CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Why do C7 Z06's pull to the right violently when breaking loose...WTF (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3897533-why-do-c7-z06s-pull-to-the-right-violently-when-breaking-loose-wtf.html)

RussC243 10-28-2016 07:11 PM

Why do C7 Z06's pull to the right violently when breaking loose...WTF

Saw lots of videos/threads of people wrecking their new z06's so I am being careful. After my 500 mile oil change I got on it about 10 times today in 1, 2 and 3rd. Never rung it out as I will hold off on that untill about 2k miles.

In 1st the wheels break loose and the car just slides along straight as expected. In 2nd and 3rd, it violently jerks to the right. I let off it right way and the car jerks straight again.

My old supercharged c4 broke loose in 1st, 2nd and 3rd and I could floor it as much as I wanted and it continued to track straight while the wheels were slipping. It would get squirrelly at the top of 3rd at 100 mph but I could just correct with steering and stay on it. Done it a million times with the c4.

The c7 is asking to wrap itself around a tree. I am in touring mode it that matters

This is not right!!

Edit: I was on an empty private road.

spearfish25 10-28-2016 07:14 PM

Check your alignment. Mine doesn't do that.

davepl 10-28-2016 07:27 PM

The Snap Oversteer Monster will be along shortly to blame rear caster. Maybe it's even true - but do people who get that "fixed" no long have to worry about the rear end coming around? I'd pay for an alignment if I believed it made the car more stable in street scenarios (I have had no issues on the track, so maybe my car is randomly set up properly from the factory).

Why would the gear make a difference as to why the rear end steps out? Any theories? That part strikes me as odd, and I can't say I've experienced the same.

RussC243 10-28-2016 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1 (Post 1593352288)
The Snap Oversteer Monster will be along shortly to blame rear caster. Maybe it's even true - but do people who get that "fixed" no long have to worry about the rear end coming around? I'd pay for an alignment if I believed it made the car more stable in street scenarios (I have had no issues on the track, so maybe my car is randomly set up properly from the factory).

Why would the gear make a difference as to why the rear end steps out? Any theories? That part strikes me as odd, and I can't say I've experienced the same.

I did have a theory on that actually. In 1st, once they break loose they both spin so much that there is no traction on either wheel. In 2nd and third one wheel is still gripping.... With the c4 I always felt the wheels slipping together. Maybe the electronic diff has something to do with it.

Niemienator 10-28-2016 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by RussC243 (Post 1593352346)
I did have a theory on that actually. In 1st, once they break loose they both spin so much that there is no traction on either wheel. In 2nd and third one wheel is still gripping.... With the c4 I always felt the wheels slipping together. Maybe the electronic diff has something to do with it.

I would agree with this theory. My ZL1 did the same but always tended to turn or float to the left under hard throttle with wheel spin.

Regardless, I strongly recommend you get a good feel for the split second you have before the car goes to potentially violently out of control - the other lane, ditch.... Shift, back out of it and don't end on YouTube.

Bad Dad 10-28-2016 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by RussC243 (Post 1593352187)
Saw lots of videos/threads of people wrecking their new z06's so I am being careful. After my 500 mile oil change I got on it about 10 times today in 1, 2 and 3rd. Never rung it out as I will hold off on that untill about 2k miles.

In 1st the wheels break loose and the car just slides along straight as expected. In 2nd and 3rd, it violently jerks to the right. I let off it right way and the car jerks straight again.

My old supercharged c4 broke loose in 1st, 2nd and 3rd and I could floor it as much as I wanted and it continued to track straight while the wheels were slipping. It would get squirrelly at the top of 3rd at 100 mph but I could just correct with steering and stay on it. Done it a million times with the c4.

The c7 is asking to wrap itself around a tree. I am in touring mode it that matters

This is not right!!

Edit: I was on an empty private road.

Maybe lack of control ?

thebishman 10-28-2016 09:10 PM

Alignment check ASAP

jaden61 10-28-2016 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bad Dad (Post 1593352935)
Maybe lack of control ?

Had a little scare with mine a 2 weeks ago. Slight throttle input at the same time I hit the hydroplane puddle at 65mph on the freeway. All of the sudden looking left looking at center wall, eased it back with a quick whip and sliding 2 lanes toward the rear wheels of the 18 wheeler's trailer, to the fishtail correction finally. No skill, just pure luck. No poop, very happy today. used weather mode on the rest of ride home.

feeder82 10-28-2016 10:07 PM

your c4 didn't have over 500 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheels :rofl:

gatti-man 10-28-2016 10:55 PM

My c6z has 550 at the wheels NA and it doesn't slide right. Powers right through wheel spin straight ahead. Non run flat super sports, stock suspension.

Bill Dearborn 10-28-2016 11:21 PM

When both rear wheels are spinning they have no lateral traction and the back end of the car will go in whatever direction the physics of the surface dictate. If you are on a crowned surface with the car on the right side of the crown the back end will go right, if you are on the left side it will go left. There can be other things on the surface or part of it that can affect which way the back end goes.

If you are on a low grip surface it can be possible to have the back end swing back and forth like a pendulum as the driver countersteers.

Bill

Greg00Coupe 10-29-2016 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1593353793)
When both rear wheels are spinning they have no lateral traction and the back end of the car will go in whatever direction the physics of the surface dictate. If you are on a crowned surface with the car on the right side of the crown the back end will go right, if you are on the left side it will go left. There can be other things on the surface or part of it that can affect which way the back end goes.

If you are on a low grip surface it can be possible to have the back end swing back and forth like a pendulum as the driver countersteers.

Bill

I'd agree with this. However I've been on numerous surfaces and it always breaks right. I've learned to expect it. If it broke left I'd probably crash or keel over due to shock

RussC243 10-29-2016 03:37 AM

Lots of great answers. Thanks! Will study up on how alignment comes into play. I always only considered alignment when my daily drivers would not track straight hands off the wheel or the tire guy talks me into a badly needed alignment.
Don't really care to use more than about 200hp 99.9% of the time. Got the z over the base because I like fine machines but I do like to understand them and have them set up right. Sunny today...can't wait to try out the stack of new microfiber towels and wax.

marc0779 10-29-2016 07:00 AM

Rear alighnment

If you only drive the car on the street have your rear camber adjusted to zero or as close as you can get it will more than double your traction in a straight line and you will double the life of the tires.

MindBend 10-29-2016 08:32 AM

It happens even on $200K AMG's when drivers run out of talent. :eek:
I was leaving a local cars and coffee event couple weeks ago and some dude captured this as I was leaving. I left gentlemanly, in order to try to troll in the GT to follow me for some "fun", but he turned the other way... check out the results. :ack:

Sorry....the stupid YouTube embed function REFUSES to work. :smash:

MindBend 10-29-2016 08:33 AM

As a follow-up, this is how the Z crowd rolls (or should!) :cheers::flag:

bondo55 10-29-2016 10:37 PM

I can relate. I can run the car hard at roadcourse trackdays with no issues at all.

But when on the getting on a freeway on ramp, the e-diff seams to hunt for traction between the left and right tires at times on uneven surfaces. A very different feel vs a normal "posi" limited slip diff.

rikhek 10-29-2016 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by thebishman (Post 1593352939)
Alignment check ASAP

Originally Posted by RussC243 (Post 1593354374)
Lots of great answers. Thanks! Will study up on how alignment comes into play. I always only considered alignment when my daily drivers would not track straight hands off the wheel or the tire guy talks me into a badly needed alignment.
Don't really care to use more than about 200hp 99.9% of the time. Got the z over the base because I like fine machines but I do like to understand them and have them set up right. Sunny today...can't wait to try out the stack of new microfiber towels and wax.

Originally Posted by marc0779 (Post 1593354573)
If you only drive the car on the street have your rear camber adjusted to zero or as close as you can get it will more than double your traction in a straight line and you will double the life of the tires.

DAVE396LT1, great idea isn't it? :rofl:

tail_lights 10-30-2016 01:30 AM

I can relate. My first Z ended up in a ditch :( I am more scared of this car than my old C5 that was making over 700 RWHP and I only ran Bridgestone all season 275 tires on that :eek: At least when that car spun it would track straight. Not sure if it is an alignment or a E-LSD issue but there is an issue for sure.

omar510 10-30-2016 01:58 AM

In my opinion it's because in 1st gear you have no traction all due to torque multiplication. 2nd and 3rd the gear tires start to gain traction due to less torque multiplication. This coupled with the fact that the tires can now spin up to 93 mph in 2nd and 124 mph in 3rd so whatever instantaneous traction the tires do catch thrust the car harder and further. With one tire gripping it makes the car yaw to either side.