CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   If I sold my 08 C6 and bought a Mid-Year Coupe...... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3851930-if-i-sold-my-08-c6-and-bought-a-mid-year-coupe.html)

carl3989 07-19-2016 11:55 AM

If I sold my 08 C6 and bought a Mid-Year Coupe......

what would I be giving up. Don't get me wrong I love my C6 but I've also loved the looks of a C2 coupe all my adult life. Now that I'm retired I have the means to afford a toy, yet not the stamina to do any major wrenching. I would need to have a/c and a manual tranny in the C2, otherwise I really don't care about matching numbers or the year (although who can not love the 63 coupe but way out of my price range). So, what would I need to spend for a reasonably priced and reliable (hopefully those two words are not mutually exclusive) C2 coupe to use on day trips. Or should I forget about this dream because mid years are only good to take to a car show? Your advise please.:toetap:

1snake 07-19-2016 12:46 PM

I suggest you drive a C2 before you do anything. Compared to your C6, you may be very disappointed.

tuxnharley 07-19-2016 12:57 PM

Well, it depends on how you want to use it.

I have both an '06, and a '67. I love them both, but they are very different animals. The '67 is fun for short trips and car shows etc. it is hot, noisy, rides rough etc - which is what makes it fun - for a while.......
The '06 is much more sophisticated vehicle in many ways, and is what I use for longer trips and on hot days.

So - what do you want the car to do for you? Do you have another driver for long trips?

I agree with 1snake - definitely drive a C2 before you decide!

:cheers:

Nowhere Man 07-19-2016 01:10 PM

with what they both said. but if you can't wrench and some of the most basic repairs and troubleshoot a old car is not for you. they can be reliable but they are 50 years old and the parts were designed 60 years ago. things will go wrong and break. I don't care if its fully restored or not. if you drive it enough sooner or latter something can ware out. the only thing a C6 has in common with a mid year is the name, it has two seats, and its a V8 RWD car. after that its night and day

Bluestripe67 07-19-2016 01:13 PM

I would suggest you focus on a small block for starters. Don't discount any coupe that has retro fitted A/C and 5-speed. These two features will give you a comfortable ride and very decent gas milage, if the latter is of concern. Side exhaust has it's pluses and minuses. The '63-'64 have drum brakes and can be just fine. Some people retro fit discs on the front of these cars too increase the brake feel. Discs started in '65. If you pass the drive test and start your search, keep in mind that the car you want should be surveyed by a knowledgable C-2 experienced person. I hope this helps.:cheers: Dennis

63Corvette 07-19-2016 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1592659498)
with what they both said. but if you can't wrench and some of the most basic repairs and troubleshoot a old car is not for you. they can be reliable but they are 50 years old and the parts were designed 60 years ago. things will go wrong and break. I don't care if its fully restored or not. if you drive it enough sooner or latter something can ware out. the only thing a C6 has in common with a mid year is the name, it has two seats, and its a V8 RWD car. after that its night and day

:iagree:I SO agree!!!
My RACE car is a 1963 Z06
My STREET car is a 04 Z06
The 04 NEVER needs anything (except for oil and gas)
The 63 ALWAYS needs.............everything!:D

DansYellow66 07-19-2016 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by carl3989 (Post 1592658870)
So, what would I need to spend for a reasonably priced and reliable (hopefully those two words are not mutually exclusive) C2 coupe to use on day trips.:

IMO - if you don't regularly wrench on cars and enjoy doing your own maintenance work - these objectives (reliable and day trips) will eventually become mutually exclusive.

You can possibly work around it if you know of a good, reputable old cars repair mechanic and if you buy the right car that has been rebuilt from front to rear (goanna cost more $).

These are not good cars for day trips although there are many people here who still use them for that - but typically they have for decades and they know their cars and their limitations pretty well. If you park it somewhere it will probably get stolen. These cars need regular troubleshooting - ignition problems, fuel/perculation problems, fluid leaks, balky wiring harnesses, etc, etc.

If you insure it to drive all over, you will have to go to regular car insurance and you can forget about a stated value coverage when a teenager runs over you while texting. And if you are retired, then you are getting up towards my age and the fact is these are not exactly safe cars to be commuting around in, in today's crazy traffic. If you are hit hard by someone in a 6000 lb SUV you are probably going to be at least badly injured. If you are in your 60s or older you are probably going to be dead.

If you can manage to keep the 06 for daily use and afford to pick up a NOM, less than perfect C2 for occasional use and fun, then that is a more realistic goal.

cv67 07-19-2016 02:20 PM

All good tips

Post in your regional section see if a member will let you ride along for an afternoon maybe take the wheel, sure someone will. Youll know at the end of the day if you gotta have one or not.
Its nothing like you have now, as said just the name.

webfiero 07-19-2016 02:29 PM

Obviously, in the end your opinion will be the deciding factor for your contemplated switch from what is relatively new Vette technology to an early technology. So, I'd recommend that you try to find owners of C-2's in your area that would let you drive their cars. I bet there are Corvette forum members reading you post right now that are close to you and would be available to help you out on this.

Depending on your age, I'm '73, you may or may not be startled by the difference in the characters of these two generations of cars. For me, my '66 coupe is technology from my youth so I actually feel at home with how my car performs. In fact, it's exactly what I want. I drive my car as much as I can because it puts a big A$$ smile on my face. Plus, C-2's have been like T-Bills for decades. In fact, given the yields on 10 treasuries, my car may outperform them this year. Anyway, good luck with your decision.

dkleather 07-19-2016 02:54 PM

Well, the C2 will put a much bigger smile on your face during and after your drives than your C6 but you'll buy that smile with less comfort, convenience and reliability. I drive my 64 on "short" trips usually no more than 300 miles or so and the C5 when I want some comfort on longer trips or overnights. I worry more about leaving the 64 parked for extended periods .... I know, it's insured.... but that doesn't make it any easier.
Drive a C2 and then shop for one with experienced help if you decide to buy. The best of both worlds would be if you could keep the C6 as well.
They're two very different experiences. Come to Ohio..you can drive mine! :thumbs: Dave

ChattanoogaJSB 07-19-2016 04:09 PM

You have received a lot of good advice! In answer to your question I think the sweet spot for a well sorted and truly well maintained driver c2- not original motor, but generally appearing stock will put you in the mid $40k range. $50k should buy you a gem of an NOM car. There are a lot for sale at this price so beware- some are real junk underneath.

I love my '64, and would say I feel they are the most elegant of the second generation, but I concede to the fact that they tend to run a bit less price-wise than others. 67's aren't as high as 63's in general terms but they are more than 64-66, all else being equal.

Good luck!

daz_au 07-19-2016 04:28 PM

I know someone that was buying a brand new Benz every 3 years and decided to stop and get a midyear instead.

He had no interest in maintaining the car himself but when you consider the maintenance and depreciation of the Merc, he is way in front paying a good mechanic to do anything necessary on the car.

While he uses the car for a small commute and fun on the weekends, they still take the wifes car at night or on longer trips.

65GGvert 07-19-2016 05:38 PM

My opinion, you won't feel comfortable driving a C2 and leaving it in a parking lot or outside parking anywhere unless you are right there with it. Really fun car to drive, but falls short in all comparisons for driving comfort. (a/c, stereo, economy, suspension, reliability, etc). If you have a dream to own a C2, that's great. If it's just a "I'll think I'll try it and see if it's ok" type thing, you may be disappointed. Like they told you above, your first decision should be what you want to do with the car and how much. I've had a C2 most of the time since 1968, and they were daily drivers then. Not now.

MaineDoc 07-19-2016 05:51 PM

I have a 2014 convertible now and prefer that over my 66 convertible for long trips as well trips to Home Depot. If the 14 is stolen I could replace it in a heartbeat, not so much with the 66 Duntov. Still on a warm summer night in Maine nothing is better than a ride in the 66 with the top down and rowing through the gears. Going to McDonald's for my 2 o'clock board meeting with other old farts I take the 64 Riviera.

jasonsamara 07-19-2016 08:41 PM

I say go for it because you only live once. If you know a good mechanic I think you would be fine not turning the wrenches yourself. Sure they are hot, uncomfortable and no modern comforts, but you will be smiling ear to ear while sweating your rear end off. What's the worst case scenario? You can always try it for a year and if you don't like it, sell it (probably for more or close to what you paid) and buy another C6 (cheaper and nicer than the one you have now).

PAmotorman 07-19-2016 09:04 PM

I owned all new a 63 SWC,64,65 396 and 66 427 and I would not have traded my 08 for any of them.

Larry P 07-19-2016 09:12 PM

I have a C6 and a 60. If I had to get rid of one, it would be the 60.
What everybody else said about maintenance.
I can't imagine driving a 50+ year old car and not know how to or not want to work on it.
Larry

Zoomin 07-19-2016 10:27 PM

What you'll be giving up going to a C2 is depreciation, high priced tires, and high insurance premiums. Your C6 is going to cost you more to own than a C2.

1snake 07-19-2016 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 1592663245)
What you'll be giving up going to a C2 is depreciation, high priced tires, and high insurance premiums. Your C6 is going to cost you more to own than a C2.

Not so on the insurance premiums. You can insure them with the same driving restrictions for approx. the same price. Going to a C2, you'll also give up, reliability, comfort, performance, gas mileage and safety.

Scott Marzahl 07-19-2016 10:52 PM

Buy a C2 Restomod, best of both worlds.