CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Starting early on my 07 Theft recovery project... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/3866412-starting-early-on-my-07-theft-recovery-project.html)

vigman 08-19-2016 11:02 AM

Starting early on my 07 Theft recovery project...

2 Attachment(s)
Hello from Calif.. where most of the fires are out....
I just purchased an 07 White auto base Vert that is missing everything from the torque tube input flange forward to the Radiator / AC condensor.
All the hard lines & wiring are still there and nothings been cut.

The car arrives next week.. and this is my attack plan...
1) A master key at my local GM dealership will be $13.00 & I have a fob..
( Not for this car ). My plan is to do a short re program to see what works & what doesn't in ACC mode. HOPEFULLY I will be able to get the dash to light up so I can see the milage that was...Any potential problems with this?

1a) PLUG all the AC lines and draw a vac so no other badness gets into the AC system......

2) I have a connection at a Vette wrecking yard and for about 5K I can get a complete LS-2 for an automatic, wiring harness, PCM & TCM. Question, assuming all the electrical is 100% will the PCM/TCM need to be programmed to play nice with all the other computers PRIOR to an attempted start? Or will it wake up start & run, but be in NAG MODE ( limiter power somethings not happy )?

This is my first C6.. but I just finished a 02 C5, that this will replace ( when done ) . It's a project and there WILL BE cost overruns.. but I LOVE projects and bringing stuff back from the dead, for 2 reasons.

1) It's a Corvette and deserves better.
2) Being retired AND mostly DYI..I learn SO MUCH.
3) RETIRED.. so LOTS of free time...

Any thoughts and guidance would be appreciated !

Thanks
Mike

vigman 08-20-2016 02:58 AM

First parts score

1 Attachment(s)
Also stolen off the car were the front calipers & rotors...
The rubber lines , cut.

$200 off the local craigs list....
Also OE GM Corvette fob, 68 bucks

HOXXOH 08-20-2016 10:03 AM

Maybe you should look here for an engine that might just be in your neighborhood. It's possible to have matching numbers too.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...embly-ls2.html

vigman 08-21-2016 12:38 AM

Left message on his for sale post..THANKS!!!

Mike

jft69z 08-21-2016 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by HOXXOH (Post 1592886683)
It's possible to have matching numbers too.

:D Wouldn't that be something...

HOXXOH 08-21-2016 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by jft69z (Post 1592891133)
:D Wouldn't that be something...

Yeah! :toetap:
Two junior members (15 posts and 35 posts) who live 41 miles apart, post wanted and for sale ads only one day apart, and have exactly the same parts needed to complete an '07 convertible. And to top it off, the available engine was surgically removed (nothing cut but the coolant hoses) and the car shows no signs of removal damage either.

Hmmmmm!

I wonder which police dept will be notified first. Or who's ad will get deleted.

jft69z 08-21-2016 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by HOXXOH (Post 1592893924)
Yeah! :toetap:
Two junior members (15 posts and 35 posts) who live 41 miles apart, post wanted and for sale ads only one day apart, and have exactly the same parts needed to complete an '07 convertible. And to top it off, the available engine was surgically removed (nothing cut but the coolant hoses) and the car shows no signs of removal damage either.

Hmmmmm!

I wonder which police dept will be notified first. Or who's ad will get deleted.

:rofl:

vigman 08-21-2016 03:05 PM

Shall I also note this was a Bay area THEFT..... It was early 2016 when this came to auction....The PIX looks like a vendor on E bay ( In FLA ) who sells engines..... HMMMMM
AND No reply from the OP with the engine for sale.....

vigman 08-21-2016 03:12 PM

OH WAIT... you ment ME!!!! I bought this car off Fleabay Item #201645656586.. It's coming out of Rancho Cordova.....So I'm just trying to get all the bits to bring it back from the dead.....I might be a JR member ( here ) .... but I have been in this hobby for a VERY long time...and now I am retired and am doing this "Midlifecrisis mobile on a budget", since my 02 is just not the car for me... CLOSE, but not quite...

jft69z 08-21-2016 04:47 PM

I was thinking the guy with the engine, not you. You're trying to re-assemble the car.

HOXXOH 08-21-2016 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by jft69z (Post 1592894569)
I was thinking the guy with the engine, not you. You're trying to re-assemble the car.

:iagree:

vigman 08-21-2016 11:09 PM

Ok I now have on order all the bits to complete the front brakes..Bell housing ordered...
Now it's down to Shipping the car, starting reg & title, getting the car up on blocks and do a FULL inspection. then a Craigs list set of more correct rims & tires. Then engine, cats ( from manifold to X pipe ) Radiator & AC condensor.Seats will be sorta last. The "concept" is got get it back 100% stock.

vigman 08-28-2016 08:58 AM

07 Arrival pix

5 Attachment(s)
9:30 AM Yesterday..... for your amusement TTT...

YAHOOOO ! It arrives..
Bonus challenges
1) The VW buss brakes partially lock up..
2) The " space saver " spare doesn't hold air well AT ALL. 10 min & flat .. again.

The winching took all of 7 min.. the on & offloading ALMOST 2 hrs...
MOSTLY VW hangups...

SO here's what we know...
The car WAS an AVIS rental. with a LOJACK type system.. Gee that worked well!

The ENGINE harness was cut by the thief's in 2 places 1) By the battery box 2) FWD by ABS and all other lines going FWD. BUT the MAROONS didn't take the engine ECM ( read no reprogramming by GM ) YEAH for me.

Both the door glass's SMASHED ( door interior's have maraca option when shaken ).

Windshield is cracked.

Car has HUD, power top, memory seats ( well there are currently no seats ) ...

I was able to power up ( post engine harness removal & battery main cables, they cut the starter lug off & the Batt to engine ground lug ) .

AND I got , the doors will open NORMALLY, trunk opens using dash button, hit the ACC button & get some clicks, whirrs and NO FOB DETECTED. The dash lights up ( back light ) and the red light blinks on the stereo...

I gave the girl a " sponge bath " and put a cover on her for the evening.

Mike

vigman 08-28-2016 09:10 AM

NOW some questions.. and yes I have searched....

Unlike the C5 the TCU does NOT live behind the PCU ( ecm ) , correct? I assume it's elsewhere.. and SOME research states it's actually in the trans???

I will call my locksmith today to see if ( for a reasonable cost ) he can make the "MASTER KEY" I do have an 07 GM fob ( not for this car ) So I can ATTEMPT a short program for the FOB...

I understand the door glass for the coupe & vert are different.. fact.. fiction??

In the trunk area. ( pass side ) underthe cardboard / felt liner there are 2 antenna jacks and 3 smaller ( 7 pin ish ) white connectors... is this a Xm adaptor or part of the ONStar, Lojack??? any help here ??

vigman 08-28-2016 09:14 AM

My welding buddy

1 Attachment(s)
His contribution to Mid Life crisis 2 ( on the budget ) ... Winch point..
This is SO BEEFFY.. I could probably drag a 59 caddie with no wheels and 3 dead bodies in the trunk with 0 strain ....

cclive 08-28-2016 11:45 AM

Wow, the car looks very clean in the engine compartment, albeit without an engine...but no grease etc all over the place. I think you need to get the factory service manual for the car. It will be invaluable for the wiring diagrams etc. I'll be interested to see how the fob programming goes...I don't know how many of the computers are required to be in the car before this will work. The RCDLR is absolutely a must and I would think the BCM also.
The car looks clean and this should be a fun project for you...good luck with it. I think we will all be looking forward to helping you as much as we are able, and looking forward to monitoring your progress. I know that Dano will be of great help with this also.:thumbs:

vigman 08-28-2016 01:41 PM

1st thing outta the gate...This am I got all the GOO from the auction tape off the car ( well 95% )

Perfect timing.... So a FOB question / Scantool....
I ASSUME that ALL the computers are there since the car is smart enough to say NO FOB on the DIC. EXCEPT the ECU is on the workbench. I did call my Locksmith guy.. but he is OVER BOOKED today... So no master key....I was going to try my scanner just for giggles to see what it came back with. But HERE IS THE QUESTION... if you have a GM key fob and it says "1" on the back, can it ONLY be used as the #1? Can it be used as 3?..

... . I agree that shop manuals are the ticket.... ( being a retired engineer ) BUT that 280 ~ 500 for the whole series.. when the door glass is busted, gets a bit lower onthe GOTTA HAVES list... (Lots of racoons, stray cats etc etc ) so I would like to get the cabin sealed up PDQ. I did find a Vert door glass ( pass side ) but when cleaning this AM the exterior A pillar trim is busted.. sigh.

I also want to get some runner stoppers to seal off the AC system.. there is SO MUCH TO DO... Which is fine, just have to focus on ONE job at a time and as parts arrive, bolt em up before I buy the NEXT batch.... and BRAKES ( which only the E brake works ) I have everything for the fronts ( calipers, hardware, hoses, rotors ) But on the back I'm missing hoses & bolts ( on order ) ....

Thanks
Mike

vigman 08-29-2016 01:36 AM

Had a little funand found THIS OUT

1 Attachment(s)
Bam.....
TAIL lamps work license plate lamps& side marker.. but not stop lights.
All interior lights inc door switch backlights & center console.
No headlights or turns...

I assume SOME of this might come alive once I get the fob action happening...

Seat belts... MIA....

More later

Mike

RICH 28 08-29-2016 10:05 AM

You got yourself a nice project going on. I'm subscribing to this thread. :cheers:

cclive 08-29-2016 12:42 PM

The number stamped on the fob is no different than a piece of tape that you can stick on it. All fobs are electrically the same...the number is for your convenience in grabbing the right one. I would also suggest that it might be less expensive to go to a Chevy dealer with the title and they will cut a key for you based on the VIN. You could call and check the price.
Instructions for fob programming:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html:thumbs: