CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Possible 24x conversion option for us... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/3889652-possible-24x-conversion-option-for-us.html)

Blueblood85 10-11-2016 10:21 AM

Possible 24x conversion option for us...

http://www.torqhead.com/buy-24xlink-products.html

I have an email into them for the 1992-93 just waiting for a reply. Clicking through the drop down menu's though it does show that they do have kits for the 1994-97 (Y-body too, not just F). If their kit actually works for us and retains full dash function we may just have a winner! Especially since you can purchase as a complete kit including HP Tuners. I'll update this thread once I hear back from them.

I did a search for torqhead on here and found nothing. If anybody has talked with them or used them please chime in.

Blueblood85 10-11-2016 11:04 AM

Now that was a fast response! Below is a direct copy/paste of their email reply...

Hi Sean,

Thanks for touching base.

We are developing a kit for C4 LT1 Corvettes. We hope to include 92/93 cars in the solution as well. They had the early black box PCM, but our solution (new technology) for 94+ C4’s we hope will also work well with the early years.

Currently we have our 1994 Auto C4 LT1 up and running with our conversion (prototype version of our C4 Kit). It works VERY well and all functions remain. This includes all CCM and DIC functions that communicate with PCM, keeping the car stock and factory feeling. Unless someone pointed it out, you would think it still has factory PCM as far as gauges, CCM and drivability are concerned.

We totally agree that there is a thirsty C4 market out there waiting for this conversion to be available that INCLUDES proper functionality of CCM, DIC, fuel functions, mileage functions, FEDS, etc. This is our goal and we are 100% confident we can and already have achieved this goal. We just need a few more months to develop a production version of what we did on our C4. The final kit should feel very plug and play, very clean, and really look like the car came with the LS PCM and ignition system from factory. J. 94+ C4’s will not require a new engine harness, but most likely 92/93 C4’s will due to lack of various connections (MAF Sensor, Bank fire vs sequential injection, etc).

In the next couple weeks we will be posting a video of our C4 with the conversion. We have been so busy that this update has been delayed longer than we would have liked, but we need to get it out there so C4 owners can see how well our C4 kit will integrate, ask questions and have something to look forward to.

If you have any more questions or want to discuss something further let me know and I will be glad to discuss.

Regards, Paul de Boer

Owner/Product Designer

www.torqhead.com

TorqHead LTD

London, Ontario

Canada

dizwiz24 10-11-2016 09:05 PM

as long as you are using an oem optispark - no problem.

if you are using some made in china optispark junk then thats your problem.

yes i understand they arent made anymore find a wrecked vette, caddy/caprice/roadmaster or put an ad in the for sale / parts wanted section here that you are looking for an oem one. there are plenty of dummies who have replaced their working fine oem one with an msd one.

once a vent is added to a 92-94 optispark it becomes perfectly reliable.

STEVEN13 10-11-2016 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 (Post 1593235974)
as long as you are using an oem optispark - no problem.

if you are using some made in china optispark junk then thats your problem.

yes i understand they arent made anymore find a wrecked vette, caddy/caprice/roadmaster or put an ad in the for sale / parts wanted section here that you are looking for an oem one. there are plenty of dummies who have replaced their working fine oem one with an msd one.

once a vent is added to a 92-94 optispark it becomes perfectly reliable.

This does not use any opti spark.

This may give more options for tuning.

To the OP-Thanks for posting!

:cheers:
Steve

kg4fku 10-12-2016 06:24 AM

This opens the door to a lot of tuning options and gets rid of the OPTISPARK at the same time.

Thanks for posting this!!!!

DIZWIZ24 - go ahead and keep buying OPTISPARK's. :thumbs:

I am not throwing my money away on old technology that even GM saw was flawed and a bad design.

I am not going to dig through someone else's trash to find an "OEM" that was removed and hope it still works and going to a junkyard for electronic parts is like playing Russian Roulette with 5 rounds loaded.

bjankuski 10-12-2016 06:37 AM

This does appear to be an interesting option.

TorchTarga94 10-12-2016 08:14 AM

Following this big time. EFI connection doesn't care about LT1 C4's at all it appears through my conversations with them. This is great news.

armysnipe 10-12-2016 05:49 PM

Subscribed��

qwiketz 10-13-2016 12:58 AM

I reached out to them to suggest dumping the batch fire of the 92/93 if possible and also try to add an option for electronic transmission control (versus just lockup on the 92/93's.

If they did that, then that would free up $$$ to do the conversion for people like me that are currently using a stanalone trans controller. But thhat would also take adding a trans harness of some sort.

rklessdriver 10-13-2016 02:38 PM

I really like how this conversion is laid out with the 24x reluctor ring on the back of the balancer.

Very clean set up like an aftermarket crank trigger.

Of course availability of a suitable harness for the 92-93 cars will the the go/no-go for many people.
Will

STEVEN13 10-14-2016 06:01 PM

Posted with permission from Paul

Read from the bottom up (Sorry)

Hi Steve,

Definitely sequential injection, LS PCM, and coil per plug ignition system are going to ensure you have great success with your pro-charger install.

The 6 Rib with 8 Rib will still work with our kit. Essentially ATI put the one set of ribs where the corvette balancer was just smooth. I have checked how they did their setup and it will definitely work with our kit. I have some guys who take the same setup and move it to a B-Body car with accessory bracket swap, etc.

Feel free to post the information I have shared to the corvette forum. I typed it quick and fast, but its good for people to know what we are working on. Let them know about the Torqhead Facebook page, we post most updates there. We are VERY excited to get the Corvette kit out as soon as we can.

I have owed an update on our 94’ C4 Auto Corvette for a while now (time constraints). It’s a 100% working prototype of our kit and looks/performs great. All dash functions work and CCM is happy. If I didn’t pop the hood you wouldn’t know there wasn’t an optispark and that a LS PCM/Coils were in control. The only giveaway would be when I went to hookup HPTuners to tune it. Oh and it starts in a split second vs the old opti and LT Computer.

Many of the parts involved and kit in general will be similar to our F-Body and B-Body kits, but there is a couple new pieces of tech required for the C4 to handle its very unique requirements.

Regards, Paul

Owner/Product Designer

Torqhead LTD

Sent: Friday, October 14, 2016 2:38 PM
To: Paul de Boer
Subject: Re: 1992 Corvette

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the response!

I will wait and see how you come along with the system for my year (1992 with Batch Injection). I have a ProCharger to install and your system may make it easier to tune. Also I have an ATI damper with 2 sets of grooves 1 6 rib and 1 8 rib for the ProCharger. I mention this because the damper may not work with the external reluctor wheel in your kit.

With your permission-Can I post this on the Corvette Forum?

Regards,

Steve

Sent: Friday, October 14, 2016 2:15 PM

To: 'Steve

Subject: RE: 1992 Corvette

Hi Steve,

We are working on a kit for C4 LT1 Corvettes. It is not quite ready for sale but we hope later this fall to have it close. Currently we have our 1994 Auto C4 Corvette up and running all systems functional.

You mention that you do not need various systems, this can help the cause, but will still require some work on your part to get everything operational….If I was to sell you one of our current kits.

You would also need to think about a way to convert the car to sequential injection since currently the 92/93 LT1 engines like yours are bank fire injection.

Our C4 Production kit, once complete, will take care of all these aspects in a very plug and play trouble-free kit. All gauges will also work, which is a big plus.

Until we have our kit finished, I could sell you all the parts required…..but cannot guarantee it will work due to the complexities of the C4 and you would also need to do a fair bit of wiring. If you are not afraid of this, we can definitely discuss further.

Regards, Paul

Owner/Product Designer

Torqhead LTD

To: sales@torqhead.com
Subject: 1992 Corvette

Hello, Can this work on a 1992 Corvette with a 6-Speed? My car has no ASR/ABS or A/C. I do not need the fuel readout to work or cruise.

aboatguy 10-14-2016 07:16 PM

Too bad this wasn't out earlier. It looks great and I truly hope it delivers as promised!

Mike

Blueblood85 10-16-2016 03:43 PM

I just got my '92 vert, and i bought it with the intentions of building it...I'm in no way a "purist". I believe in building what you want, and driving it. This is my 2nd vehicle with that dam optijunk and I'm sorry but I HATE it! Sure it can work, but everyone knows it will fail....and boy does it suck to replace. Not to mention GM should be slapped for making a stinking tune-up such a pain!

I like the 24x option for the obvious reason of ditching that dam opti. But even more so for the tunability. If I stay LTx based it'll be built well beyond what's practical with chips (ie stroker, turbo, possibly e85).

But I'm also researching the ls swaps so who knows lol...

STEVEN13 10-17-2016 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Blueblood85 (Post 1593266767)
I just got my '92 vert, and i bought it with the intentions of building it...I'm in no way a "purist". I believe in building what you want, and driving it. This is my 2nd vehicle with that dam optijunk and I'm sorry but I HATE it! Sure it can work, but everyone knows it will fail....and boy does it suck to replace. Not to mention GM should be slapped for making a stinking tune-up such a pain!

I like the 24x option for the obvious reason of ditching that dam opti. But even more so for the tunability. If I stay LTx based it'll be built well beyond what's practical with chips (ie stroker, turbo, possibly e85).

But I'm also researching the ls swaps so who knows lol...

The only reason I would consider the 24x system is due to a pending procharger install. After researching-It looks like to tune with a batch injection system will be a challenge especially with e85. If I don't install it-I am keeping the optispark. From my experience it works fine.

Steve:cheers:

Blueblood85 10-17-2016 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by STEVEN13 (Post 1593270183)
The only reason I would consider the 24x system is due to a pending procharger install. After researching-It looks like to tune with a batch injection system will be a challenge especially with e85. If I don't install it-I am keeping the optispark. From my experience it works fine.

Steve:cheers:

True, if a person plans to stay stock to mild the opti will do a fine job....when working correctly. I'll be the first to admit that a true coil on plug conversion isn't for everyone...but neither is the optispark.:thumbs:

THE 383 admiral 10-17-2016 10:16 PM

Thank you! This 24X conversion looks great. NO opti. and i may be learning HP tuners. sooner than i thought.

THE 383 admiral 04-12-2017 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral (Post 1593276213)
Thank you! This 24X conversion looks great. NO opti. and i may be learning HP tuners. sooner than i thought.

I have tuning perfected on the 94- 95 PCM EE platform. but, looks like I will convert to OBD II and eliminate the Opti..

update from gearhead. JFYI

Hi Stuart,

Our 1994+ C4 LT1 Kit will be coming out next month in May. Gearing up final part design and inventory now. So you are getting into this conversion with us just at the right time. We have A LOT of interest from Corvette LT1 owners the past year.

The kit will be VERY plug and play and keep your LCD gauge display active via CCM to PCM module communication. Something we have been working on for nearly a year now, but the fruits of our labor have created an amazing kit for 1994-1996 C4’s.

Regards, Paul

Owner/Product Designer

TorqHead Side Logo Blues Medium

www.torqhead.com

DVNCI 04-14-2017 08:28 AM

I have the EFI Connection kit on my 96', though all of my factory gauges, etc are long gone - this kit looks interesting.

I agree that EFI Connection missed a gigantic opportunity here by effectively ignoring the Corvette crowd.

A95Y 05-06-2017 01:42 AM

Saw one of these on a Camaro engine at the machine shop today. It looks nice and tidy. There is a chat window on their website. You can talk to the owner. The Y-body should be ready in a couple of weeks.

RicardoG 05-07-2017 11:59 AM

I am going for this conversion as soon as it is availiable.

RG