CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   Which engine oil for boosted cars? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/3880547-which-engine-oil-for-boosted-cars.html)

corvet786c 09-20-2016 04:03 PM

Which engine oil for boosted cars?
 
I know this topic has been beaten to death, and I have searched the forums and called a couple of vendors getting different answers. I currently live in Fla and use 5w-30 but the oil temps get around 220-235 daily driving, should I be concerned. Or just keep what I have.

But reading other are using 10w-30 10w-40 etc. any difference. Thoughts? More Zinc is better etc etc. Valvoline VR-1 synthetic.

My setup is Boosted LS6 forged pistons, rods, D1SC about 8lbs of boost, daily driver occasional drag racing.

Can I get away just buying full synthetic at walmart? Pennzoil platnium

Dave concrete 09-20-2016 05:07 PM


Originally Posted by corvet786c (Post 1593097276)
I know this topic has been beaten to death, and I have searched the forums and called a couple of vendors getting different answers. I currently live in Fla and use 5w-30 but the oil temps get around 220-235 daily driving, should I be concerned. Or just keep what I have.

But reading other are using 10w-30 10w-40 etc. any difference. Thoughts? More Zinc is better etc etc. Valvoline VR-1 synthetic.

My setup is Boosted LS6 forged pistons, rods, D1SC about 8lbs of boost, daily driver occasional drag racing.

Can I get away just buying full synthetic at walmart? Pennzoil platnium

Still use Mobil 1, and so does GM. still use 5w 30.

robert miller 09-20-2016 05:15 PM

ttt
 
I would ask the engine builder what to use. If he build the motor with a blower in mind you may need to use a thicker oil. Robert

nullpointer 09-20-2016 05:19 PM

Ask the builder about the weight. I run pennzoil ultra platinum and haven't had any issues.

corvet786c 09-20-2016 05:39 PM

Well I called texas speed, because its built and they built it forged LS6 shortblock. They said Valvoline VR-1 synthetic 10w-30

But I heard that too much zinc is bad for o2 sensors, Is this correct. I am catless with longtube headers.

Can you guys clarify this info for me, about the zinc factor and not much detergents in it?

Also would changing oil weight to 10w 30 add more pressure in the motor. Would more oil blowby get on the breather cap?

Turpid porpoise 09-20-2016 05:49 PM

You should be fine with that oil. My understanding is that excess zinc, phosphorous, etc can clog the porous membrane of the o2 sensor but your o2 sensor shouldn't be getting enough of it from your oil to substantially decrease the life of your sensors.

corvet786c 09-20-2016 06:04 PM

So is my current oil weight (5w-30) the optimum for my set up? I am thinking even a 5w-40 or 10w-40 just to try to get those oil temps down a little while cruzing but still lubricate well.

junk c5 09-20-2016 08:42 PM

I've got a front mount turbo which creates a lot of heat under the hood. AES built my motor and advised I use Valvoline VR-1 synthetic 20w-50. I know it's a tad thick so I was told to let the motor get a little heat into it before I start whooping on it.

FixedRoof 09-20-2016 09:35 PM

FL here as well and it has been hot recently. I normally use VR-1 in my forged LS6 C5 and Rotella in my stock bottom magnacharged LS6. I don't care for Mobil 1 anymore. It isn't what it used to be. Last time that I used it in my magnacharged car it drained out like water. This car is very hard on oil, not a C5 and has high oil temps. I'd rather run regular Valvoline Synpower.

10w-30 isn't really going to be thicker than 5w-30 at high oil temps. They are both 30wt at operating temp. I've never ran a 5w-30 in any of my cars

How is the oil pressure?

corvet786c 09-21-2016 02:28 AM


Originally Posted by FixedRoof (Post 1593099522)
FL here as well and it has been hot recently. I normally use VR-1 in my forged LS6 C5 and Rotella in my stock bottom magnacharged LS6. I don't care for Mobil 1 anymore. It isn't what it used to be. Last time that I used it in my magnacharged car it drained out like water. This car is very hard on oil, not a C5 and has high oil temps. I'd rather run regular Valvoline Synpower.

10w-30 isn't really going to be thicker than 5w-30 at high oil temps. They are both 30wt at operating temp. I've never ran a 5w-30 in any of my cars

How is the oil pressure?

Oil pressure seems to be normal in what I see, after warm up and acceleration go to 55-60 psi then when idling at normal temps at a light 30-35 psi. This is a forged LS6 procharged with 8lbs of boost. Thanks Thoughts? So what would you suggest 10w-40? I thought Rotella was for diesel trucks?

Cutlassmaster 09-21-2016 06:47 AM

My stock LS1 was running 216 - 226 oil temps on 5w-30 Amsoil. I put together an oil cooler set up with a 180 thermostat. It was running under 200 normal. At a road course it hit 205. Been really happy with it. Now its time to forge the motor and turn up a little more boost. My oil pressures hot were about 30 idle and 46 on highway.

neverstop 09-21-2016 08:09 PM

i would go with whatever your engine builder recommends. LME built my motor and they recommend joe gibbs oil 10w40 for my motor

Quickshift_C5 09-22-2016 12:53 PM


Originally Posted by Cutlassmaster (Post 1593100750)
My stock LS1 was running 216 - 226 oil temps on 5w-30 Amsoil. I put together an oil cooler set up with a 180 thermostat. It was running under 200 normal. At a road course it hit 205. Been really happy with it. Now its time to forge the motor and turn up a little more boost. My oil pressures hot were about 30 idle and 46 on highway.

This is exactly my experience with my AES Forged LS6. I use Amsoil Premium Performance 10W40. No oil cooler yet.

Dunn 09-22-2016 02:12 PM

Rotella 15w40

Smoove 09-22-2016 04:03 PM

5w is too lite...I would go with a 10 or 15 weight in a supercharged florida car....or 20 or 20/50 wt turbo car in florida.

reactor2 09-22-2016 11:22 PM

Royal Purple HPS is the correct answer. :D

corvet786c 09-23-2016 07:28 AM


Originally Posted by Smoove (Post 1593111056)
5w is too lite...I would go with a 10 or 15 weight in a supercharged florida car....or 20 or 20/50 wt turbo car in florida.

This is what I am trying to figure out. All I need to know would 10w-30 be thicker or 10w-40. I am not worried about cold start ups in Fla But want to make sure bearings cam crank are in good syn oil.

Smoove 09-23-2016 08:40 AM


Originally Posted by corvet786c (Post 1593114604)
This is what I am trying to figure out. All I need to know would 10w-30 be thicker or 10w-40. I am not worried about cold start ups in Fla But want to make sure bearings cam crank are in good syn oil.

I run straight 50 weight in my turbo car, and I am right down the road from you. We run 20wt in another non turbo car, also right down the street from you. To answer your question the 10w40, will be thicker than 10w30 AT HIGHER TEMPERATURE.

corvet786c 09-23-2016 11:14 AM


Originally Posted by Smoove (Post 1593114880)
I run straight 50 weight in my turbo car, and I am right down the road from you. We run 20wt in another non turbo car, also right down the street from you. To answer your question the 10w40, will be thicker than 10w30 AT HIGHER TEMPERATURE.

Will I lose horsepower using the 10w-40 from 5w-30, also will this bring my oil temps down?

Corvette0096 09-23-2016 12:09 PM

Rotella 15w40


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands