CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Storm (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3886721-storm.html)

jim spitzer 10-04-2016 05:50 PM

Storm

looks like we may have a big storm coming to florida, Thinking about a safe place to put my 2016 base coupe. I live in a retirement mobile home park. With a carport. My wife said tell the dealer to check it out and make up a service. We have another c-7 in our park and a c-5. Thats it for corvettes.

Babaron 10-04-2016 05:55 PM

That's a great idea. I'd be willing to bet your dealer will let you park all your vettes in their garage if you ask.

JoesC5 10-04-2016 05:56 PM

Do you have a public multi story concrete parking garage in town? Even if it's open, park your Vette on the next to top level, furthest away from the direction the wind will be blowing so that it's covered by the top deck yet high enough off the ground so that flying debris won't hit it.

twilhelm39 10-04-2016 06:16 PM

I'll come get it and keep it for a few months. I do have a heavy right foot. ��

chefcg1 10-04-2016 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1593187372)
Do you have a public multi story concrete parking garage in town? Even if it's open, park your Vette on the next to top level, furthest away from the direction the wind will be blowing so that it's covered by the top deck yet high enough off the ground so that flying debris won't hit it.

That's really good advice and exactly what I did during Hugo when I lived in Charleston. Parked in the parking deck behind the Mills house hotel second to top level up against the wall in the middle of the deck. Car was untouched! Fortunately I was the chef for the hotel at the time and had to stay at the hotel for 2 weeks taking care of guests.

Bob Holinski 10-04-2016 07:00 PM

YIKES! Not fun! We went through hurricane Opal on the gulf coast of Florida in 1995 and they are nothing to be messed with. If you can find a concrete parking garage with multiple levels above ground I'd put my cars as High as I could get them and pray for a low storm surge.

Having gone through Opal and watching a few others that that the southeast (Ivan & Katerina <the Bitch>) we opted to buy our vacation home in Tucson AZ, far away from hurricanes and earthquakes.

Hoping to head south soon to avoid winter and snow.

Play safe and I hope you get through this one unscathed..

:cheers:

Mike Campbell 10-04-2016 07:08 PM

Head for the hills...in northern Florida!

ZMan64 10-04-2016 07:09 PM

Great excuse for a road trip! "Honey, we gotta get the Vette to a safe location like Panama City.":D

DeaconBlue 10-04-2016 07:19 PM

You stated you live in a "retirement mobile home park" and if evacuations a ordered, mobile home parks are the first on the list for mandatory evacuation. Strongly suggest heading to the gulf side of the state. Forecast for a beautiful weekend.
Don't play a hero and ride out a Cat 5 in a mobile home. This is a killer storm and will kill more.

cor66vette 10-04-2016 07:48 PM

An image from a Matthew hurricane satellite photo. Creepy.
Hope everyone comes out of this okay.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...efbb2dffe3.jpg

Red C8 of Jax 10-04-2016 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1593187372)

:iagree::iagree: I would definitely move my car to a safe enclosed structure or a concrete parking garage.

L8ter 10-04-2016 08:30 PM

:iagree: That is one creepy, and wicked smile in that satellite shot.

c6miller 10-04-2016 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Babaron (Post 1593187368)
That's a great idea. I'd be willing to bet your dealer will let you park all your vettes in their garage if you ask.

Good idea, I don't believe they would turn you away. You could also look for an inclosed Target or Mall parking garage where they have security. Find the guard on duty give him a nice tip and your cell number to keep an eye on your Corvette.

spearfish25 10-04-2016 10:15 PM

Friend's house with a garage?

bigblock427 10-05-2016 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by L8ter (Post 1593188283)
:iagree: That is one creepy, and wicked smile in that satellite shot.

:iagree:

Monkey D. Luffy 10-05-2016 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by ZMan64 (Post 1593187785)
Great excuse for a road trip! "Honey, we gotta get the Vette to a safe location like Panama City.":D

:iagree: 100%

defaria 10-05-2016 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by jim spitzer (Post 1593187345)
looks like we may have a big storm coming to florida, Thinking about a safe place to put my 2016 base coupe. I live in a retirement mobile home park. With a carport. My wife said tell the dealer to check it out and make up a service. We have another c-7 in our park and a c-5. Thats it for corvettes.

There's your problem right there. Storms love mobile parks! :ack:

roadbike56 10-05-2016 10:05 AM

And we'll be travelling back from NJ heading to NC just when it hits NJ. Maybe we'll stay an extra day.

$$$frumnuttin' 10-05-2016 10:17 AM

I experienced Wilma, the slowest moving 'cane ever....be aware in your area, traffic lights will not be working, power will be out almost everywhere except hospitals which have their own back up power, gas stations will not be able to pump gas, grocery stores may be closed but you can pick up a lot of essentials at a Walgreens or other drug store. debris will be everywhere and on the roads, Florida Highway Patrol will be directing traffic at intersections and there will be lots of confusion at other intersections....good luck, try to leave a day ahead of the mad rush to avoid ridiculous backups on I75 and such....

L8ter 10-05-2016 10:18 AM

Roadbike,
Maybe a detour west is in order. Interested in seeing the Corvette museum?