CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Blown LS7 - Replacement cost?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3842519-blown-ls7-replacement-cost.html)

dp201 06-27-2016 09:17 PM

Blown LS7 - Replacement cost??

Blew my 2008 LS7 motor a week ago. Dealer has quoted 21.9K with tax for a replacement engine. For those that have cracked this nut before me, is this in line with what you paid? They do provide a 3 yr 36k warranty. Car has just over 19,000 miles, stock engine, and has been well maintained with regular service from the dealer. Happened during a DE event of which I do about 3per year for fun . Always careful not to over rev, turning maybe 6k when it happened. Dealer says #1 pistón failed and went through the block. I suspect that this is a dropped valve that caused it, but they seem clueless about this issue. Just came off of aftermarket warranty sold by Chev dealer where i purchased it and I was going to get the heads done soon. Shame for all of us to have to worry about this valve issue and having to resort to aftermarket solutions. GM has somewhat acknowledged the issue but I'm sure it's understated since so many are garage queens and don't get run much. Love the car and hate to part with it, but I'm having a hard time justifying putting 22k into it. Has anyone h. ad any luck with customer service working with you a little with the cost of the motor?

rjacobs 06-27-2016 09:21 PM

are the heads ok?

Is the crank ok?

How bout the majority of the rods?

Depending on what you can salvage, a new LS7 block from GM is ~2700, then you have more costs depending on what can be salvaged and what is trash.

22k could buy you a bad ass ERL, LME, RHS, etc... motor with some sick heads, etc...

dp201 06-27-2016 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by rjacobs (Post 1592515119)
are the heads ok?

Is the crank ok?

Depending on what you can salvage, a new LS7 block from GM is ~2700, then you have more costs depending on what can be salvaged and what is trash.

22k could buy you a bad ass ERL, LME, RHS, etc... motor with some sick heads, etc...

I'm going to have them pull the head to see if the valve is intact. I have to know for certain if it's a dropped valve like I suspect r some other issue. Suposedly piston#1.

SSMOKE 06-27-2016 09:41 PM

Sorry about your motor. When I had 10,000 miles on my car, I got my heads done because I did not want to drop a valve. Then after a few very enjoyable years I left CORVETTE FORUM because it wasn't fun for me anymore. Same old, same old, blown motor threads and uncivilized discussions about the fix. Now, 7,000 miles after I got my heads done, I am back because it seems to becoming evident that my new heads did not solve the problem. Right back where I left off, thread after thread about LS7's with catastrophic failure. Again, sorry for you loss.

sccaGT1racer 06-27-2016 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by dp201 (Post 1592515070)
Blew my 2008 LS7 motor a week ago. Dealer has quoted 21.9K with tax for a replacement engine. For those that have cracked this nut before me, is this in line with what you paid? They do provide a 3 yr 36k warranty. Car has just over 19,000 miles, stock engine, and has been well maintained with regular service from the dealer. Happened during a DE event of which I do about 3per year for fun . Always careful not to over rev, turning maybe 6k when it happened. Dealer says #1 pistón failed and went through the block. I suspect that this is a dropped valve that caused it, but they seem clueless about this issue. Just came off of aftermarket warranty sold by Chev dealer where i purchased it and I was going to get the heads done soon. Shame for all of us to have to worry about this valve issue and having to resort to aftermarket solutions. GM has somewhat acknowledged the issue but I'm sure it's understated since so many are garage queens and don't get run much. Love the car and hate to part with it, but I'm having a hard time justifying putting 22k into it. Has anyone h. ad any luck with customer service working with you a little with the cost of the motor?

summit and jegs both offer these engines 12500 with free shipping

Gary '09 C6 06-27-2016 09:56 PM

if no warranty, sell it for salvage, and if you desire, buy another...IMO your car is too old to justify spending that kind of coin on repairs.

too bad this happened, for sure...

richie427 06-27-2016 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by sccaGT1racer (Post 1592515342)
summit and jegs both offer these engines 12500 with free shipping

I cant remember the chevy dealearship, but its in PA , I think its a bit more, but intake is there water pump, damper, pullies, plugs wires, etc. I think they gave me a price of 12,995.00. might be lower, i would have to check my composition books. then you need to supply oil cooler, lines, the 2 that go into the tank. thats about 500.00+. Now then, you have a new motor. Thats all stock. Got the info from here. When my motor dropped a valve. Went a different route.:cheers:

Unreal 06-27-2016 11:06 PM

Find someone who is building a big FI build and selling their stock motor. I sold my stock short block for $3500. Friend sold his for $3800. Another friend picked one up for $3500 after dropping a valve. Then, even if you put $1000 into it to refresh it, you are ahead of the game.

If heads are trashed, just pick up a set of used heads, put the $300-1000 into them for new guides/valves/etc. With gaskets/etc you can do it for $7k or so if you find some decent deals. Then you need to replace the oil system, etc etc. That adds up. If you are lucky, you can probably do it all for ~$7.5k-10k in parts depending on what you replace and select. Then labor to swap/assemble should be no more than $3-3.5k.

Frans96ss 06-28-2016 12:07 AM

Give us a call. We can get you taken care of for WAY cheaper than that with better parts.

Www.raceprovenmotorsports.net.

Www.facebook.com/raceprovenmotorsports

Frankie2blue 06-28-2016 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by SSMOKE (Post 1592515309)
Sorry about your motor. When I had 10,000 miles on my car, I got my heads done because I did not want to drop a valve. Then after a few very enjoyable years I left CORVETTE FORUM because it wasn't fun for me anymore. Same old, same old, blown motor threads and uncivilized discussions about the fix. Now, 7,000 miles after I got my heads done, I am back because it seems to becoming evident that my new heads did not solve the problem. Right back where I left off, thread after thread about LS7's with catastrophic failure. Again, sorry for you loss.

Why is it becoming evident that your new heads at 10000 miles did not fix the problem? Who did the work and what parts were used? I have been under the impression that a good shop doing the heads does indeed fix the problem.

Pelan 06-28-2016 09:50 AM

I have a ls7 long block ill sell you. 16, 500 miles heads are "fixed"

JoesC5 06-28-2016 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue (Post 1592517452)
Why is it becoming evident that your new heads at 10000 miles did not fix the problem? Who did the work and what parts were used? I have been under the impression that a good shop doing the heads does indeed fix the problem.

I agree. At 25,500 miles I installed new PRC265 heads on my 09 and now I'm at 49,500 miles with no problems.

Lawdogg 06-28-2016 10:55 AM

If dealer is replacing the entire engine including intake manifold, oil cooler and lines, dry sump tank, etc. then the price quoted is not out of line for what a dealer would charge. It is about the same as the invoice I received when GM replaced mine under warranty including all the above items. As others have said, there are probably better engine alternatives.

Da Z06 06-28-2016 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue (Post 1592517452)

This. More info.

Unreal 06-28-2016 12:15 PM

All the threads pretty much say the opposite. The vast majority of "fixed" heads are now getting enough miles, and rechecked without failures or excessive wear. So interesting to see why he thinks that isn't the case.

lamboworld 06-28-2016 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Unreal (Post 1592519060)
All the threads pretty much say the opposite. The vast majority of "fixed" heads are now getting enough miles, and rechecked without failures or excessive wear. So interesting to see why he thinks that isn't the case.

Maybe GM rebuilt his heads.

erick_e 06-28-2016 12:58 PM

With so few miles, and so many known issues, if it failed due to an exhaust valve you could try and see if GM offers any "good will" assistance towards the cost of repairs.

DJ'sZ 06-28-2016 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by rjacobs (Post 1592515119)
are the heads ok?

Is the crank ok?

Where are you able to find a new LS7 block for $2700?

erick_e 06-28-2016 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by DJ'sZ (Post 1592519662)
Where are you able to find a new LS7 block for $2700?

Jegs has them for that. Can probably do much better than that retail price from vendor.

blue 85 06-28-2016 01:57 PM

Spun #4 main bearing. Went to LME 440 short block Msd manifold and new cam and nick williams 104 at 14,000 now doing instal my self. Budgeted for 15,000 hope to say under that.