CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Successful Retrofit of Bluetooth to 2007 c6 Corvette (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3839565-successful-retrofit-of-bluetooth-to-2007-c6-corvette.html)

trayc6 06-21-2016 01:00 AM

Successful Retrofit of Bluetooth to 2007 c6 Corvette

Hello All,
I would like to report that I have successfully retrofitted my 2007 c6 Corvette with OEM bluetooth capability. Thanks to this forum, and most notably, Lee Cromwell, Kent1999, Ray Kawal, and Dcasole for their input, suggestions, and comprehensive posts, I was able to research, disseminate the information, and proceed with my retrofit in a more confident manner. So, anyone out there still thinking that it can't be done, well I'm here to tell you that it can be done, provided that you have the correct parts. You will need a 2007+ clockspring, 2011-13 Nav radio, SWC (audio and bluetooth), and the most important, and difficult to find, 2009+ OnStar module with bluetooth (thanks Kent1999). Now GM may make the OnStar bluetooth module for other vehicles that might work in the Corvette, but that I don't know that for sure. I was lucky enough to find a unit out of a 2010 Corvette z06. The wire harness plugs were the same, (thank God), and no dealer reprogramming was necessary. Also, on the SWC, make sure, if you are retrofitting those controls into your current steering wheel, (like I did), you have the controls with the 5 pin connections on them (thanks Lee Cromwell). I also installed the center console with USB and Aux ports. You may not need to have the center console installed to have Bluetooth, but since I was upgrading my radio, I wanted to have the feature of iPod control and optional connectivity for any source of media I chose to listen to. As Ray Kawal mentioned in his posting about the newer Nav radios interface being better than previous Nav radios, he was truly correct! I love being able to search, and control my iPod while seeing the song information readily. The only thing I have left to upgrade is the A-pillar microphone. On the calls that I have made from the car so far, people have said they can hear me clearly with the current 2007 microphone. But, since I have the upgrade bug, I will change it to the newer model microphone soon. Good luck to anyone wanting to do this mod. You will enjoy it, and the best part is that it is all OEM!

07MontyRed 06-21-2016 06:23 AM

That is good news since I also have a 2007 and already added a 2012 Nav (and center console). You say a 2007+ clock spring? Does that mean you just kept using your original clock spring? Thanks!

trayc6 06-21-2016 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by 07MontyRed (Post 1592468215)
That is good news since I also have a 2007 and already added a 2012 Nav (and center console). You say a 2007+ clock spring? Does that mean you just kept using your original clock spring? Thanks!

Hi. Yes, I used my original clock spring. I was lucky to have had the newer revised clock spring already installed in my car. I read that GM had made a clock spring revision. The older clock spring was from 2005 - 2007 ish. In earlier produced 2007 model Corvettes, they may have had the older clock spring installed.

ben dover 06-21-2016 07:46 AM

Thanks for the good info.

Kent1999 06-21-2016 02:50 PM

Good to know! I was thinking it might work with pre-2009 cars --- good job stepping up and trying it!
:thumbs:

Dcasole 06-21-2016 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kent1999 (Post 1592471411)
Good to know! I was thinking it might work with pre-2009 cars --- good job stepping up and trying it!

I also want to thank Kent and Ray as their information allowed me to add the Nav, console, AUX Jack and factory Bluetooth

Glad my posts helped

Dave

Lee Cromwell 06-22-2016 12:10 AM

Awesome job! I know I'll soon follow your footsteps! I know the challenges you faced but you pushed through! Great job!
Lee

1FUNC5 06-22-2016 06:47 AM

I wonder if you still need the on star module of you've changed out the radio to aftermarket and running a programmable steering wheel control module with it

Silver 07 06-22-2016 09:46 PM

I was wondering if you can use a 2009 system with Bluetooth or does it have to be 2011 or newer, I have found a 2009 with Bluetooth, I was told it did.

Thanks

Dcasole 06-22-2016 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by glamis.man (Post 1592481352)
I was wondering if you can use a 2009 system with Bluetooth or does it have to be 2011 or newer, I have found a 2009 with Bluetooth, I was told it did.

Thanks

What system are you talking about, the onstar VCM or your head unit

The Bluetooth is in the onstar unit so any VCM that has blue tooth will work , the only issue is if you use Onstar they will think that your car is the donor car as there is no way to change it in their system

There are a few guys that can reprogram it to your car but for me it was not worth it

I was lucky and found one that was out of a red 2011 coupe ..what's the chances of that happening lol lol

Dave

trayc6 06-22-2016 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kent1999 (Post 1592471411)

Thank you. I am soooo glad it worked out. I hope it works out for other forumners (is that a word?) also....

trayc6 06-22-2016 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by 1FUNC5 (Post 1592475630)
I wonder if you still need the on star module of you've changed out the radio to aftermarket and running a programmable steering wheel control module with it

Hi. If you changed out the OEM radio to aftermarket, then you probably have bluetooth capability in the radio. Therefore, you won't, or shouldn't, need the OEM OnStar module to make hands-free phone calls. I wanted complete OEM parts, primarily because I wanted to keep my HUD functional, and I like the idea of full integration, so therefore I needed the module.

trayc6 06-22-2016 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by glamis.man (Post 1592481352)

Thanks

If you have a 2009 OEM Nav radio, I am pretty sure the 2009 bluetooth OnStar module should work. MAKE SURE, it has the bluetooth symbol on the unit before you purchase it. I believe that is the year bluetooth became available for the Corvette. However, if you wanted to have iPod control, or the ability to listen to any other media device, with a 2009 Nav radio, you will have to install a gateway of some type to listen to optional music sources.

trayc6 06-22-2016 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dcasole (Post 1592481381)

The Bluetooth is in the onstar unit so any VCM that has blue tooth will work , the only issue is if you use Onstar they will think that your car is the donor car as there is no way to change it in their system

There are a few guys that can reprogram it to your car but for me it was not worth it

I was lucky and found one that was out of a red 2011 coupe ..what's the chances of that happening lol lol

Dave

:iagree:

trayc6 06-22-2016 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lee Cromwell (Post 1592475158)
Awesome job! I know I'll soon follow your footsteps! I know the challenges you faced but you pushed through! Great job!
Lee

Thank you. Let me know when I can be of service to you. I'm always glad to help out fellow Corvette enthusiasts. My motto is to always pay it forward. When information is gained, it should be shared, not sat upon....

trayc6 06-22-2016 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by ben dover (Post 1592468449)
Thanks for the good info.

Your welcomed....

Bat66 06-22-2016 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by 0Sevnvette (Post 1592482059)
Thank you. Let me know when I can be of service to you. I'm always glad to help out fellow Corvette enthusiasts. My motto is to always pay it forward. When information is gained, it should be shared, not sat upon....

:iagree:

OlyC6 06-23-2016 02:26 AM

Can you provide what your total cost came to in adding the integrated OEM BT functionality? I too have an 07 and have slightly lamented that it doesn't have BT.... but frankly, when I'm driving, talking on the phone is one of the last things on my mind. I would like to play my music from smartphone though.

So knowing approximately what your cost came to would be helpful in making a decision on moving fwd... or just enjoying the rig "as-is" with the Sirius/XM radio.

Silver 07 06-23-2016 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dcasole (Post 1592481381)

Dave

Dave, I have a 07 with navigation and onstar and want to be able to stream my music through the radio, I found a 09 radio and was told it has blue tooth, just wondered if I swap the radios will I be able to do this.

I don't use the onstar.

Thanks

Silver 07 06-23-2016 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 0Sevnvette (Post 1592482020)
If you have a 2009 OEM Nav radio, I am pretty sure the 2009 bluetooth OnStar module should work. MAKE SURE, it has the bluetooth symbol on the unit before you purchase it. I believe that is the year bluetooth became available for the Corvette. However, if you wanted to have iPod control, or the ability to listen to any other media device, with a 2009 Nav radio, you will have to install a gateway of some type to listen to optional music sources.

Where is the bluetooth symbol on the stock unit, the one I'm looking at looks the same as mine, not sure it only shows up when powered up.

Thanks