CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Harmonic Balancer gone bad after hitting bump ? [VIDEO] (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3876093-harmonic-balancer-gone-bad-after-hitting-bump-video.html)

Ahzuz 09-10-2016 10:58 AM

ntttt

nttt

VET4LES 09-10-2016 12:16 PM

Check a friends balancer. Most of them wobble a little. Mine is similar to yours.
I don't know how a bump would make it bad. :cheers:

Not So Fast 09-10-2016 12:42 PM

Mine does a "little", that's not a little IMHO but I'm sure the gurus will check in :yesnod:
NSF

Blk 08 C6 09-10-2016 01:06 PM

I would replace it.didnt even wait for mine to do that.8 rib aftermarket here and pinned.

BlindSpot 09-10-2016 01:09 PM

Sorry, but I'm done with this topic.

HBsurfer 09-10-2016 01:13 PM

I don't see how hitting a bump could do that unless something actually got up there and hit the balancer.
FYI, Mine was not as bad at yours when I replaced it. The new aftermarket balancer has no wobble at all. And just like every other car I have ever owned, I don't even think about my harmonic balancer anymore

If I was selling the car in two years, I would just watch it. Good chance it will never get worse while you own it.

Frankie15 09-11-2016 12:00 AM

Don't mean to take this thread off topic, but how would I know if my harmonic balancer is bad without actually looking under the hood? What are some symptoms? Just curious.

Mike's LS3 09-11-2016 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie15 (Post 1593031865)
Don't mean to take this thread off topic, but how would I know if my harmonic balancer is bad without actually looking under the hood? What are some symptoms? Just curious.

1. Not looking under the hood, chirping belt can be one symptom.

2. Then actually looking under the hood, besides the obvious wobble,
inspect the silicone seal between the inner and outer shell of the
HB. When the seal starts to fail, the HB will start to wobble.

3. In the video, you not only see the wobble, but hear the serpentine belt chirp. That is a good indication
that the HB wobble has caused misalignment which is fraying the belts edge and causing the chirping
belt.

My HB always had a slight wobble, but after 65k miles it worsen and caused belt chirp. Replaced it with an ATI HB and the birds stopped chirping. It's been quiet for the past 10k miles.

Ahzuz 09-12-2016 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by HBsurfer (Post 1593028651)
I don't see how hitting a bump could do that unless something actually got up there and hit the balancer.
FYI, Mine was not as bad at yours when I replaced it. The new aftermarket balancer has no wobble at all. And just like every other car I have ever owned, I don't even think about my harmonic balancer anymore

If I was selling the car in two years, I would just watch it. Good chance it will never get worse while you own it.

The bird chirping makes the car undrivable, in the video it's a cold start so it doesn't sound that much but believe me once it's warm it sounds like a 1990 Pontiac Sunfire

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3 (Post 1593033446)
1. Not looking under the hood, chirping belt can be one symptom.

2. Then actually looking under the hood, besides the obvious wobble,
inspect the silicone seal between the inner and outer shell of the
HB. When the seal starts to fail, the HB will start to wobble.

3. In the video, you not only see the wobble, but hear the serpentine belt chirp. That is a good indication
that the HB wobble has caused misalignment which is fraying the belts edge and causing the chirping
belt.

My HB always had a slight wobble, but after 65k miles it worsen and caused belt chirp. Replaced it with an ATI HB and the birds stopped chirping. It's been quiet for the past 10k miles.

Great post, that sums it up.