CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Mid engine vs front engine (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/3877601-mid-engine-vs-front-engine.html)

walker3 09-13-2016 09:47 PM

Mid engine vs front engine

continue to have a lot of comments so lets see what you think

would you rather a mid eng or stay front eng. corvette

Gary '09 C6 09-13-2016 09:53 PM

build both..ME should be "halo" model

JonMN 09-13-2016 10:03 PM

Voted to offer both. It will be interesting to see what the interior noise level is with the ME. Not a factor on the track, of course, but for a daily driver it is.

OnPoint 09-13-2016 10:12 PM

I'd love to have the better traction/launch capability of the ME.

Would be neat to see them build both, like Gary mentioned, with ME as the halo model.

Steve Garrett 09-13-2016 10:17 PM

From what I've read here, just because there will (allegedly) be a mid engine doesn't mean they'll stop making the front engine Corvettes.

Rave 09-13-2016 10:33 PM

I read somewhere the C7 design will probably continue through 2021, and the C8 (probably mid-engine) will be introduced in 2018. If that's true both production lines will be running for 4 years. GM may do this to see where the sales numbers go on each design.

As far as the mid-engine goes, I wonder about weight distribution issues. Seems GM prides itself on maintaining an approximate approximate 50/50 front/rear weight distribution with its modern designs. What happens to weight distribution when the front of the car is just an empty storage space?

budgreen3564 09-13-2016 10:37 PM

Then they go all wheel drive

nmvettec7 09-13-2016 10:59 PM

I own a 2015 C7 and 2014 Porsche 981 mid-engine.

The 981 handles magnificently with a great weight distribution. It is truly a blast to drive.

Hard to beat a mid-engine. If the pricing was right, I would highly consider a mid-engine Corvette any day.

Not only will the mid-engine have spectacular handling, the whole design of vehicle will be quite different from what we see now.

I think it would be quite remarkable.

rcooper 09-13-2016 11:07 PM

I go for the mid engine. As the modern sports car evolves it seems that the only way to get the performance that we want is going to be mid engine and smaller displacement. Getting the car a bit smaller and lighter with a tt v6 could be the best answer.
I really am pleased with my C7 but having driven Porsches mid engine cars ha me yearning for that type of lay out. and if priced right I might be able to afford one.
I believe that the Corvette will offer their first mid engine as an up scale car which will filter down the product line in following years...so by the time it comes out I'll have to let my son buy it while I ride with him.

Higgs Boson 09-13-2016 11:08 PM

The Corvette is a mid engine vehicle already.

If I want a rear-mid then I would have bought something else. If the Corvette is rear-mid then I will compare it with other rear-mid cars and then end up not buying a Corvette.

A big part of why I buy Corvettes is because they are front-mid engine with rear wheel drive. It's what makes it a Corvette.

DeStreGa5 09-14-2016 12:08 AM

I do hope they keep both. I would actually like the option to have an AWD version. I think that would be very competitive.

nmvettec7 09-14-2016 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 1593052349)
The Corvette is a mid engine vehicle already.

If I want a rear-mid then I would have bought something else. If the Corvette is rear-mid then I will compare it with other rear-mid cars and then end up not buying a Corvette.

A big part of why I buy Corvettes is because they are front-mid engine with rear wheel drive. It's what makes it a Corvette.

There is no way anyone could classify the present Corvette C7 as a mid-engine vehicle.

Yes, the engine sits in the middle of the front engine bay, but that's it.

You will not find one automotive review that calls the C7 a mid-engine vehicle or a front mid-engine vehicle.

From Wikipedia.....

In automotive design, a Front Mid-engine, Front-wheel-drive layout (sometimes called FMF or just MF) is one in which the front road wheels are driven by an internal-combustion engine placed just behind them, in front of the passenger compartment. In contrast to the Front-engine, front-wheel-drive layout (FF), the center of mass of the engine is behind the front axle. This layout is typically chosen for its better weight distribution (the heaviest component is near the center of the car, lowering its moment of inertia). Since the differences between the FF and MF layouts are minor, most people consider the MF layout to be the same as the FF layout.

However, the mid-engined layout uses up central space, making the resulting vehicle rather long. This may be why no manufacturer currently offers the MF layout.
Examples of road cars using the MF layout include the Acura Vigor, Cord 810, BSA Scout, Citroën Traction Avant, Citroën DS, Renault 4 (and derivatives R5 and R6), Renault 16, Saab Sonett mk1, and the Citroën SM, also some commercial vehicles like the Tempo Matador. These vehicles have longitudinal mounted engines; transverse engined vehicles are possible in theory if the issue of passenger footwell location is addressed. The Toyota iQ comes close to this by having its front differential in front of the engine,[1] however despite this, the iQ is still considered to have an FF layout.

Higgs Boson 09-14-2016 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by nmvettec7 (Post 1593052639)
There is no way anyone could classify the present Corvette C7 as a mid-engine vehicle.

Yes, the engine sits in the middle of the front engine bay, but that's it.

You will not find one automotive review that calls the C7 a mid-engine vehicle or a front mid-engine vehicle.

From Wikipedia.....

In automotive design, a Front Mid-engine, Front-wheel-drive layout (sometimes called FMF or just MF) is one in which the front road wheels are driven by an internal-combustion engine placed just behind them, in front of the passenger compartment. In contrast to the Front-engine, front-wheel-drive layout (FF), the center of mass of the engine is behind the front axle. This layout is typically chosen for its better weight distribution (the heaviest component is near the center of the car, lowering its moment of inertia). Since the differences between the FF and MF layouts are minor, most people consider the MF layout to be the same as the FF layout.

However, the mid-engined layout uses up central space, making the resulting vehicle rather long. This may be why no manufacturer currently offers the MF layout.
Examples of road cars using the MF layout include the Acura Vigor, Cord 810, BSA Scout, Citroën Traction Avant, Citroën DS, Renault 4 (and derivatives R5 and R6), Renault 16, Saab Sonett mk1, and the Citroën SM, also some commercial vehicles like the Tempo Matador. These vehicles have longitudinal mounted engines; transverse engined vehicles are possible in theory if the issue of passenger footwell location is addressed. The Toyota iQ comes close to this by having its front differential in front of the engine,[1] however despite this, the iQ is still considered to have an FF layout.

You posted a blurb about FWD cars?:crazy2: You bad at the internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-engine_design
FMR layout – Front Mid-engine / Rear-wheel drive[edit]

Front mid-engine position / Rear-wheel drive
These cars are RWD cars with engine placed between driver and front axle.

Lotus Elan (first generation)
Chevrolet Corvette (second through seventh generations)
Bill Thomas Cheetah (used only one universal joint between transmission tailshaft housing and differential housing)
Dodge/SRT Viper
Ferrari 550 Maranello, Ferrari 575M Maranello, Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, 612 Scaglietti, and Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
Honda S2000
Lexus LFA
Mazda RX-7, MX-5 and RX-8
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren and SLS AMG
Opel GT
Toyota Previa and 2000GT
Nissan 350Z and Nissan 370Z
Nissan Skyline
Porsche 928
Most pre-WWII front engine rear wheel drive cars.

roadbike56 09-14-2016 08:25 AM

I'm old school and prefer the current front engine/mid-engine in front of the driver or whatever else you want to call it.
I hope GM comes out with a mid-engine behind the driver car and I hope it's a Corvette. I'd like to see the Corvette brand expanded to cover a wider range of prices, truly dominating the sports car landscape.

PUGPROUD 09-14-2016 08:28 AM

Love everything about my C7...power, handling, view out the front. ME will offer the same plus more. It's hard to beat the sense of occasion of driving a mid-engine car...balance, handling and power delivery. Something not mentioned often is the spectacular view out the front. You may miss the great fender creases on the C7 but an ME front end just falls away out of view and you get a view of the road ahead that blows you away. Anyone who has driven an ME Ferrari knows what I talk of and never forgets that feeling of seeing the road right in front of you like never before in a car. Rekindles at a super higher level the feelings you had as a kid riding your first tricycle, first two wheeler, sledding down a steep hill, skate boarding, skiing, etc etc. The road in front of you is right there and you are in full control going super fast. Very exhilarating.

Higgs Boson 09-14-2016 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by roadbike56 (Post 1593053451)
I'm old school and prefer the current front engine/mid-engine in front of the driver or whatever else you want to call it.
I hope GM comes out with a mid-engine behind the driver car and I hope it's a Corvette. I'd like to see the Corvette brand expanded to cover a wider range of prices, truly dominating the sports car landscape.

50-120 isn't wide enough? you really want a 250K Chevy?

4thC4at60 09-14-2016 10:21 AM

I own both a C7 and a mid-engine Ferrari

Two totally different handling cars.

My Ferrari has very little luggage space - considerably less than half of what I have in the C7.

I'm taking a major trip in the F-car in October - from Dallas to New England.... will be washing clothes several times on the trip. I could do the whole trip in the Vette and wash clothes when I get back home.... jus' sayin'.....

But, of course, washing clothes several times is WAY offset by the smile on my face driving a Ferrari 5,000 miles, and too, I generally meet interesting people in laundromats.... :thumbs:

Of course, we haven't seen a "final design" on a mid-engine Corvette yet.... so, my comments re luggage space may be totally irrelevant.... particularly if you don't take long trips in your Corvette anyway....

B&BVettes 09-14-2016 10:24 AM

Build both. It will expand the brand and be beneficial to the longevity of the Corvette!

gatti-man 09-14-2016 10:25 AM

I don't know why they don't just go awd. The GTR is a pig and it really moves with awd. An awd c7z would be amazing.

JoesC5 09-14-2016 11:10 AM

The vast majority of Corvette owners are not capable of driving it to it's limits in it's present configuration, so what's to gain from the mid-engine layout? That same group pf people want a car that is comfortable driving on a trip with room for more than two toothbrushes.