 has tons of design features like a baffled oil pan, brake ducts, bigger wheels and tires, thinner glass, stiffer suspension and special shocks and on and on, that make the car a true track machine. If you didn't buy it to use it that way, you might just as well buy a coupe with an automatic and soft suspension and take it to "cars and coffee" and stand around talking and then wax it once a week.

There's an old saying that not using your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend so that she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend...

Actually though, I'm happy that there are folks like you out there who don't put any miles or use these cars up, because when I want to go out an get another one I can find somebody's "garage queen" and have an almost new car for not much money at all.

But..but...but the coupe with the automatic doesn't have the street cred that the Z06 does and it all about looking the most badass at the cars and coffee so its Z06 all the way!

04silverZ06 05-19-2016 04:16 PM

I think it depends on how hard one drives it if they take it to the track. Someone like me would take it to the track to 'stretch' its legs and use the power that I can't on the street. It doesn't necessarily mean I'm abusing it just because it's been to the track.

I bet some people drive their Z harder on the street than some people do on the track - and maintenance goes a long way.

zeevette 05-19-2016 04:38 PM

The day comes you buy a car for me, I'll start giving a carp about your suggested usage.

S.C. vette 05-19-2016 05:08 PM

Street, no interest whatsoever in any track activities thank you.

S.C. vette 05-19-2016 05:13 PM

:rofl: as are your comments

MongoZ06 05-19-2016 05:15 PM

My car has over 101k miles. It was a daily driver for 7 years, has been down the 1/4 mile a handful of times and has seen more track miles than street miles over the past 5 years. If the drivers around Houston weren't so F'n crazy and roads pretty rough I would drive it more often.

I will echo the statement though about maintenance and care. Because I track the car fluids are changed often and I always do a thorough inspection before and after every event.

Running a road course on street tires really isn't any harder on your car than going for a "spirited drive" on some back roads and is actually much safer. I'm not sure why so many people are against it or bash it. If you want rough, drag racing is what's rough on your car. I've seen more people crash, blow up motors, explode their transmissions and catch their car on fire at the drag strip than from all the track event's I've been to.

Moto One 05-19-2016 06:06 PM

MongoZ06, you said it..... and then there is mine, 16 years of use and fun. SCCA National tour trailer queen for the first three years, then out of the trailer and two more years of Tour, and road trip use (including time in Europe), it's been back an forth across the country a dozen times, and has seen up to 30 track days a year (lead follow coach), I got my 150 lic at Bonneville (yes on the salt), it has 140k on it, and has never, yes Never had a tune-up. Lots of oil/fluids, brakes, tires, and still running strong. Wouldn't trade a min of the enjoyment/Adventures, I'v had with it. I just can't see Z. collecting dust for some one else.

As for tracking, Hell yea. It's a 16+ year old car that can shame most new cars when driving properly, and that only happens with seat time.

PS; its also the best looking Vett ever...(any color)...

Mark

ticket-red 05-19-2016 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Moto One (Post 1592250390)
MongoZ06, you said it..... and then there is mine, 16 years of use and fun. SCCA National tour trailer queen for the first three years, then out of the trailer and two more years of Tour, and road trip use (including time in Europe), it's been back an forth across the country a dozen times, and has seen up to 30 track days a year (lead follow coach), I got my 150 lic at Bonneville (yes on the salt), it has 140k on it, and has never, yes Never had a tune-up. Lots of oil/fluids, brakes, tires, and still running strong. Wouldn't trade a min of the enjoyment/Adventures, I'v had with it. I just can't see Z. collecting dust for some one else.

As for tracking, Hell yea. It's a 16+ year old car that can shame most new cars when driving properly, and that only happens with seat time.

PS; its also the best looking Vett ever...(any color)...

Mark

Did you ever change the valve springs? Would be cool to hear of someone pushing their car with the stock springs, and get to 140k miles.

FASTFATBOY 05-19-2016 09:13 PM

50/50 for me, in the winter months I swap seats tires and brake pads and do 5-6 track weekends. In the summer the pretty wheels go back on, factory seats back in and its a car show-cruise in machine.

Most guys who don't track their car are either scared or can't afford it.

Reggie Dunlop 05-19-2016 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by zeevette (Post 1592249878)
The day comes you buy a car for me, I'll start giving a carp about your suggested usage.

WTF does this mean? Oh wait, IDGAF.

555ss 05-20-2016 06:23 AM

we have 6 c5s An '01 coupe 34k miles street car and '03 anniversary Rag with 3 k miles( not a miss print she loves that this car still smells new)
A 04 z16 street car 11 k miles and 3 02 zo6's with from 22k to 87 k miles that are mostly for road race use... These things take an amasing beating and keep coming back for more...

TXGS507 05-20-2016 09:23 AM

Mine is not for drag racing... It's more of a roll race car. ( 1/2 mi events and such) other than that I drive it every now and again. That being said, I would not hesitate to drive it cross country... It is the "total package"....

Moto One 05-20-2016 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ticket-red (Post 1592250683)
Did you ever change the valve springs? Would be cool to hear of someone pushing their car with the stock springs, and get to 140k miles.

My Z is a 2001, early production, (original valve springs) I haven't even changed the spark-plugs yet. :hide: Although spark plugs are on the list of things to do.

Mark

FASTFATBOY 05-20-2016 09:45 AM

I can tell you this, I took my car to an all Vette show recently and left all the track stuff on the car including the slicks and numbers.

People thought my car was a damn UFO or something, those waxers could not fathom I actually used my car for track duty.

Acid666 05-20-2016 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY (Post 1592253993)
I can tell you this, I took my car to an all Vette show recently and left all the track stuff on the car including the slicks and numbers.

People thought my car was a damn UFO or something, those waxers could not fathom I actually used my car for track duty.

Lol that's awesome. I do vinyl work on the side and was considering making my Millennium Z look like the Lemans Vette for when I track it just for the hell of it.

zeevette 05-20-2016 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop (Post 1592252130)
WTF does this mean? Oh wait, IDGAF.

STFU, nOOb.