CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   What short thrower shifter do you recommend for your c5 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3842523-what-short-thrower-shifter-do-you-recommend-for-your-c5.html)

Studda07 06-27-2016 09:24 PM

What short thrower shifter do you recommend for your c5

Im thinking about installing a short thrower shifter in my c5 and need some advice! Is hinson the way to go? Is it worth installing or just keep it stock?

73Corvette 06-27-2016 09:27 PM

MGW, Hinson, Kirban... take your pick all seem to be liked by whoever gets them...:cheers: I got a C6 Z06 and love it.. it isn't short throw but a great improvement...

frsr06 06-27-2016 09:31 PM

MGW is awesome:thumbs:

Pounder 06-27-2016 09:43 PM

MGW !!!!!
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a117c4f51e.jpg

FrankLP 06-27-2016 10:08 PM

The latest generation MGW with their lower box is a great setup!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...pseqdgoun6.jpg

1Willy1 06-27-2016 10:19 PM

from what I understand I have the older generation MGW, and its a huge improvement over the stock shifter

Very precise shifts, sort of just "clicks" into place, shorter throws..I like it

v8srfun 06-27-2016 11:22 PM

I have a hurst and think it is probably the shi&$?@$? Shifter I have ever owned. Others may like them but I don't like the way it feels.

Studda07 06-28-2016 09:13 AM

FrankLP i like that set up a lot! How was the install?

johnson-rod 06-28-2016 09:18 AM

I have a Hurst and while I think it's over fiddly and notchy, that 2-3 shift is better than sex.

LoneStarFRC 06-28-2016 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by FrankLP (Post 1592515530)

:iagree:

danh52 06-28-2016 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by FrankLP (Post 1592515530)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...pseqdgoun6.jpg

Did you orient the shifter in the 12 o'clock position or the 6 o'clock position? Assuming you have the latest version with the offset stick.

2FAS4UU 06-28-2016 11:28 AM

:steering:....Kirban here, I have had this shifter for 12 years and it still works great, plus, I bought it new/used !! I can't say whether one shifter excels over the other, but almost any aftermarket short shifter is light years better than a stock one !!!...:cheers:
* Side note - Drove my friends 02' Z06 last week with the factory shifter, I thought I was trying out for the next row boat olympic trials !!!!!!!

twokbolt 06-28-2016 11:53 AM

After reviewing all the opinions I ordered an MGW for my car last night.

dbgoodwin 06-28-2016 02:42 PM

People here seem to love the mgw. People here also seem to love chrome tail light louvers.

If you see where that's going, you know to take advice on things such as shifters/appearance mods with a grain of salt.

I, for one, like a ahifter that is really stiff. Almost too stiff for an average person to shift. C6 didn't do it for me, hurst didn't do it for me, rsd didn't do it for me. Ended up with a B&M and it's perfect. If someone gets in my car the first thing they say is "holy crap this shifter is stiff" but it's exactly what I want.

Good luck, enjoy your mgw

FrankLP 06-28-2016 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Studda07 (Post 1592517644)
FrankLP i like that set up a lot! How was the install?

Piece of cake. If you've never had the stock C5 knob off, that's probably the worst part of it. MGW has great install videos on their website that walk you through all of it...very detailed and good.

FrankLP 06-28-2016 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by danh52 (Post 1592518551)
Did you orient the shifter in the 12 o'clock position or the 6 o'clock position? Assuming you have the latest version with the offset stick.

That's actually a good question! IIRC I installed it at the 6 o'clock position, but now that you have me thinking about it, I'm wondering if I received the offset stick.

It was certainly supposed to be the latest version; ordered it last February and it came with the lower box, but I honestly will have to check when I have time to tear it apart again.

jackthelad 06-28-2016 04:29 PM

You can spend anything from hundreds of dollars to $50 to get short shifting. First, you need to decided how much more shift effort you want - physics 1.01 tells us half the shift travel = twice the shift effort. Then what you want it to look like, and how much you want to spend.

I and quite a few others run the economy solution - a cut down C5 shifter, Cut down as in shorter lever and shorter throws. You need a new knob, say $30-40 and a $10 die to extend the thread. Oh, and a hacksaw.

2FAS4UU 06-28-2016 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin (Post 1592520181)
People here seem to love the mgw. People here also seem to love chrome tail light louvers.

If you see where that's going, you know to take advice on things such as shifters/appearance mods with a grain of salt.

I, for one, like a ahifter that is really stiff. Almost too stiff for an average person to shift. C6 didn't do it for me, hurst didn't do it for me, rsd didn't do it for me. Ended up with a B&M and it's perfect. If someone gets in my car the first thing they say is "holy crap this shifter is stiff" but it's exactly what I want.

Good luck, enjoy your mgw

:iagree:...Totally !! Taste and needs is subjective when it comes to cars and other issue's. There has been a few times when watching a valet try to park my car, with apprehension, and watch them trying to manipulate the shifter to go into a forward gear or into reverse. I have to walk over and show them how it's done,lol, and then listen to their response, ' My Honda doesn't have to use this much effort to shift ' !!!..:lol::lol::lol:

LoneStarFRC 06-28-2016 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by FrankLP (Post 1592520962)
That's actually a good question! IIRC I installed it at the 6 o'clock position, but now that you have me thinking about it, I'm wondering if I received the offset stick.

It was certainly supposed to be the latest version; ordered it last February and it came with the lower box, but I honestly will have to check when I have time to tear it apart again.

Look at pounders pic in post #4. That's the only "offset" stick that MGW offers that I'm aware of. It is anodized aluminum and comes in a couple different colors.
If your stick is round stainless steel (which it appears to be in your picture), it is the standard C5/C6 stick. There IS no offset stainless steel stick that I'm aware of.

HTH

dbgoodwin 06-28-2016 05:31 PM

Also whatever you do, don't listen to the guys who tell you "you wasted your money on a short shifter, the slop is in the transmission not the shifter. Stock shifter is just as fast as a short shifter."

They don't fully understand physics, or understand that a short shifter is about feel, not actual speed.

That said, anyone in NC have an MGW? A curious soul wants to give it a try :rofl: