CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Winter storage, no plug-in available (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3880673-winter-storage-no-plug-in-available.html)

yyzz06 09-20-2016 09:02 PM

Winter storage, no plug-in available

I'm in a condo and don't have anywhere to plug a trickle charger in for the winter storage season in the underground parking lot of my building. Any suggestions (should I just disconnect the battery, or maybe leave it connected and call for a boost in the spring, or start it and drive it around the lot periodically)?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

NSC5 09-20-2016 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by yyzz06 (Post 1593099324)
I'm in a condo and don't have anywhere to plug a trickle charger in for the winter storage season in the underground parking lot of my building. Any suggestions (should I just disconnect the battery, or maybe leave it connected and call for a boost in the spring, or start it and drive it around the lot periodically)?

I would pull it and then recharge it in your condo before installing it in the Spring. The draw over a number of months will be enough to pull the battery into deep discharge which will greatly decrease its life.

I don't think it is very practical but you could probably use one of the jump packs that has a built in inverter to power a trickle charger to keep the C7 battery installed and "topped off". This would require a lot of moving the jump pack from your condo (to recharge it) down to the garage to power the trickle charger. I wouldn't take this route but put it out there as an alternative if for some reason you want to try to keep the battery charged and have no nearby source of power.

Corvette ED 09-20-2016 09:21 PM

Start it every 10-14 days let it run for 15 mins and you will be fine

PUGPROUD 09-20-2016 09:29 PM

Buy all season tires and take it out on clear winter days...that's what I'm doing.

themonk 09-20-2016 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by PUGPROUD (Post 1593099480)
Buy all season tires and take it out on clear winter days...that's what I'm doing.

If you're going to buy all seasons you might as well get full on winters, all seasons are useless in winter and seeing as how you live in NY state I will assume you get snow. Roads with snow on them even on nice days are slippery and AS tires are useles for stopping on them. Trust me, I've been driving Corvettes and Mustang GT's in the winter for the last 18 years and dedicated winter tires are the only way to go in winter.

Vetteman Jack 09-20-2016 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by NSC5 (Post 1593099392)
I would pull it and then recharge it in your condo before installing it in the Spring. The draw over a number of months will be enough to pull the battery into deep discharge which will greatly decrease its life.

That's what I would do.

Foosh 09-21-2016 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1593100211)
That's what I would do.

Agreed.

I don't agree with starting it and letting it idle for 15 minutes every 10-14 days. You'd be doing more harm than good.

DAFFYDRUNK 09-21-2016 12:54 AM

I'd just make sure it's charged up, then disconnect the neg on the battery and not worry about it.

jasonsbiz74 09-21-2016 01:03 AM

winter sucks !

Foosh 09-21-2016 01:21 AM

It does, but I just keep driving, regardless. There are plenty of days in most places to get it on the road and up to operating temp and driven 30 miles or so once a month at least. However, the OP's location may be more difficult to do that.

Boiler_81 09-21-2016 10:20 AM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK (Post 1593100382)
I'd just make sure it's charged up, then disconnect the neg on the battery and not worry about it.

I know two people who have done this for the past two winters with no issue.

Bob Z. 09-21-2016 10:34 AM

Since you are only in Toronto and not the North Pole you have enough nice days without snow to take it out every so often so it should not be a problem. But if you really don't want the salt fling take the battery out and put it on a trickle charge in your unit.

bearphoto 09-21-2016 10:34 AM

I also would either disconnect the battery or remove it and take it inside or somewhere that allows a battery maintainer.

Glen e 09-21-2016 10:50 AM

I am also in a condo and go through the same thing. The absolute best way to do this is to pull the battery as stated above. The second best, and it will work fine, it's to pull the negative battery cable after you charge the battery to 100%. You don't lose any settings, the car will hold the majority of stuff that you programmed in.

dvilin 09-21-2016 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1593101963)
I am also in a condo and go through the same thing. The absolute best way to do this is to pull the battery as stated above. The second best, and it will work fine, it's to pull the negative battery cable after you charge the battery to 100%. You don't lose any settings, the car will hold the majority of stuff that you programmed in.

dvilin 09-21-2016 10:52 AM

:nono:

Originally Posted by Corvette ED (Post 1593099432)

Woodson 09-21-2016 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Corvette ED (Post 1593099432)

Definitely not.

Red08 09-21-2016 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by NSC5 (Post 1593099392)

I don't think it is very practical but you could probably use one of the jump packs that has a built in inverter to power a trickle charger to keep the C7 battery installed and "topped off". This would require a lot of moving the jump pack from your condo (to recharge it) down to the garage to power the trickle charger. I wouldn't take this route but put it out there as an alternative if for some reason you want to try to keep the battery charged and have no nearby source of power.

Corvette ED 09-21-2016 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Woodson (Post 1593102029)
Definitely not.

Tell me why?

kaplana08 09-21-2016 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by yyzz06 (Post 1593099324)

Whatever you do, don't start it for 15 min every few days. what that does is build up water in the exhaust system and rots the pipes since not enough heat will build up in order to dry the condensation. as would if you took a good drive. Also condensation in the oil system. bad idea.