CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Comp Gray painted rims, need help matching (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3897278-comp-gray-painted-rims-need-help-matching.html)

MUKAK 10-28-2016 11:34 AM

Comp Gray painted rims, need help matching

i have a extra split spoke C6Z06 wheels that need to be refinished and i would like to paint them myself in COMP GRAY color

i dont have access to a paint booth or compressor so i will try to paint them with a spray can to see how it looks

is there a spray can that comes close to GM COMP GRAY color/texture? is so which brand and where do i buy some?

i am sure fellow CF members have done this, please post some pics of the finished product

1968swbbigblock 10-28-2016 12:05 PM

I have tried about 7 different gray colors out of the can and they don't match well at all.
Consider buying some custom mixed paint and buying the bottles with aresol charges on the cap as an option.

CadVette 10-28-2016 12:39 PM

Duplicolor T183 in a spray can from Advance Auto. Amother code is WA9243 or GM396.
Make sure you prep the surface properly. I used the red Scotchbrite pads for sanding. Followed by water, then enamel reducer for cleaning. Then a tack cloth to remove any lint or dust from the surface. Glide the tack cloth over the surface and don't press too hard. Wait ten to twenty minutes between coats depending on room temperature. Use the clear coat after base coat once the base coat looks covered properly. When spraying the clear coat on apply until it looks wet but not too much to avoid runs. I did this for my headlights when I replaced the lenses and it turned out great.

CadVette 10-28-2016 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by CadVette (Post 1593348892)
Duplicolor T183 in a spray can from Advance Auto. Amother code is WA9243 or GM396.
Make sure you prep the surface properly. I used the red Scotchbrite pads for sanding. Followed by water, then enamel reducer for cleaning. Then a tack cloth to remove any lint or dust from the surface. Glide the tack cloth over the surface and don't press too hard. Wait ten to twenty minutes between coats depending on room temperature. Use the clear coat after base coat once the base coat looks covered properly. When spraying the clear coat on apply until it looks wet but not too much to avoid runs. I did this for my headlights when I replaced the lenses and it turned out great.

Correction. Use wax and grease remover for cleaning instead of enamel reducer.

rado63 10-29-2016 01:01 PM

I guess you want to do this yourself, but I would ask a local wheel refurbishing shop to spray them for you. I would double check this to make sure these numbers are right, but I believe the competition grey is paint code 87 or GM code WA9243.

GOLD72 12-03-2016 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by CadVette (Post 1593348892)

Found out today from local O'Reilly clerk that Duplicolor changed up their codes a year or so ago. GM396 is not in the current catalog. Didn't find it at autozone either. It was reported here 5 years ago that GM396 was a perfect or near perfect match for WA9243. I have a couple of unsightly rock chips on RR ZR1 wheel. I need to find a liquid brush bottle alternative.

GOLD72 12-03-2016 08:58 PM

I found two separate posts claiming the following are perfect matches for Competition Gray wheel paint:
Duplicolor BGM0534 which is Gray Mica
Duplicolor BGM0536 which is Gunmetal Mica
They can't both be right IMHO. I guess I am going to have to find a store with both in stock and drive the ZR1 there for an actual color cap comparison.

outhouse 12-04-2016 01:07 AM

Biggest problem with rattle cans is the spray is often to thick and the tire needs to be elevated so all the extra spray dust does not come back up through the wheel sticking all over the wet paint.

You can get a professional finish.

This below was not even color sanded or buffed/polished.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6dbd0e6564.jpg

GOLD72 12-05-2016 01:00 PM

I found this supplier online with WA9243 available in brush-on liquid bottles:

http://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up...at-WA9243.html