CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Help with build...have a look! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3832858-help-with-build-have-a-look.html)

5hunnit5-C6Z 06-06-2016 12:20 AM

Help with build...have a look!

Thanks for looking! This is kinda lengthy so bear with me. I've owned my 2006 Z for a year and I'm ready to build. It's a 90k mile weekend beater, and aside from cosmetics it's bone stock. I've posted little but read religiously on this forum, 6 months ago I had it all figured out, problem is the more I read and gather info, the more I 2nd guess the correct mods I'm after....the one consistent thing I see asked is "what are your goals"....well that's easy, it's not a 405 pro-mod...but an absolute street monster with no other vocabulary but Murder every time something/someone pulls up beside me! I really don't have a set hp goal, but I won't be running any 1 mile events, and have serious doubts of any 1/2 mile events either. Now 1/4 mile runs? Absolutely! Keep in mind that this is/will be a 95% street car, with some 1/4 mi track runs just a few times a year for kicks. So supporting mods are fairly common and are as follows:
Halltech 103 (or 108)
MSD/NW102 (mamofied)
ARH 1 7/8 with X + cats
What I'm struggling with:
Heads- wcch,ahp,mamo,other????
Cam- ???? (insert here)
I've read the K501 builds, listened to all Torquer 110 & 116 clips, and have vip access to youtube for all the vids I've watched, from VR to Hennessey to Livernois........ Im ready to pinpoint a proven, can't miss package that hits it outta the park, because I can only afford to swing once! I will add that im in NW TN, so by whom said package will be tuned by is TBD, the install i will do myself. I appreciate your time, I'll hang up & listen.

RGT 06-06-2016 01:04 AM

Go with Tony Mamo's TFS heads, and have him spec a cam for you.

ZilverZ06 06-06-2016 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by 5hunnit5-C6Z (Post 1592362538)
Thanks for looking! This is kinda lengthy so bear with me. I've owned my 2006 Z for a year and I'm ready to build. It's a 90k mile weekend beater, and aside from cosmetics it's bone stock. I've posted little but read religiously on this forum, 6 months ago I had it all figured out, problem is the more I read and gather info, the more I 2nd guess the correct mods I'm after....the one consistent thing I see asked is "what are your goals"....well that's easy, it's not a 405 pro-mod...but an absolute street monster with no other vocabulary but Murder every time something/someone pulls up beside me! I really don't have a set hp goal, but I won't be running any 1 mile events, and have serious doubts of any 1/2 mile events either. Now 1/4 mile runs? Absolutely! Keep in mind that this is/will be a 95% street car, with some 1/4 mi track runs just a few times a year for kicks. So supporting mods are fairly common and are as follows:
Halltech 103 (or 108)
MSD/NW102 (mamofied)
ARH 1 7/8 with X + cats
What I'm struggling with:
Heads- wcch,ahp,mamo,other????
Cam- ???? (insert here)
I've read the K501 builds, listened to all Torquer 110 & 116 clips, and have vip access to youtube for all the vids I've watched, from VR to Hennessey to Livernois........ Im ready to pinpoint a proven, can't miss package that hits it outta the park, because I can only afford to swing once! I will add that im in NW TN, so by whom said package will be tuned by is TBD, the install i will do myself. I appreciate your time, I'll hang up & listen.

It all depends on what you're driving style is. Are you looking for a daily driver street car? I had the opportunity to drive cars with different cams. For me, the Katech Torquer 116 fit my needs. Great stock like drivability and power. You're going to get different opinions based on each different needs. At the end of the day, you will need to decide on what is best for you:cheers:

5hunnit5-C6Z 06-06-2016 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by RGT (Post 1592362656)

His pckg is certainly on the short list as I'm going with his MSD already.

5hunnit5-C6Z 06-06-2016 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ZilverZ06 (Post 1592362782)
It all depends on what you're driving style is. Are you looking for a daily driver street car? I had the opportunity to drive cars with different cams. For me, the Katech Torquer 116 fit my needs. Great stock like drivability and power. You're going to get different opinions based on each different needs. At the end of the day, you will need to decide on what is best for you:cheers:

K116 is certainly one I'm considering, it's not a daily but is a street car 95% of the time. Like most, I want the best of all world's!

rjacobs 06-06-2016 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 5hunnit5-C6Z (Post 1592362538)
an absolute street monster with no other vocabulary but Murder every time something/someone pulls up beside me!

Good luck.

I learned LONG AGO with fast cars there is always somebody faster and with more HP than you. Its a losing battle.

With the parts you have laid out 550-600whp is attainable for certain. Just pick your cam. For a 95% street car, go with a smaller cam that will be a torque monster. I did a BTR stage 2 and I am over 450 ft. lbs. of torque by 3500 rpm, over 500 by 4500 rpm and dont drop below 450 ft. lbs until 6500rpm.

If you are looking at doing ported heads(dont just get them fixed, get them ported and polished and milled .030 provided you have 93 octane fuel), a ported manifold and NW102, get the Halltech 108, skip the 103. You want all the airflow you can get.

5hunnit5-C6Z 06-06-2016 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by rjacobs (Post 1592364118)
Good luck.

I learned LONG AGO with fast cars there is always somebody faster and with more HP than you. Its a losing battle.

With the parts you have laid out 550-600whp is attainable for certain. Just pick your cam. For a 95% street car, go with a smaller cam that will be a torque monster. I did a BTR stage 2 and I am over 450 ft. lbs. of torque by 3500 rpm, over 500 by 4500 rpm and dont drop below 450 ft. lbs until 6500rpm.

If you are looking at doing ported heads(dont just get them fixed, get them ported and polished and milled .030 provided you have 93 octane fuel), a ported manifold and NW102, get the Halltech 108, skip the 103. You want all the airflow you can get.

Someone always faster for sure and that's quite ok, just really wanting to get the most out of it within the self imposed limits of it's intended use. 93 is readily available, I did plan on port work just a bit unsure on the mill...btr 2 is one I'm doing some comparisons with (by reading) I hadn't searched/debated much between the 103 vs 108, but I do want the best match/performance.

rjacobs 06-06-2016 10:32 AM

if you have 93 mill the heads .030. Supposedly its worth 30whp(10 per .010 you mill), again supposedly from what I read on here. AHP did my heads and, I dont want to put words in Kohle's mouth, but he said something along the lines of "if you only have 91, mill .020, but if you have 93, mill .030. We recommend this to everybody as its a big gain". Something along those lines. I would guess WCCH would recommend similar, although I never talked to them.

Local guy has a bigger cam than I do, but no head milling or P&P and he is down 30whp from me(with other mods being "similar"). If he gets his heads milled and P&P I bet he will pick up 40-50whp due to his cam specs.

As far as the BTR Stage 2, im VERY happy with mine.

Here was my build thread so you can see my mods.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hp-510wtq.html

Ive got a ported FAST manifold/NW102/FIC 60lb injectors sitting in my living room waiting to go on and im hoping to pick up 20-30 whp/wtq with the combo.

With what you are talking about above dont forget injectors as you will max out your factory injectors with all the air flow.

5hunnit5-C6Z 06-06-2016 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by rjacobs (Post 1592364248)
if you have 93 mill the heads .030. Supposedly its worth 30whp(10 per .010 you mill), again supposedly from what I read on here. AHP did my heads and, I dont want to put words in Kohle's mouth, but he said something along the lines of "if you only have 91, mill .020, but if you have 93, mill .030. We recommend this to everybody as its a big gain". Something along those lines. I would guess WCCH would recommend similar, although I never talked to them.

Local guy has a bigger cam than I do, but no head milling or P&P and he is down 30whp from me(with other mods being "similar"). If he gets his heads milled and P&P I bet he will pick up 40-50whp due to his cam specs.

As far as the BTR Stage 2, im VERY happy with mine.

Here was my build thread so you can see my mods.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hp-510wtq.html

Ive got a ported FAST manifold/NW102/FIC 60lb injectors sitting in my living room waiting to go on and im hoping to pick up 20-30 whp/wtq with the combo.

With what you are talking about above dont forget injectors as you will max out your factory injectors with all the air flow.

Very nice build, I'm liking that btr 2 more all the time! Injectors is not something I've considered, but will certainly heed the advice of tuner when the time comes. Man I'm ready to get this project off the ground!

rjacobs 06-06-2016 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 5hunnit5-C6Z (Post 1592364324)
Injectors is not something I've considered, but will certainly heed the advice of tuner when the time comes.

With that build as it sits today(without the manifold and throttle body) I was at 92% IDC, which is to high IMO.

With what you are talking about doing(pending your final cam choice, port work, milling, etc..) my guess is you will also run the risk of running out of injector too.

I did not get injectors right off the bat due to talking with the other local guy who has a build similar to mine(save for all my head work) and he was at mid 80's on his IDC(think he said 85%). So with my heads flowing a ton more air the fuel needs went up a bit. I am roughly 30whp more than him which is around 5% more whp, and im using roughly 7% more IDC. Now a lot of that depends on the tune and I dont know what his tuner targets for AFR, I believe I am slightly rich at ~12:1 at WOT, his tuner might target 12.3-12.5(seems to be more common) so slightly leaner.

5hunnit5-C6Z 06-06-2016 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by rjacobs (Post 1592364448)
Now a lot of that depends on the tune.

This is something that I've got to really do some homework on, I don't know of any reputable tuners in my area, if there are great, but I just don't know, just off the top I think VR may the closest in north GA. I think I'd have better luck reading a Chinese diy manual vs making sense of a tune file!

rjacobs 06-06-2016 11:33 AM

You say NW Tennessee. Brian Tooley is just outside of Louisville. Probably 3 hour drive from you. Otherwise up in to southern St. Louis at CBI Street Cars. Beyond that, no clue. There has to be a few shops in Memphis or Nashville that are decent.

5hunnit5-C6Z 06-06-2016 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by rjacobs (Post 1592364682)
You say NW Tennessee. Brian Tooley is just outside of Louisville. Probably 3 hour drive from you. Otherwise up in to southern St. Louis at CBI Street Cars. Beyond that, no clue. There has to be a few shops in Memphis or Nashville that are decent.

Didn't realize BTR was that close, so that's certainly an option. I too assumed Memphis & Nashville would have reputable shops, and I'm sure they do, just not any that I've seen mentioned or know about. I'm prob 3 hr from Memphis, 2 hr from Nashville

Unreal 06-06-2016 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by RGT (Post 1592362656)

Agreed

5hunnit5-C6Z 06-06-2016 06:05 PM

Email sent to Tony Mamo, awaiting response to see what the offerings are.

rio95 06-06-2016 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by rjacobs (Post 1592364448)
With that build as it sits today(without the manifold and throttle body) I was at 92% IDC, which is to high IMO.

With what you are talking about doing(pending your final cam choice, port work, milling, etc..) my guess is you will also run the risk of running out of injector too.

I did not get injectors right off the bat due to talking with the other local guy who has a build similar to mine(save for all my head work) and he was at mid 80's on his IDC(think he said 85%). So with my heads flowing a ton more air the fuel needs went up a bit. I am roughly 30whp more than him which is around 5% more whp, and im using roughly 7% more IDC. Now a lot of that depends on the tune and I dont know what his tuner targets for AFR, I believe I am slightly rich at ~12:1 at WOT, his tuner might target 12.3-12.5(seems to be more common) so slightly leaner.

If u go with a larger cam he's probably right. I have a very similar setup, except mamo fast with stock TB, and I'm at 92% duty with stock injectors. I don't seem to have a problem being at 92% but I wouldn't puah them much farther. Oh and I'm running on the richer side at 0.85 lambda. LS7s like fuel and need it to keep the #7 cylinder in one piece in my opinion.

5hunnit5-C6Z 06-06-2016 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by rio95 (Post 1592368801)
If u go with a larger cam he's probably right. I have a very similar setup, except mamo fast with stock TB, and I'm at 92% duty with stock injectors. I don't seem to have a problem being at 92% but I wouldn't puah them much farther. Oh and I'm running on the richer side at 0.85 lambda. LS7s like fuel and need it to keep the #7 cylinder in one piece in my opinion.

Awaiting some details on cam, and I can't pretend to know anything about lambda...but certainly will give car whatever it needs to operate efficiently.

seamus2154 06-06-2016 09:44 PM

My build was done at Redline and it is insane and a track monster. Nothing crazy but heres the list.
2011 zo6 w/ 20,000miles :
MSD intake
Trick flow heads out of the box!
Torquer 110
GM race lifters
C5R TC
TC damper
ARH 1 7/8 no cats, stock mufflers
stock TB
ATI damper balancer
Redline tuned

Car is a completely different car, very reliable, fast as hell. 565 RWHP and 528 rwtq. I am not a drag racer I do HPDE. I am not looking for 1/10ths. I am looking for torque everywhere and my car now hangs with the best of them reliably.

5hunnit5-C6Z 06-06-2016 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by seamus2154 (Post 1592369025)
My build was done at Redline and it is insane and a track monster. Nothing crazy but heres the list.
MSD intake
Torquer 110
GM race lifters
C5R TC
TC damper
stock TB
ATI damper balancer
Redline tuned

Car is a completely different car, very reliable, fast as hell. 565 RWHP. I am not a drag racer I do HPDE. I am not looking for 1/10ths. I am looking for torque everywhere and my car now hangs with the best of them reliably.

Nice build, nothing erratic and everything works like it's supposed to! I'm looking forward to getting down to the nut cuttin on my build, should be interesting!

FNBADAZ06 06-07-2016 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by seamus2154 (Post 1592369025)
MSD intake
Torquer 110
GM race lifters
C5R TC
TC damper
stock TB
ATI damper balancer
Redline tuned

Car is a completely different car, very reliable, fast as hell. 565 RWHP and 528 rwtq. I am not a drag racer I do HPDE. I am not looking for 1/10ths. I am looking for torque everywhere and my car now hangs with the best of them reliably.

I had a similar build, but unported FAST 102 and ran E85 which gave me even greater torque output...it destroys tires, even at 60 MPH rolls, :rock:
Ran 10.50's at 130+ at the drag strip too :thumbs: