CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   I love eBay ads (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3870180-i-love-ebay-ads.html)

Vettrocious 08-27-2016 05:27 PM

I love eBay ads

The following is a direct quote from a current eBay ad for a 63 Fuelie:

1963 Corvette Fuel Injected Two Top Roadster. This car was bought new. It was owned by the same individual from 1963-2002. The car underwent a body off, complete disassembly restoration to the highest standard. The hardtop comes with the car but has NOT been restored. Odometer showed 57K at time of restoration. NCRS Top Flight Restoration. The car easily met NCRS Top Flight/Duntov specifications and was judged accordingly. Photo documentation of the restoration.

I really like that the car was "bought new", That's really rare, apparently. It's also critical that it underwent an "NCRS Top Flight Restoration" I didn't even know NCRS did restorations, wow, that's super. Only "57K" showing at restoration time? I'm sure it never had more than that... Its amazing that "The car easily met NCRS Top Flight/Duntov specifications and was judged accordingly." wow Duntov!!!???/ by whom? when? what Flight? I guess he left off the Duntov license plate 'cause it would have detracted from its pristine nature...

With all this great information, I had to move fast, so I just wired him the money plus, of course, a bit more for a vehicle with so much going for it...:thumbs:

66jack 08-27-2016 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Vettrocious (Post 1592936895)

1963 Corvette Fuel Injected Two Top Roadster. This car was bought new. It was owned by the same individual from 1963-2002. The car underwent a body off, complete disassembly restoration to the highest standard. The hardtop comes with the car but has NOT been restored. Odometer showed 57K at time of restoration. NCRS Top Flight Restoration. The car easily met NCRS Top Flight/Duntov specifications and was judged accordingly. Photo documentation of the restoration.

I really like that the car was "bought new", That's really rare, apparently. It's also critical that it underwent an "NCRS Top Flight Restoration" I didn't even know NCRS did restorations, wow, that's super. Only "57K" showing at restoration time? I'm sure it never had more than that... Its amazing that "The car easily met NCRS Top Flight/Duntov specifications and was judged accordingly." wow Duntov!!!???/ by whom? when? what Flight? I guess he left off the Duntov license plate 'cause it would have detracted from its pristine nature...

With all this great information, I had to move fast, so I just wired him the money plus, of course, a bit more for a vehicle with so much going for it...:thumbs:

Why would they say it went for the restoration and not do the top....:rock:

J.Moore 08-27-2016 08:35 PM

I like the ebayers and craigslisters that are trying to sell a shell of a Camaro about 40% of the car for $8500 and say, "wheels on car are NOT included." and these wheels are rusted rally wheels with flat tires.:rofl:

Frankie the Fink 08-28-2016 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Vettrocious (Post 1592936895)

Not even close to the worst eBay ads I've seen...
The few cars I've sold on eBay had descriptive detail, pictures and videos to the point that nothing was left to the imagination.

The only buyers' questions I got were concerning possible trades for other cars and what my reserve was (which I hate; I'm NOT telling you my reserve):thumbs:

3JsVette 08-28-2016 08:26 AM

Typical :rolleyes:

65GGvert 08-28-2016 08:32 AM

Until I see the car, I don't see anything wrong with the ad. The intention is to get attention for the car. Must be working, got your attention and now getting more on an international forum. I don't think any rational person would think that NCRS did the restoration. Just that it was judged afterward. I don't know the car, so I can't say anything is "misleading".

rfn026 08-28-2016 08:50 AM

My favorite ad line is "Original Miles"

No one has ever explained to my how to put Non-Original Miles on a car.

Richard Newton
Tech Stuff

Nowhere Man 08-28-2016 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by rfn026 (Post 1592939874)

Richard Newton
Tech Stuff

Or it ran when I parked it.

Frankie the Fink 08-28-2016 09:00 AM

Richard Newton
Tech Stuff

Put in a replacement cluster with gauges that have odometer mileage from another car ??

Seen it done more than once...

ricks327 08-28-2016 11:00 AM

Richard Newton
Tech Stuff

Disconnect the speedo cable and estimate your speed via the tach. :D

Railroadman 08-28-2016 11:32 AM

It's funny how no matter how worn the seats, door panels, brake pedal rubber, carpet, etc, these 50,000 mile cars are always supposedly on their first time around. I think the drivers must have been clad in sandpaper from head to toe!

wmf62 08-28-2016 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by 65GGvert (Post 1592939819)
Until I see the car, I don't see anything wrong with the ad. The intention is to get attention for the car. Must be working, got your attention and now getting more on an international forum. I don't think any rational person would think that NCRS did the restoration. Just that it was judged afterward. I don't know the car, so I can't say anything is "misleading".

:iagree:
Bill

Roger Walling 08-29-2016 08:35 AM

I understand why they did not restore the hard top.

When I bought my 57, the first thing I did was to remove the top and place it into long term storage.

If I wanted to drive a coupe, I would have bought one!

66jack 08-29-2016 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Roger Walling (Post 1592945972)
I understand why they did not restore the hard top.

When I bought my 57, the first thing I did was to remove the top and place it into long term storage.

If I wanted to drive a coupe, I would have bought one!

But, how did they/he get the NCRS/DUNTOV without top being judged...:rock:

65hihp 08-29-2016 09:09 AM

Leave hardtop at home. No judging of it is no problem.

427435 08-29-2016 09:34 PM

As for mileage, I've noted that there are a lot of Vettes out there with their odometers at 50,000 to 60,000 miles------------------and the odometers no longer work. The plastic worm and gear have worn out as mine did at a little over 50,000 miles.

Frankie the Fink 08-30-2016 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by 66jack (Post 1592946127)
But, how did they/he get the NCRS/DUNTOV without top being judged...:rock:

On a two top car the NCRS judges ONE of the tops...rag top or hard top; you get to decide...

With hard top restoration costs in the $3,000+ range and, if seldom used, I could see not restoring it...

66jack 08-30-2016 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1592952648)
On a two top car the NCRS judges ONE of the tops...rag top or hard top; you get to decide...

With hard top restoration costs in the $3,000+ range and, if seldom used, I could see not restoring it...

Didn't know that...:cheers:

But, it sure makes it a pain for the 'next' owner to match paint after years of 'paint fade' to match the 'restoration' paint job of car...especially if
sold and the new owner wants to use it...:rock:

JohnZ 09-02-2016 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 66jack (Post 1592953173)
Didn't know that...:cheers:

But, it sure makes it a pain for the 'next' owner to match paint after years of 'paint fade' to match the 'restoration' paint job of car...especially if
sold and the new owner wants to use it...:rock:

"2 TOPS" may be a marketing plus when selling a Corvette, but only if the top doesn't need any work or is already restored; knowledgeable Corvette buyers will see an unrestored or just "old" hardtop as a thing to be hung in the garage or stored in the basement unless another five thousand bucks happens to show up in the budget. :thumbs: