CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Corvette Z06 Tested by 'The Grand Tour,' or at Least by Its Stars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3886619-corvette-z06-tested-by-the-grand-tour-or-at-least-by-its-stars.html)

Corvette Forum Editor 10-04-2016 02:13 PM

Corvette Z06 Tested by 'The Grand Tour,' or at Least by Its Stars

https://www.corvetteforum.com/wp-con...5503628618.jpg

Clarkson, Hammond, and May pit a Corvette Z06 against a Mercedes AMG GT and a Porsche 911 Turbo.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>

ZMan64 10-04-2016 02:45 PM

So freakin' happy to see Clarkson, Hammond, and May back together again testing phenomenal cars (and each other) in fantastic locales!! :rock::woohoo::cheers:

Granted, Clarkson can be an a*#ho%e, but the BBC really shot itself in the foot letting go of this trio.

ZR1Gerhardt 10-04-2016 03:09 PM

Is that even a Z07 version? When I saw the ground effects up front in the video, it looked like a stage 2 only? Am I wrong?

sunsalem 10-04-2016 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ZR1Gerhardt (Post 1593186223)
Is that even a Z07 version? When I saw the ground effects up front in the video, it looked like a stage 2 only? Am I wrong?

Nope, you're not wrong.
Stage 2 front splitter and Stage 3 wing.:rolleyes:

sunsalem 10-04-2016 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ZMan64 (Post 1593186085)
So freakin' happy to see Clarkson, Hammond, and May back together again testing phenomenal cars (and each other) in fantastic locales!! :rock::woohoo::cheers:

I'm with ya.

Granted, Clarkson can be an a*#ho%e, but the BBC really shot itself in the foot letting go of this trio.
IIRC, it was their #1 show.
The BBC stupidly decided to make it all about a Battle of Egos, rather than look at the business side of it.
A private network would never have made such a idiotic choice when there was hundreds of millions of Euros in play.

5thGear 10-04-2016 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by sunsalem (Post 1593186289)

The BBC stupidly decided to make it all about a Battle of Egos, rather than look at the business side of it.
A private network would never have made such a idiotic choice when there was hundreds of millions of Euros in play.

I was a big fan of the show but BBC did the right thing. Jeremy got fired because he verbally and physically abused a producer for breaking the news to him that the hotel restaurant was closed. Apparently he had a long history for such behavior. I liked Jeremy show personality but he deserved to be fired and maybe even arrested. Character is important. James and Richard quit because of BBC decision to fire Jeremy.

ZMan64 10-04-2016 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by 5thGear (Post 1593186372)
I was a big fan of the show but BBC did the right thing. Jeremy got fired because he verbally and physically abused a producer for breaking the news to him that the hotel restaurant was closed. Apparently he had a long history for such behavior. I liked Jeremy show personality but he deserved to be fired and maybe even arrested. Character is important. James and Richard quit because of BBC decision to fire Jeremy.

True, Clarkson had a history of boorish behavior. I wonder though if any of what the general public was told was blown out of proportion. I remember when the story of the incident with his producer first broke, there was one accounting in which Clarkson supposedly called the producer the n word. That later was proven untrue. If he put his hands on the guy there's no excuse and he probably should have been fired.

Problem for the BBC is that they lost their biggest stars and show. No exaggeration, Top Gear BBC is in the Guinness Book of World records for having the most watched "factual" show in the world. What replaced it is a sad attempt to keep the series going, which should probably have been allowed to die.

sunsalem 10-04-2016 03:57 PM

I get that.
My point is the BBC lost their bread and butter revenue stream.

The replacement show was horrid and viewers turned off almost immediately.
The 3 Musketeers had a sort of magic together that rarely happens in TV Land.
The BBC thought they could replicate it...they couldn't.

As for Jeremy, he needed a "minder" with him after his history of outbursts.
Management failed the show/viewers in this regard IMO.

spearfish25 10-04-2016 08:01 PM

The NFL functions on turning blind eyes to far worse things than what Clarkson did in the name of money and ratings.

BMadden 10-04-2016 09:05 PM

Obviously he's an arrogant, pompous ass, but as sunsalem said those three together make TV magic and I'm over the moon that their new show will be airing soon. :cool:

nunii 10-04-2016 09:06 PM

I agree that nobody can beat theses guys, but I think motor trend is pretty close to replicate there magic!

spearfish25 10-04-2016 09:40 PM

^Motor Trend is doing a solid job. I could definitely watch all those guys go to Africa and mess around with beat up cars.

Twowheelin_wildman 10-04-2016 10:05 PM

:iagree:

Speednet 10-04-2016 11:02 PM

A good reminder of why I hate that show so much. It may be British humor, but it's not funny British humor. His hatred of Corvettes only makes it all worse.

sunsalem 10-05-2016 02:10 AM

spearfish25 10-05-2016 03:23 AM

I found that segment to be pretty darn funny and I'm from Indiana.

ZMan64 10-05-2016 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Speednet (Post 1593189367)
A good reminder of why I hate that show so much. It may be British humor, but it's not funny British humor. His hatred of Corvettes only makes it all worse.

Apparently you're not very familiar with Clarkson's wicked sense of humor or the show. They did an episode a little while back in which he drove a C6 ZR1 and loved it!

360Lemans 10-05-2016 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by spearfish25 (Post 1593188098)
The NFL functions on turning blind eyes to far worse things than what Clarkson did in the name of money and ratings.

YEP!! The Wife and I have banned NFL from our viewing and will have a patriotic anti super bowl party this year.

ZR1Gerhardt 10-05-2016 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ZMan64 (Post 1593190031)
Apparently you're not very familiar with Clarkson's wicked sense of humor or the show. They did an episode a little while back in which he drove a C6 ZR1 and loved it!
https://youtu.be/JQVAHTED1X4

Clarkson at one point, and may still, owned a zr1.

rikhek 10-05-2016 10:59 AM

I'm surprised nobody commented on the 911T being 1.5 seconds faster. Doesn't make sense as the Corvette should be faster. A 911T has never been faster than a Z06 in magazine tests. Maybe due to them doing a standing start and the 911T is so much faster 0-60 due to AWD and PDK? I seriously doubt it's due to the fact that they didn't use a Z07. The Z07 will not make up 1.5 seconds.