CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Patience pays off, new toy (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3860334-patience-pays-off-new-toy.html)

1snake 08-05-2016 08:10 PM

Patience pays off, new toy

This car belonged to my brother's best friend. He has told me forever about this big block Corvette that has been sitting in a heated garage for 20+ years but his buddy didn't want to sell it. 3 years ago the owner passed away and I got an opportunity to look at the car even though the wife didn't know what she was going to do with it. I gave her my number and told her if/when she ever decided to part with it, I'd like first right of refusal. That was 3 years ago. She called me last Wed. and I picked the car up today. He bought it in 1969, was the 2nd owner and rarely drove it until parking it in 1974. He was a "Harley" guy, not a "Corvette" guy.
The car - originally glen green, blk. interior, both tops, & 3.55 posi. In 1970 the original 396 block cracked (frozen) so my brother towed him to the local Chevy dealer and they put in a "CE" 425HP 427 long block. My brother commented that the car was A LOT faster with the new motor. He also had flared wheelwells installed, painted black and removed the front bumpers (typical 70's look). Everything else is original including the T.I. dist. & amplifier, alt., trans. rear etc. It has a 780 Holley on it but I have the original carb. as well. The car has 29K ORIGINAL miles.
I haven't decided which direction I'm going to take with it, body-off resto. or what but I couldn't pass up a deal like this one.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8199d9b3a4.jpg

Nowhere Man 08-05-2016 08:13 PM

Clean it up and drive it like it is as a day two car

Bluestripe67 08-05-2016 08:19 PM

Congratulations on finding another one and hopefully will be headed back to the road. :thumbs: Dennis

Frankie the Fink 08-05-2016 08:21 PM

Nice score.
Tons of potential no matter what direction you choose to go with it!

65hihp 08-05-2016 08:32 PM

Out Freaking Standing!
Looking forward to seeing it motating under it's own very ample power.
Glad for you!

1snake 08-05-2016 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by 65hihp (Post 1592786073)
Out Freaking Standing!
Looking forward to seeing it motating under it's own very ample power.
Glad for you!

Thanks everyone. I'm very excited about this car. The wait paid off. It's funny how the re-rating from 450 to 425 HP 427's came about. All I can say is "nothing gives you wood like a solid lifter big block with side exhaust". :yesnod:

mcb55-210 08-05-2016 09:03 PM

Great score!

Mike

ptjsk 08-05-2016 09:08 PM

Wow, that's cool!

Unfortunate for the gentleman that passed, but good for you to ask the wife to contact you should she decide to sell it.

Now the fun really begins.

I know I'm probably out of the norm here, but after getting it running, the first thing I would do is add bigger flares to it!

Pat

3JsVette 08-05-2016 09:16 PM

Great score! It's the perfect canvas to go in what ever direction you want. The 1st step might be to clean it up real good and make it drivable so decide what would be the best choice for you. Good luck with your new project.

1snake 08-05-2016 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by ptjsk (Post 1592786310)
Wow, that's cool!

Unfortunate for the gentleman that passed, but good for you to ask the wife to contact you should she decide to sell it.

Now the fun really begins.

I know I'm probably out of the norm here, but after getting it running, the first thing I would do is add bigger flares to it!

Pat

Funny you say that Pat. My first Corvette was a 64 in 1973. It had the exact same flares and wheel size as this one. 15X10 in the back, 15X8 in the front. Gotta love the 70's.:cheers:

Except the bell-bottoms.

Black 03 Z06 08-05-2016 09:26 PM

Great find and purchase. I wish you the best of luck with getting it cleaned up and running again.

Well done. Another one saved.

427Hotrod 08-05-2016 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1592785963)
Clean it up and drive it like it is as a day two car

THIS!!:party:

IT'S PERFECT!!

Jim

Dr L-88 08-05-2016 09:42 PM

I like it Jim....:cheers: I like it a lot !!!

Rex

Nowhere Man 08-05-2016 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod (Post 1592786541)
THIS!!:party:

IT'S PERFECT!!

Jim

Not really a fan of flaired cars but with a car like this a NOM car with great owner history and the shape the car appeares to be in its almost a no brainer to buff out the paint and leave the battle scars as is and enjoying the raw power the L-72 can give. A car you could drive anywhere and have fun doing it. And not worry about stone chips and such. You could get upside down real quick taking this car back to original form. Just make it safe add new tires and your off. And slot wheels look great on this car. R

rccarson 08-05-2016 10:05 PM

Congrats Jim,
I say keep the flares!
BTW It was good to finally me you at the Good Guys meet last week end. I look forward to talking with you on Saturday at Uptown.
RC

1snake 08-05-2016 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1592786637)
Not really a fan of flaired cars but with a car like this a NOM car with great owner history and the shape the car appeares to be in its almost a no brainer to buff out the paint and leave the battle scars as is and enjoying the raw power the L-72 can give. A car you could drive anywhere and have fun doing it. And not worry about stone chips and such. You could get upside down real quick taking this car back to original form. Just make it safe add new tires and your off. And slot wheels look great on this car. R

I agree with everything you say but for what I paid, I could double my money tomorrow but that's NOT my game. My enjoyment is working on them. Once they're done, I tend to sell them and move onto the next one. I hook up a lot of people with cars I pass on. Lot's of "barn/garage" finds out there. :cheers:

1snake 08-05-2016 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by rccarson (Post 1592786724)
Congrats Jim,
I say keep the flares!
BTW It was good to finally me you at the Good Guys meet last week end. I look forward to talking with you on Saturday at Uptown.
RC

See ya there. There's a bunch of us meeting at 7:30 at the Valero. Feel free to meet us there and we can all cruise in together.:cheers:

Nowhere Man 08-05-2016 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1snake (Post 1592786761)
I agree with everything you say but for what I paid, I could double my money tomorrow but that's my game. My enjoyment is working on them. Once they're done, I tend to sell them and move onto the next one. I hook up a lot of people with cars I pass on. Lot's of "barn/garage" finds out there. :cheers:

So I take it you got it way below average market price? While there are a lot of barn finds out there but I find the owners of those cars are watching to much tv about price. Good luck with what ever you do.

1snake 08-05-2016 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1592786791)
So I take it you got it way below average market price? While there are a lot of barn finds out there but I find the owners of those cars are watching to much tv about price. Good luck with what ever you do.

What's the "market" value on this car? I guess it depends on where you are. Everyone seems to think a 63 coupe is worth a million dollars but when a local guy posted that he bought an original 63 fuelie coupe for $40K, a few said "good deal" and that was the end of it. The naysayers were quiet. I've been buying/restoring/selling these cars for well over 40 years. I know what the "market value" is in MY area. Yes, I got a very good deal on a very nice car.:cheers:

Nowhere Man 08-05-2016 10:32 PM

I would say market value in my area is around 30k. But let's not get on a value thread. If the seller was happy and your happy then all is well and you got a good honest car.