CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   perserving gas question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3889522-perserving-gas-question.html)

LT1driver 10-11-2016 12:11 AM

perserving gas question

which is better to perserve gas in car, lawnmower, chainsaws etc., thanks.

seafoam
berryman b-12
sta-bil

tuxnharley 10-11-2016 12:23 AM

I have had success with Stabil. :thumbs:

R66 10-11-2016 12:51 AM

I use Sta-Bil, but find the 4 cycle engines run a little rough until you get the first tank ran out. :iagree:
I like to start the cars once or twice a month even though they are in a heated garage. On nice days, I'll even take them for a short cruise unless there is salt on the road. :thumbs:

wmf62 10-11-2016 03:56 AM

Sta-Bil

Bill

ILBMF 10-11-2016 06:46 AM

I use Sta-bil, the version that's for ethanol tainted gasoline in everything and never have problems.

Nowhere Man 10-11-2016 07:32 AM

I have had great luck using nothing but gas in my tank

corvetteed 10-11-2016 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by R66 (Post 1593229848)
I use Sta-Bil, but find the 4 cycle engines run a little rough until you get the first tank ran out. :iagree:
I like to start the cars once or twice a month even though they are in a heated garage. On nice days, I'll even take them for a short cruise unless there is salt on the road. :thumbs:

:iagree: I've used Sta-Bil, but haven't found that it helps, or hurts, 'stored' gasoline. And, that applied to cars, mowers, etc. But, for the smaller engines, mowers, etc. I typically run them dry, and follow that up w/wiping out the tanks, to ensure the tanks are empty, before winter storage. For the cars, I'll usually start them up monthly, and run them for at least 20 minutes, and try to take them out for a short spin, if the weather permits. I don't use Sta-Bil anymore.

JL66REDCPE 10-11-2016 08:07 AM

I swear by Seafoam for ALL internal combustion engines. I have a power equipment repair business and use it in almost all my repair work. I like it better that Stabil because it also cleans fuel systems. It can also be used in the oil. Stabil is also a very good product however I like Seafoam better.

rfn026 10-11-2016 09:00 AM

I've said this before and gotten torched but the truth is the truth. :)

There is no data to prove that any of this works. The refiners say they have no interest in testing aftermarket additives. The people who produce the additives have never produced any research proving their products actually work.

We're left with anecdotal evidence. It's similar you religious faith. You either believe or you don't. You'll notice the various responses in just this thread. We have a number of believers and a number skeptics.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8ce1c81f7a.jpg

Richard Newton
How Long Does Gasoline Last?

wmf62 10-11-2016 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by rfn026 (Post 1593230925)
I've said this before and gotten torched but the truth is the truth. :)

There is no data to prove that any of this works. The refiners say they have no interest in testing aftermarket additives. The people who produce the additives have never produced any research proving their products actually work.

We're left with anecdotal evidence. It's similar you religious faith. You either believe or you don't. You'll notice the various responses in just this thread. We have a number of believers and a number skeptics.

Richard Newton
[/URL]

as many of us say on the forum, "your results may vary"...

I have had gas sit in an un-started vehicle for periods much longer than 90 days with no apparent damage. am I lucky, maybe....

I also have gas in 5 gal cans for emergency use that may be over a year(s) old; once again, no ill effects when I use it in a lawnmower, etc.. am I lucky, maybe...

but I don't disagree that ethanol is hydroscopic, and I have no clue if 'additives' will cause water to be reabsorbed in gasoline; BUT it should be simple to test the theory.

I seem to remember someone(s), showed a water separation in a clear container. simply adding 'additives' to the separated mix would show what happens short term, and then mixing up and waiting to see if it separates again would show long term effects...

nope, i'm not going to volunteer to do it; but it would clearly show if there are any benefits to these additives.

Bill

71scgc 10-11-2016 10:03 AM

Use pure gasoline, no alcohol. No additives needed.

Carter

Powershift 10-11-2016 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 71scgc (Post 1593231389)

Carter

:iagree: The first choice is no ethanol gas. It will last MUCH longer without issue.

For chainsaws, many instruction books/owners manuals recommend running the saw out of gas before storing.

Otherwise add some Sta-bil.................

Larry

Desert Nomad 10-11-2016 12:08 PM

When I worked oversea's, I stored my car for a year at a time. I used a product called "Fuel Fresh". I put the prescribed amount in and then filled the tank. The following year when I returned, the car started right up. Never had a problem with this product. I think Sta-bil is basically the same. Don't know about Sea Foam or the rest.

redvetracr 10-11-2016 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by 71scgc (Post 1593231389)

Carter

:iagree: find it here (if your lucky), puregas.org

SWCDuke 10-11-2016 12:35 PM

As long as you drive enough to consume at least one tank of fuel per year (including E10) in a car there is no need for any additives. If you store the car during winter months, fill the tank with fresh fuel just prior to winter storage.

For small gas engine equipment, if you are not using it at least once a month, drain the fuel after use and pull the starter cord with the ignition on until you are sure that virtually all of the fuel beyond the tank is consumed.

I also leave the chain saw that I use once or twice a year in the sun for a couple of hours with the fuel cap off to ensure that the slight remaining residual evaporates... never had any fuel system problems.

Duke

4 Speed Dave 10-11-2016 02:17 PM

I don't use anything. All my mowers, trimmers, blowers and other small engine powered both 2 cycle and 4 cycle items that are stored in a shed over the winter start up just fine in the spring. My cars/trucks never sit long enough for gas to go bad in them. I have seen more bad than good come from people using these admixture products.

RatDog 10-11-2016 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Powershift (Post 1593232087)
:iagree: The first choice is no ethanol gas. It will last MUCH longer without issue.

For chainsaws, many instruction books/owners manuals recommend running the saw out of gas before storing.

Otherwise add some Sta-bil.................

Larry

my wife's 2012 Grand Sport was getting "check engine" light warnings for the air/fuel mixture. The service department at the Chevy dealer told her it's because she's not filling her tank with fresh fuel often enough (she only has 6,000 miles on the car) and advised her to either drive the car more or use non-ethanol. No check engine lights since she changed over to non-ethanol.

Anecdotal and not scientific for sure, but this seems to have solved this particular problem for her.

ILBMF 10-12-2016 06:49 AM

It's the ethanol that makes gasoline's shelf life short and causes corrosion.

plaidside 10-12-2016 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1593230478)
I have had great luck using nothing but gas in my tank

:iagree:
I have five cars in my garage and have not used any additives for over 35 years.
Joe

kenba 10-12-2016 11:12 AM

Plain gas will stay for a long time with NO additive. Gas with oil in it for Chainsaws weedeaters ETC need to be dumped after a few months.