CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Warranty denied for track usage on a Z51 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3878848-warranty-denied-for-track-usage-on-a-z51.html)

bikevette 09-16-2016 05:35 PM

Warranty denied for track usage on a Z51

Heads up on track usage.

I heard a "clunking" noise when on the track last week. Took it into the dealer. Apparently the eLSD isn't working as both rear wheels rotate independently of each other when on the lift. The GM Regional Rep who happened to be at the dealership I'm told, denied the warranty due to the fact the car has been on the track. Apparently he said the car looks like it's been "abused" due to the condition of the tires and slag in the wheel wells. This is normal wear and tear for an HPDE. I diligently keep up with tire, rotor, and brake pad changes when necessary.

This car is a 2015 Z51, which is designed for use on the track, and the manual tells you how to prepare the car for the track. I am not doing any competitive racing, or wouldn't even know how to competitively race. The track events I attend are normal HPDE schools.

I am waiting for a call from the GM Regional Rep as I asked the dealer to have him contact me regarding why a car designed with a track package would not be warrantied due to track usage.

Cromagnum 09-16-2016 05:38 PM

Wow, that's pretty shitty. I would clean it up good and take it somewhere else.

UsaBest 09-16-2016 05:42 PM

GM will look for anything and everything to avoid paying for warranty issues. I'm guessing the C7 is costing them a bundle in general warranty claims due to bad transmissions, recalls, valve springs, and electrical issues and Ediff failures. Take the car to a different dealer out of the zone district you are in. ORRR call the BBB and file a breech of warranty claim with them.

hisvett 09-16-2016 05:44 PM

You are on the correct track; just keep climbing that ladder. Good luck :cheers:

ExRedRacer 09-16-2016 05:44 PM

Please keep us posted and good luck with getting the right answer.

rmorin1249 09-16-2016 05:48 PM

This is very concerning and hopefully not a trend. If it is Chevrolet needs to change its advertising.

bikevette 09-16-2016 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer (Post 1593072615)
Please keep us posted and good luck with getting the right answer.

OK, 5 minutes after posting this thread the service manager called the Regional Rep to ask him to call me and told him my feelings on the issue.

They now have reconsidered and said they would repair the car and send any bad parts in, or any info showing a computer glitch when I asked them to check that also (there is a computer dedicated to the differential eLSD clutch), and if GM engineering determines that the fault is with the car and not abuse on my part they will reimburse me.

Fair enough IMO. I'm glad the Reg. Rep reconsidered. I didn't do anything other than normal 2nd - 4th gear manual shifting out there. Will put my trust into the engineering department.

MikeyTX 09-16-2016 05:55 PM

Evidently, Harlin Charles hair dresser has raised his rates ............ :willy::rofl:

05XLRtoC7_San Diego 09-16-2016 06:00 PM

Sorry to hear this has been a hassle.
I purposely bought the base C7 instead of the Z51 because I was concerned about eLSD reliability.
How much would this have cost if not covered by warranty?

bikevette 09-16-2016 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego (Post 1593072705)
Sorry to hear this has been a hassle.
I purposely bought the base C7 instead of the Z51 because I was concerned about eLSD reliability.
How much would this have cost if not covered by warranty?

Don't know yet. A non-Z51 would have difficulties with warranty for anything associated with an HPDE. That's one of the reasons I bought the Z51.

As far as cleaning it up and taking it elsewhere, I'll stick with honesty is the best policy. We'll see.

C7&7 09-16-2016 06:09 PM

This is total horsesh!t. If the car hasn't been modified and the warranty is still in tack then GM can't say a damn thing about "how you do or do not abuse your car". Just keep climbing the ladder within GM.

Sorry about this though, sucks there are dealerships that even try this crap. Who is the dealership? They're lying through their teeth I bet about a "regional rep just happening to be there"

JimNeedsC7 09-16-2016 06:55 PM

The track usage excuse is definitely bogus. You called them on it and they folded. Good job.

I hope that they fix the problem correctly and that you are happy with the outcome. Some other people have had issues once GM started to mess with their rear ends. :D

MAKC7 09-16-2016 07:14 PM

Wonder the success or failure rate of vehicles at Spring Mountain. They are driven fairly hard and do they see any warranty issues.

dbirdhouse1 09-16-2016 08:59 PM

Maybe it's my frustration with Comcast

For the third time in a year I've had to play "phone wars" with a certain cable company to get a price I was assured of for two years.....the connection?

I believe when it comes to receiving fair treatment from many companies; be it car or cable, I believe (and maybe even on an actuarial basis) they COUNT ON a measurable percentage of customers to back down and accept the conclusion, the numbers, etc.

I know this may come as no surprise to some but it just adds to my cynicism when dealing with such situations....if true, it's a genuine shame.

In your case it sounds like you have received an honest response and I appreciate and respect your honesty in dealing with them.

16sedanSS 09-16-2016 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by bikevette (Post 1593072664)
OK, 5 minutes after posting this thread the service manager called the Regional Rep .....
They now have reconsidered

That's awesome.
I'm very happy for you and hope GM does right by you.

Frequent blown rear ends in my 4th Generation Z28, on stock tires, on public roads, drove me insane. Those weak rears led to me buying my first new Corvette.

What I find disturbing is your claim that 5 minutes after you posted this thread, GM's response magically changed. If true, that makes me wonder if car forums today remain a open and honest forum populated and ran by real owners to discuss their cars without bias and censorship.

Or, have all car forums become fraudulent marketing tools for car manufacturers that really own them, and manipulate and censor their public discussions, in order to create and perpetuate a false narrative and brand, just to sell more cars.
It makes you wonder.......

Case in point: One of my cars is an import luxury performance sedan and I've been active on that forum from the day I bought it new.
As soon as I posted the legitimate shortcomings of the new redesigned replacement model, and shared the common belief that the manufacturer had lost their way, I was banned without cause, or even a warning over the 10 years I had been active on that forum.
Like I said, it makes you wonder.....

themonk 09-16-2016 09:51 PM

:bs

GM provides brake cooling rings designed specifically for track use.....something is wrong here.

Gvnski 09-16-2016 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by MAKC7 (Post 1593073141)
Wonder the success or failure rate of vehicles at Spring Mountain. They are driven fairly hard and do they see any warranty issues.

Spring Mountain cars do not have a power train warranty. Any failure is all on them.

Rooster OG 09-16-2016 10:14 PM

I hope this works out for you, please post updates if you can. Good luck!

bikevette 09-16-2016 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by 16sedanSS (Post 1593073947)
That's awesome.
I'm very happy for you and hope GM does right by you.

Frequent blown rear ends in my 4th Generation Z28, on stock tires, on public roads, drove me insane. Those weak rears led to me buying my first new Corvette.

What I find disturbing is your claim that 5 minutes after you posted this thread, GM's response magically changed. If true, that makes me wonder if car forums today remain a open and honest forum populated and ran by real owners to discuss their cars without bias and censorship.

Or, have all car forums become fraudulent marketing tools for car manufacturers that really own them, and manipulate and censor their public discussions, in order to create and perpetuate a false narrative and brand, just to sell more cars.
It makes you wonder.......

Case in point: One of my cars is an import luxury performance sedan and I've been active on that forum from the day I bought it new.
As soon as I posted the legitimate shortcomings of the new redesigned replacement model, and shared the common belief that the manufacturer had lost their way, I was banned without cause, or even a warning over the 10 years I had been active on that forum.
Like I said, it makes you wonder.....

I didn't mean to insinuate that the GM Reg. Rep's turnaround was related to this forum entry. My only intent is to share my experience with other HPDE guys like myself. Prior to me entering this thread, I told the dealer to call the Rep. to have him call me about my concerns re: his decision. Apparently the dealer explained my concerns to the Rep., and the Rep. decided to change his mind. I doubt in that short of a time two and two could be put together that fast regarding this forum thread.

Whether the dealer had any influence on the Rep's. decision I have no idea. My only speculation, and it's only speculation, is that dealer's don't get reimbursed by car companies very well for warranty work, compared to what they charge a customer for hourly rates.

I continue to hope that GM will step up here. I can't imagine anything I did that would cause an eLSD failure. The noticeable "clunking" noise came out of nowhere. If they do, I will post here and commend them for their decision.

vbdenny 09-16-2016 11:29 PM

Driving a Corvette on a track is abuse? If that doesnt take it all. Watched a bunch of C7 Z06 cars on the track at the Glen. Did not see one base or Z51.