CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Looking for advice on a flashing third brake light mod. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3874299-looking-for-advice-on-a-flashing-third-brake-light-mod.html)

gimp 09-06-2016 02:42 AM

Looking for advice on a flashing third brake light mod.

Having fun with my car, as you can tell. It's got a long list of wants, so I figured I'd start working on the next one up now that I've done my shocks.

I'd like my center tail light (3rd brake light) to flash when braking.

There are quite a few products that do this... some are clearly intended for low power applications and littered all over ebay claiming things that they don't deliver. (My favorite is the 1 amp load product that some sellers advertise as capable of 100W instead of 10-15W... good times.)

Now, knowing incandescents and loads, it seems to me that it would actually be easier to go to LED bulbs instead of incandescents, and then blink those: because LEDs have almost instant on/off, allowing a much higher rate of blinking if so desired; because LEDs don't mind being blinked, whereas normal bulbs will die quicker because of it; and of course because switching less power means a smaller, simpler, cheaper circuit.

Since I really don't feel like designing a blinker when they exist for $1 to $50 already at varying levels of quality, I figure I'll take the easy way out.

However! Here's why I'm making this post: I can't find any articles online that talk about LED conversions for the 3rd brake light. Tons of people convert the standard tail lights to LEDs, or euro spec, or whatever. Fine. But if people do convert the 3rd light to LEDs, they don't post write-ups of it. Bulbs they used, whether they had to install special circuitry (like a hyperflash), etc.

So with all that said, question for the forum:

1. Can you simply plug and play 194-compatible LEDs into the 'high mounted stop lamp' (GM parlance) and have it work properly, both electrically, and in terms of light pattern? I don't want to blind anyone behind me.
2. Does anyone have preferred brake light modulators / blinkers? I quite like the designs from http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/.

Would appreciate links to past threads if I have missed them. Thanks!

Sterling04 09-06-2016 08:21 AM

[QUOTE=gimp;1592998438]Having fun with my car, as you can tell. It's got a long list of wants, so I figured I'd start working on the next one up now that I've done my shocks.

Hey Dude! The center mounted brake light is LED! Just get a flasher, install it and go on to something else! But to quote Bill Curlee "I can't afford to buy anything too cheap"! Buy a good one when you do.
Good Luck!

Sydwayz 09-06-2016 12:50 PM

Look into products for motorcycles. I have one on my Harley that flashes the brakelight, and it has several patterns. It's easy to wire into a circuit. I have it on a setting that flashes about 8 times when triggered, and then stays solid.

c4cruiser 09-06-2016 02:02 PM

Radioflyer Innovations has a 3rd brake light flasher unit that is a true plug and play. George is an excellent CF Supporting Vendor :thumbs:

gimp 09-06-2016 02:40 PM

How'd I miss that Radioflyer has this? Thanks. I'm not sold on the flash pattern though...

Sterling, I'm not entirely sure that the 3rd light is already LED. The GM parts bin seems to say that it's a standard bulb, as the replacement for it is a standard bulb... as near as I can tell...

Road Runner 09-06-2016 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by gimp (Post 1593001697)
I'm not entirely sure that the 3rd light is already LED. The GM parts bin seems to say that it's a standard bulb, as the replacement for it is a standard bulb... as near as I can tell...

The 3rd brake light IS LED - has always been on all years.

Bill Curlee 09-06-2016 03:21 PM

Yep,,,,,,,,,,,, its led!

gimp 09-06-2016 06:25 PM

Well, that makes life way easier. Whooooops. Thanks folks! Wonder why the GM sheet says standard 194 bulbs.

LoneStarFRC 09-06-2016 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Road Runner (Post 1593001750)

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee (Post 1593002016)
Yep,,,,,,,,,,,, its led!

:iagree: 1997 to 2004 ALL are LED units. Actually I think there are 6 (7 maybe?) discrete LEDS inside the housing.

LoneStarFRC 09-06-2016 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by gimp (Post 1593003296)
Well, that makes life way easier. Whooooops. Thanks folks! Wonder why the GM sheet says standard 194 bulbs.

Don't know what you mean by "GM sheet", but 194s (incandescents) are used in the license plate lights, and rear side marker lights.

Buy and install the plug-n-play flasher. I've had one for years.

Note: a nice feature on my unit is that after one brake application (unit flashes normally), if you apply the brakes again within 15 sec (~), it does NOT flash. Prevents constant flashing in creep-n-crawl traffic.

Vetteman Jack 09-06-2016 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Road Runner (Post 1593001750)

:iagree: Just get a flasher unit and you're all set.

J. Kent 08-16-2018 05:36 PM

Seems like a good idea but the more I looked into it the more convinced I am that flashing/pulsing 3rd brake lights are illegal in all 50 states.

c4cruiser 08-16-2018 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by J. Kent (Post 1597805443)
Seems like a good idea but the more I looked into it the more convinced I am that flashing/pulsing 3rd brake lights are illegal in all 50 states.

The city buses around here have used a flashing 3rd brake light for years now. After a few seconds, all show a solid red. I have never found anything in WA state vehicle laws that says a flashing 3rd brake light is prohibited.

Mitch45 08-16-2018 09:59 PM

put a cheap one on my Impala and it worked fine , put the same one on my C5 and it threw codes for traction control and I think ECBM . Took it off and codes went away .

Merlin02 08-19-2018 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by J. Kent (Post 1597805443)

Not illegal in California: California Vehicle Code 25251.5 (c).... Any stop lamp or supplemental stop lamp required or permitted by Section 24603 may be equipped so as to flash not more than four times within the first four seconds after actuation by application of the brakes.
Amended Ch. 410, Stats. 1983. Effective January 1, 1984.

rayz1951 08-19-2018 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by gimp (Post 1592998438)
Having fun with my car, as you can tell. It's got a long list of wants, so I figured I'd start working on the next one up now that I've done my shocks.

There are quite a few products that do this... some are clearly intended for low power applications and littered all over ebay claiming things that they don't deliver. (My favorite is the 1 amp load product that some sellers advertise as capable of 100W instead of 10-15W... good times.)

Now, knowing incandescents and loads, it seems to me that it would actually be easier to go to LED bulbs instead of incandescents, and then blink those: because LEDs have almost instant on/off, allowing a much higher rate of blinking if so desired; because LEDs don't mind being blinked, whereas normal bulbs will die quicker because of it; and of course because switching less power means a smaller, simpler, cheaper circuit.

Since I really don't feel like designing a blinker when they exist for $1 to $50 already at varying levels of quality, I figure I'll take the easy way out.

However! Here's why I'm making this post: I can't find any articles online that talk about LED conversions for the 3rd brake light. Tons of people convert the standard tail lights to LEDs, or euro spec, or whatever. Fine. But if people do convert the 3rd light to LEDs, they don't post write-ups of it. Bulbs they used, whether they had to install special circuitry (like a hyperflash), etc.

So with all that said, question for the forum:

1. Can you simply plug and play 194-compatible LEDs into the 'high mounted stop lamp' (GM parlance) and have it work properly, both electrically, and in terms of light pattern? I don't want to blind anyone behind me.
2. Does anyone have preferred brake light modulators / blinkers? I quite like the designs from http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/.

Would appreciate links to past threads if I have missed them. Thanks!

I bought from Radio Flyer. Plug and play and took about 10 minutes. Done. Blinks 3 times then stays on, let your foot off the brakes for 15 seconds then resets,when you brake again, blinks 3 times then stays on. No problems.

J. Kent 09-07-2018 04:06 PM

OK. Think I'll try it and see how I do with NJ inspection in the fall.
Now here's another question: If the stock 3rd (5th?) brake light is LED, is there any advantage to the aftermarket ones being sold? I know some are black and some are clear so if you're going for that "look" sure, but what about the red ones? I think this thread just saved me some money!

bc6152 09-14-2018 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by rayz1951 (Post 1597821592)
I bought from Radio Flyer. Plug and play and took about 10 minutes. Done. Blinks 3 times then stays on, let your foot off the brakes for 15 seconds then resets,when you brake again, blinks 3 times then stays on. No problems.

Can you share with us novices how you completed this in 10 minutes? I just took a look at my car and it seems that the inside trunk carpeting must be removed to get at the fixture.
Is there another way?

photonhunter 09-14-2018 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by bc6152 (Post 1597982235)
Can you share with us novices how you completed this in 10 minutes? I just took a look at my car and it seems that the inside trunk carpeting must be removed to get at the fixture.
Is there another way?

You go in through the access holes behind the rear license plate holder.
It's even easier when you get a flasher unit that has the appropriate plugs, no splicing needed.
I used this one:
http://webelectricproducts.com/products2.htm
There are many flasher units from multiple manufacturers available.

dan k.

Merlin02 09-14-2018 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by bc6152 (Post 1597982235)
Is there another way?

I removed one of the middle tail lights near the license plate. Reached behind the third brake light and plugged it in. Reinstalled the tail light.