CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Has anyone dealt with CarMax? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3860830-has-anyone-dealt-with-carmax.html)

zer0t 08-07-2016 07:40 AM

Has anyone dealt with CarMax?

I saw a car that they had for sale that I liked but have never used them before. Is their nomhaggle pricing really the bottom line or is it worth making an offfer? To be honest it's a price I would pay but I though less is always better.

AORoads 08-07-2016 08:18 AM

Far as I know, it's the price, no negotiating. Of course, we'll have someone come on and say they got a better deal... As to the car, unless you really know Corvettes (recent) very well, make sure you have the opportunity to have someone check it out for you, at your expense.

_05C6_ 08-07-2016 08:55 AM

I've never dealt with Carmax, but I would say this... everything is negotiable. Paying cash? Financing with A+ credit? How long the car has been sitting there?
Just my .02

tennblkc6 08-07-2016 08:59 AM

I've dealt with them. the no haggle policy is in stone. as far as i know anyway. i have a+ credit and paid with a cashier's check. ymmv

beachcomber 08-07-2016 09:24 AM

Over the last few years, I sell them my cars when I'm done with them. They always offer me $2-3k more than dealers do. My last trip in there I sold them my 2012 XJ and asked them this exact same question. He confirmed, no haggle on price, but they will throw in an extended warranty if pushed hard enough. He said they have a Corp mandate on no haggle on price, but to help close the deal, they'll budge in other areas.

hankenstine 08-07-2016 09:35 AM

Carmax is no haggle but they also have a 7 day no questions asked return policy and will bring the car to the nearest carmax for free if it's within so many miles but I have checked their pricing on my last two cars and found them way cheaper at local dealers I bought my wife a brand new 2015 camaro 2lt for less than they wanted for a 2014 1lt
:thumbs::thumbs:

pure zen 08-07-2016 10:00 AM

From nine months ago,,,

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-fixed.html

You might want to read this thread about a CarMax Vette purchase....

bobeast 08-07-2016 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by zer0t (Post 1592793775)
I saw a car that they had for sale that I liked but have never used them before. Is their nomhaggle pricing really the bottom line or is it worth making an offfer? To be honest it's a price I would pay but I though less is always better.

Yes. Their no-haggle is truly no haggle. Their model is that if they have a vehicle for a certain amount of time, they will periodically lower the price until it eventually sells.

Contrary to popular belief, everything is not negotiable. They are happy to let you walk away because they know another customer from their nationwide network will eventually buy the car, and in the meantime, they make a little scratch by shipping it around on the potential customers' dime.

919cw313 08-07-2016 12:29 PM

Why would you ever think the price would be lower if you paid cash or had better than average credit?

Kent1999 08-07-2016 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by 919cw313 (Post 1592795337)
Why would you ever think the price would be lower if you paid cash or had better than average credit?

:iagree:

EVERY deal is "paid in cash" for the dealer. (unless you are talking about one of those 'buy here, pay here' weasel outfits -- then God help you, you're probably paying 20%+ interest anyways and will pay more in finance charges than the price of the car) In fact, most dealers prefer that you arrange financing through them, as they get a little money from the lender for each loan they 'arrange'.

The dealer has your money from the bank/lending institution, and thus doesn't give a hoot whether you have 800 or 600 FICO, whatever the buyer has to agree to with the lender is NONE of the car dealer's concern... it all spends the same when it hits the dealer's bank acct.

zer0t 08-07-2016 07:26 PM

Actually they prefer to write your credit. They get points on financing. Cash doesn't always get you a better deal just for that reason. I have an 820 score but will be paying cash nonetheless. If I decide to do it, I'll make an offer and see if I can get other concessions like shipping or something.

I'd send someone out I was paying to look it over and test drive it. It's in California and I'd be shipping to Florida.

Geardaddy 08-07-2016 08:11 PM

I looked at a few Corvettes at Carmax prior to buying mine from a forum guy.. They were all in a condition that I wasn't interested in messing with.. Carmax seems to have a history of telling you it's in "Mint" condition.. until you show up and find its been sitting outside for 3 months.. has horrible rain/water spots, scuff marks on the interior from knuckle draggers, climbing into it all day long and dragging their feet across door panels.. etc.. Your mileage may vary, but I wasn't impressed.. For buying a family wagon, no problem.. for a corvette.. not so sure..

rsparks64 08-07-2016 09:06 PM

I bought one with them
and had a good experience.

Gary '09 C6 08-07-2016 11:51 PM

OP, you can't find one in Florida ?

Adelleda 08-08-2016 12:14 AM

I worked in dealerships for five years (sales then sales manager) and I can tell you that Carmax is a great experience. They have a great setup and a great program that's very inviting and removes many of the hassles that conventional dealer buying causes. However, they know people are sold on their program and you pay a *premium* for that experience. They do mark there old age inventory vehicles down periodically before they launch it to an auction. But they are 100% no hassle, no negotiating.

If you're worried about the money, shop around. I guarantee you can find the car cheaper somewhere else.

zer0t 08-08-2016 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6 (Post 1592799090)
OP, you can't find one in Florida ?

No I live in FL and NJ work in NYC and haven't seen any in my area that I really like. One white car at a chevy dealer with 20k miles asking 74k, it's a 13, and yellow. I'm not a fan of yellow and in fact I'm not particular on color but can't do a yellow one. White, JSB, reds, black are all good in that order. I have a ordered color preference but it's the car first color second.

zer0t 08-08-2016 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Adelleda (Post 1592799169)
I worked in dealerships for five years (sales then sales manager) and I can tell you that Carmax is a great experience. They have a great setup and a great program that's very inviting and removes many of the hassles that conventional dealer buying causes. However, they know people are sold on their program and you pay a *premium* for that experience. They do mark there old age inventory vehicles down periodically before they launch it to an auction. But they are 100% no hassle, no negotiating.

If you're worried about the money, shop around. I guarantee you can find the car cheaper somewhere else.

Looking at other cars and assuming I could negotiate with the other sellers would make the car max vehicle only slightly higher. Not enough that in the event it's in great condition the price difference would matter. It's also my favorite color, white, which seems to be hard to find. I don't know if white wasn't a popular color or limited in production but they seem to be hard to find.

ben dover 08-08-2016 06:55 AM

Let us know how it goes.

fevest 08-08-2016 12:21 PM

I bought my 2002 at carmax in white marsh maryland. The price was the price. No problems with the car though. Had new pilots on it also. The tires still had good tread years later when I sold it to get my 2012.

Tyler_RN_EMT 08-08-2016 12:37 PM

Just had an appraisal done by them on my C6.... Came in about $2,000 lower than NADA trade in values and $5,000 lower than KBB trade in values..... Granted this was just to sell rather than trade on one of their existing cars.... Not sure if that made any difference or not with them.

Tyler