CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   Which engine oil for boosted cars? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/3880547-which-engine-oil-for-boosted-cars.html)

inspector12 10-25-2016 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Juhatee (Post 1593327084)
Unfortunately not. Just theories, book knowledge and experience with smaller capacity engines with high hp.

With 1300+ hp it might be hard to get rods and block which are so rigid that you could use ideal clearances so I see your point there.

EDIT: I assume also that it's a quess what kind of deformations there are and therefore the extra clearance is also a quess..?

Well all the manufacturers of the bearings make them bigger at the parting lines, I assume for the same reason. They are not round like you might think The rods are perfectly round (.001")and the bearing are not so I'm guessing that's from experience on there part same with the mains. So when you talk about clearances its only the top and bottom that really measured. You check the side clearance for reference, but they will all be quite larger than top to bottom.

MVP'S ZO6 10-26-2016 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by TTBlueZ06 (Post 1593326888)
LSX Block with .0003-.00032 main clearances
High Volume Standard Pressure Melling Pump
Twin Turbo with ball bearing restrictors

With Conventional 10-30 Valvoline im seeing 27psi hot idle 250 Degrees and Mid 40's cruising..

I was concerned about pressure too until I spoke with some people that I believe are wiser than I am in that field... I am considering installing the high pressure spring in the pump though. Wonder if that will actually raise pressure.... Ill be putting my Setrab 625 cooler back into the system this winter so I know that will induce some pressure drop and I would rather not have that happen.

That's .0030 - .0032 for your main clearances sir. If your main clearances were .0003 - .00032 you probably would have wiped out the mains by now. :cheers:

Ok this is for everyone's knowledge if you don't know this already. One thing people need to understand about their oiling system is that it is a hydraulic circuit. In a hydraulic circuit one needs to understand the difference between pressure and flow. Contrary to popular belief The oil pump does not produce pressure. The oil pump delivers flow. The flow that the pump delivers is met by resistance (the oiling system to include the thickness of the oil itself) the amount of resistance is the pressure with in your hydraulic system (in this case the engine oiling system) is pressure.

So if you have a specific bearing clearance for illustration purposes let's say it's .001" vertical oil clearance on your main bearings; and your hot idle pressure is 30 psi and you open that clearance up to .003 your oil pressure (which as we have just learned is the measurement of resistance to flow) is going to go down. Because the door the oil has to go through (the clearance) is now larger. This is what happens in a very basic sense. It should also be known that like most hydraulic pumps, your oil pumps "FLOW" is determined by its size and how fast it's driven. Make sense?

So if you thicken your engine oil you can change your oiling systems "Pressure" same goes for thinning you oil.

If you change your pumps speed or size you can change your oiling systems "Pressure".

If you chance the size of your your oiling system circuit (part of that being bearing clearances) you can change your oiling systems "Pressure"

So, when you guys change any of these things you need to realize that you need to "establish a Trend" (good phrase for this scenario BlownBlueZ06 uses) in oil pressure before you go freaking out.

Make sense?

TTBlueZ06 10-27-2016 07:12 AM

Yeah yeah yeah.... typo.

MVP'S ZO6 10-27-2016 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by TTBlueZ06 (Post 1593339231)
Yeah yeah yeah.... typo.

:lol:

Blow Torch 10-29-2016 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Corvette0096 (Post 1593116351)
Rotella 15w40

Is this the T6?
I have looked for T6 15-40 and cant seem to find anywhere local:willy:

PEETYZ 10-30-2016 08:42 AM

T6 is 5-40 synthetic but can be used in the 15-40 non synthetic applications in place of the other oil in the rotella line. I read it on their site I believe. T6 is my current oil as well

SyndicatePlus 04-18-2017 06:56 PM

Good writeup on why something like Brad Penn Racing Oil makes a real difference.

ForcePerformance PDF

However, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum has amazing protection. And if you add Prolong, even better. Or so says this long list of comparisons

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

I use T6 in my 7.3 F350. It is also pretty awesome stuff.

winters97gt 04-18-2017 09:26 PM

Rotella 15w40

romandian 04-19-2017 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by SyndicatePlus (Post 1594557531)
Good writeup on why something like Brad Penn Racing Oil makes a real difference.

ForcePerformance PDF

However, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum has amazing protection. And if you add Prolong, even better. Or so says this long list of comparisons

very interesting. the two documents basically contradict themselves. and mobil1 is still the best according to the latter. i wonder who wrote it.

HardcoreABN 04-29-2017 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by SyndicatePlus (Post 1594557531)

ForcePerformance PDF

Prolong...isn't that what people take who don't wanna finish first?bahahaha

nullpointer 05-03-2017 03:31 PM

I had a UOA done on my blown Z with PUP 5w30 and it wasn't good. Trying Castrol 0w-40 for 1000 miles and re-testing to see it metals dropped. Off the shelf is cheaper, but I might just have to go back to Amsoil.

SyndicatePlus 05-03-2017 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreABN (Post 1594630698)
Prolong...isn't that what people take who don't wanna finish first?bahahaha

Yes, I take a quart before sexy time. Works wonders, I go for days. My Girlfriend loves it. So does my wife.

LAWLZ