CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Corvette Owner's $760 Speeding Ticket Seems Like a Steal (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3880823-corvette-owners-760-speeding-ticket-seems-like-a-steal.html)

Detroit Steel 09-21-2016 11:04 AM

Corvette Owner's $760 Speeding Ticket Seems Like a Steal

https://www.corvetteforum.com/wp-con...ette-Show-.jpg

Back in 2008, Vicki Rago drove her 2007 Corvette Z06 from her home in Bowling Green, Kentucky to a car show in Ocean City, New Jersey. And apparently, she was in quite a hurry to get there.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>

yellowzron 09-21-2016 11:28 AM

Before I entered my career in law enforcement, I paid a 380 dollar speeding ticket, it was for speeding in a work zone. I was driving a trans am. I would love to know how this lady did not get arrested? Driving that fast is an automatic arrest, and vehicle impoundment. She must have been a very good looking girl. :D

Tech 09-21-2016 12:18 PM

I've heard of several people being let off for high MPH tickets like that. I think the cops were shocked that they pulled over. There was no way a cruiser from a dead stop (or oncoming traffic) could catch a car doing 200 mph. I know that you can't "outrun a radio" but that first cop is going to lose sight of you pretty quickly.

SpeedyD 09-21-2016 12:31 PM

I have no idea how she didn't get arrested/towed or even a court date. I was pulled over for 85mph and given a promise to appear once. Another time I went by a cop at 170 plus...... um, no ticket......

fueledpassion 09-21-2016 12:42 PM

I've never bothered to go that fast. I'd be concerned that the tires would come apart before reaching 200.

That said, I've never had to pay anything greater than a court fee. Never had a ticket beyond 78 in a 55.

That doesn't mean I haven't gone faster than that though...

Soul Reaper 09-21-2016 01:47 PM

I figured I would share, even though my ticket is not for speeding.

I was on Woodward (couple weeks before the dream cruise) and Rev'ed my motor once (up to ~6700rpm), while cruising next to a Viper. I got slapped with a Misdemeanor ticket for a noise violation.

Ended up paying over $1000 (including lawyer fees) to get the situation handled and the resulting fine.

yellowzron 09-21-2016 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Soul Reaper (Post 1593103122)
I figured I would share, even though my ticket is not for speeding.

I was on Woodward (couple weeks before the dream cruise) and Rev'ed my motor once (up to ~6700rpm), while cruising next to a Viper. I got slapped with a Misdemeanor ticket for a noise violation.

Ended up paying over $1000 (including lawyer fees) to get the situation handled and the resulting fine.

Wow, and ouch. Being in law enforcement, how do they prove the loudness of the car exhaust without decibel meter? That suxs

TomcatMF 09-21-2016 02:22 PM

I paid $500 for a ticket (including both fine and administrative fees). The CHP clocked me at 91, but I was going much faster before he pulled me over.

So far it's the only ticket I ever got, and with the hammer it put on my insurance (no traffic school because I was 26 over the limit) I never want another one.

Soul Reaper 09-21-2016 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by yellowzron (Post 1593103265)
Wow, and ouch. Being in law enforcement, how do they prove the loudness of the car exhaust without decibel meter? That suxs

It was a city ordinance, so it was written to basically be very open ended. "Whatever annoys, injures or endangers the safety, health, comfort or repose of the public; offends public decency; interferes with, obstructs or renders dangerous any street, highway, navigable lake or stream; or in any way renders the public insecure in life or property is hereby declared to be a public nuisance. Public nuisances shall include but not be limited to whatever is forbidden by any provision of this chapter. No person shall commit, create, or maintain any nuisance. "

Guess the people who live close are complaining too much about the noise. Sadly I only have a borla cat-back, stock everything else on my C6Z.

cv67 09-21-2016 02:31 PM

"display of horsepower" is how they interpret revving out here
btdt. Hot rodding is practically illegal here now

yellowzron 09-21-2016 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Soul Reaper (Post 1593103428)
It was a city ordinance, so it was written to basically be very open ended. "Whatever annoys, injures or endangers the safety, health, comfort or repose of the public; offends public decency; interferes with, obstructs or renders dangerous any street, highway, navigable lake or stream; or in any way renders the public insecure in life or property is hereby declared to be a public nuisance. Public nuisances shall include but not be limited to whatever is forbidden by any provision of this chapter. No person shall commit, create, or maintain any nuisance. "

Guess the people who live close are complaining too much about the noise. Sadly I only have a borla cat-back, stock everything else on my C6Z.

Wow, I really think that is bogus. Open ended interpretation to mess with people.

86C4Z51 09-21-2016 05:49 PM

I am not going to jinx myself by posting in this thread.

86C4Z51 09-21-2016 05:50 PM

Oops

birdsong 09-21-2016 06:50 PM

Slightly over $500. Passed two cars the CHP clocked at 82 like they were sitting still, was very lucky to find a nice LEO. Wrote me for 90+.

z06clif 09-21-2016 06:50 PM

196 is hard to believe. Takes awhile to get up there. Really taking your life in your hands. not to mention other people. Better to let people think your diminished than to open your mouth or display proof and remove all doubt JMHO

Clif

Huskerman 09-21-2016 08:54 PM

I got a warning ticket for speed in excess of a 100 mph late one summer night back in 69. I worked the late shift at a service station that closed at 11 pm. After closing up I pulled my 65 Roadster in and serviced it and put new plugs coil and condenser on it. It was one of those perfect warm summer evenings and I locked up and headed out on the highway....looking for adventure.....in whatever came my way........when I hit the edge of town I opened it up....top was down I was 19 with a 65 Corvette and a big smile......over the hill and down another with long hair blowing in the wind I was moving by now and then saw a car coming up to a stop sign at the bottom of the hill......it was a State Patrolman......I never even considered lifting.....shot by him and up the other hill and never even looked back at him.......I just kept going at around 120 or better.......about 3 miles later I slowed down and saw a nice country road with trees on each side so I turned in there and went about a 1/4 mile and shut the lights off. Popped the hood and checked to see if all was ok.......

Heard gravel popping and looked up and there he was......no lights flashing.....He gets out and ambles over.......hows it running? uh ok real good in fact......I'll say it is....by the time I saw you coming down the hill and reached up to turn on the radar you were by me and gone.....uh,really? You been drinking?......no sir.....( I hadn't been) ok wait here.....and he goes and sits in his car and calls me in to see if there are any wants or warrants.....then he comes back and hands me this warning ticket for speeding in access of 100 mph.....don't let me catch you doing anything like that again son.......yes sir.......

I had that in my wallet for years after that..........and that's my story and I'm sticking to it....:yesnod:

Movie Muscle 09-21-2016 09:13 PM

I forget my highest dollar ticket but not my funniest (Open to interpretation). In 1989 I had borrowed a friend's cherry black ASC McLaren Mustang convertible. It was 3 am, and I was on my way back to drop it off. My other buddy who was following me in my car decided to get up my bumper. We hit a red light in the middle of town and he inched right up on me. I looked around. Not a car in sight. The light turned green , and I left sideways in a cloud of smoke. Up the hill towards the 711. As I crested the hill I had to hit the brakes for a funny zig zagging light in the middle of the road. Low and behold a bicycle cop was blocking the road, and waving his flashlight. I didn't feel so bad when I saw the Camaro he had pulled over as well. I interrupted his giving him a ticket. As I waited I heard the officer say "his burnout was way better than yours but he's getting the same ticket". That cheered me up more than the officer likely would have liked lol. He was not using radar so he just hit me with an unnecessary noise with a motor vehicle ticket. Nowadays I would not have fared so well.I never lived down being pulled over by a bicycle cop.

C5 Hardtop 09-21-2016 09:23 PM

Big fat lie.

Steve Haefner 09-21-2016 10:43 PM

No comment!

MTPZ06 09-21-2016 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by yellowzron (Post 1593102208)
I would love to know how this lady did not get arrested? Driving that fast is an automatic arrest, and vehicle impoundment.

Tits