CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   2013 GS or 2014/2015 (non-Z51)Stingray? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3857375-2013-gs-or-2014-2015-non-z51-stingray.html)

ExRedRacer 07-30-2016 11:29 PM

2013 GS or 2014/2015 (non-Z51)Stingray?

For those who came to your C7 from the 2013 GS....

As objectively as possible, how close is the performance of the C6 GS 3LT to that of the base non-Z51 1LT Stingray?

The prices are not that far apart and I'm trying to decide between the two. I could use some insight as to how the two compare with each other in terms of handling, acceleration and all that. I love the look of the C6 but the C7 has started to really appeal to me.

Thanks in advance.

robert miller 07-30-2016 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Red Racer (Post 1592742270)

As objectively as possible, how close is the performance of the C6 GS 3LT to that of the base non-Z51 1LT Stingray?

The prices are not that far apart and I'm trying to decide between the two. I could use some insight as to how the two compare with each other in terms of handling, acceleration and all that. I love the look of the C6 and the C7 has started to really appeal to me.

Thanks in advance.

Go with the c7 you will not look back after you get it over the c6. C7 much better overall car..:thumbs:

E.T.D. Corvettes 07-30-2016 11:56 PM

The prices are not that far apart and I'm trying to decide between the two. I could use some insight as to how the two compare with each other in terms of handling, acceleration and all that. I love the look of the C6 but the C7 has started to really appeal to me.

Thanks in advance.

Until recently, I owned a 2013 GS Vert and a 2014 base M7 Stingray Coupe (and my wife's 2015 base A8 Stingray Coupe). The C7 is hands down is a significant step up in performance. I still like the C6 GS, but it feels like it was made for a different market segment than the C7. :cheers:

Vetteman Jack 07-30-2016 11:57 PM

Both are very good cars, but if the money is close, go with the C7.

markmott 07-31-2016 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by robert miller (Post 1592742283)
Go with the c7 you will not look back after you get it over the c6. C7 much better overall car..:thumbs:

:iagree:

Iconic 07-31-2016 09:52 AM

I have owned both a '13 Grand Sport as well as a '16 Z51, both manual transmission. Both are very nice, the 13 GS has a slight edge on looks with the wide body and hand built engine if M6 and non vert. The nav and audio in my 2LT 13 GS both kinda sucked and were subpar for a vehicle north of $63,000. The C7 makes up for that and the interior in general is better, however the seats are a bit narrower.

I have had both cars well over 150 mph many times and they both feel incredibly stable at those speeds. They just plant. If there is any real difference in feel between the two I could not tell.

Both are great cars overall, but IMO the edge goes to the C7. Good luck on deciding, it's a nice problem to have. :thumbs:

ExRedRacer 07-31-2016 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by US Icon (Post 1592743786)
I have owned both a '13 Grand Sport as well as a '16 Z51, both manual transmission. Both are very nice, the 13 GS has a slight edge on looks with the wide body and hand built engine if M6 and non vert. The nav and audio in my 2LT 13 GS both kinda sucked and were subpar for a vehicle north of $63,000. The C7 makes up for that and the interior in general is better, however the seats are a bit narrower.

I have had both cars well over 150 mph many times and they both feel incredibly stable at those speeds. They just plant. If there is any real difference in feel between the two I could not tell.

Both are great cars overall, but IMO the edge goes to the C7. Good luck on deciding, it's a nice problem to have. :thumbs:

I know.....First World Problems....:yesnod:

I guess I just need to find a dealer and test drive a C7 and find out for myself. I've always loved the look of the C6 GS and now that I'm almost ready to get one, the possibility of getting a gently used C7 for just a few more dollars is tempting.

Still open for more opinions on the topic...:bigears

RBarnes 07-31-2016 12:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had a '13 GS Heritage 3LT car and loved it. I finally upgraded to a '16 C7 in November of last year, and boy am i glad i did.

IMHO the C7 is awesome. It has evolved and it shows inside and out. Performance and handling are great, interior has definitely improved, and man is she quick. I did choose the 1LT and have zero regrets and do indeed love it more than the GS.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what you like and what how you're going to drive it. So definitely do your due diligence, in other words, go test drive the C7. :yesnod:

Either way, you can't go wrong. After all, it is a Corvette!

Best of luck and as US Icon said, it is a nice problem to have.

:cheers:

dbirdhouse1 07-31-2016 03:50 PM

Yup

Thanks in advance.

went from my 2012 GS Conv 3lt to a blue non-Z51 (for two weeks and then sold the blue one!) and the differences in handling were far more pronounced than I thought they would be; 2014 far tighter, far more precise, almost a Miata on 'roids not to mention I no longer had to deal with a front end so low and that insane "chuttering" from the front tires on any tight turn on any day cooler than 70 degrees.....

capecodvette 08-01-2016 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by US Icon (Post 1592743786)

I recall the 2013 GS does not have a hand built engine. Perhaps, you are referring to the extra cost engine build experience?

DAFFYDRUNK 08-01-2016 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by capecodvette (Post 1592750206)
I recall the 2013 GS does not have a hand built engine. Perhaps, you are referring to the extra cost engine build experience?

M6 C6 GS had dry sump and hand built LS3. Some claim a slight hp bump because of this. Better balance in the motor. The A6 is non dry sump and not hand built.

Iconic 08-01-2016 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by capecodvette (Post 1592750206)

All 2010-2013 Grand Sport coupes (convertibles not included) with manual transmissions came with a hand built engine from Wixom MI. Some of these were also engine build experience.

Any 2010-2013 Grand Sport convertible or automatic did not have the hand built engine.

JoesC5 08-01-2016 10:36 AM

While the C6 GS is not a featherweight(3330 pounds), neither is the Base C7(without Z51) at 3298 pounds. The C6 GS's lower gearing does improve acceleration(once you dump the crappy Goodyears) and the larger brake/wheels/tires on the C6 GS definably helps in the corners(once you dump the crappy Goodyears).

Now if your interested in the car that has the best fuel economy, go with the base C7 without the Z51 option.