CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Events (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events-97/)
-   -   C6Z @ Mosport Question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events/3899481-c6z-mosport-question.html)

anth115 11-02-2016 02:25 PM

C6Z @ Mosport Question

Hey everyone,

I'm about to store my 2006 C6Z for the winter and plan to run it at Mosport GP track in the spring, with BMWCCA (just HPDE schools, nothing competitive).

To help insure against oil starvation, I purchased the aviaid oil baffle. I know most guys pair this with the LPE 9qt tank, but I am wondering if I should be fine running Mosport with the baffle in the stock 8qt tank (running on PSS tires, no R comps).

My reason for trying to avoid the big tank is because the car already takes a long time to get up to operating temp on the street (also have 160* tstat) so I feel that the big tank would add to this. And the FX rate is bad so I'd rather put those funds elsewhere. Also want to add that I only plan on doing 3 HPDE weekends per year, which is another reason that I'm hesitant to make changes that are only helpful in this limited amount of driving time.

So in short, does anyone have experience running the 8qt tank with just the baffle at Mosport? Do you think I should be okay in doing so, or strongly recommend I pony up for the big tank as well?

Thanks
Anthony

MOSPORT1 11-02-2016 07:49 PM

I had the aviaid set up in my Z and no issues but that said,,,
I don't know what your track experience is but if you are
only pushing the car to 8/10s of its performance I think you
will be ok,,
I'm sure some of the other track rats will chime in with
their suggestions,,(if they even come on CF anymore!)

anth115 11-02-2016 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by MOSPORT1 (Post 1593385031)
I had the aviaid set up in my Z and no issues but that said,,,
I don't know what your track experience is but if you are
only pushing the car to 8/10s of its performance I think you
will be ok,,
I'm sure some of the other track rats will chime in with
their suggestions,,(if they even come on CF anymore!)

thanks for the reply. I've only done 7 track Days in my e46 m3; never in the z06 so far, so I think 8/10th is a fair estimate.

Do you have the oil pan baffle in addition to the sump baffle, or just the sump baffle? Just want to clarify.

Brian71 11-02-2016 11:05 PM

I have an 07 Z06. I track it 2-5 times a year. I mainly do PCA (Porsche club) DE's where I instruct.
My car is stock except for a K/N filter that came with the car. I had the valve guides and rockers replaced this past May by Dave Stevenson's in Port Perry (good guy).
I was told as long as you aren't using track tires you should be fine. It depends how hard you are going to drive.
I've been thinking about the same upgrade.

anth115 11-04-2016 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Brian71 (Post 1593386300)
I have an 07 Z06. I track it 2-5 times a year. I mainly do PCA (Porsche club) DE's where I instruct.
My car is stock except for a K/N filter that came with the car. I had the valve guides and rockers replaced this past May by Dave Stevenson's in Port Perry (good guy).
I was told as long as you aren't using track tires you should be fine. It depends how hard you are going to drive.
I've been thinking about the same upgrade.

Thanks. Can you comment on what tires you're using and approximate laptimes, to get a sense of how hard the car is being worked? It is good to hear that you've had no issues in running it stock.

A friend who works for one of the local Chevy dealers has seen quite a few LS7s blown at Mosport, and even this forum has a few examples... hence my worry. I will definitely run the Aviaid baffle since I already have it; just wondering if I should bother with the LPE tank at the same time.

It is safer to do so but having to spend the first 20-30 mins of each drive just warming all that oil doesn't sound fun, or cheap...

CanadianVetster 11-04-2016 03:37 PM

I ran my '07 Z06 with the baffle and never had an issue.
Used R comp. tires and ran around 136-138's

Originally Posted by anth115 (Post 1593397231)
Thanks. Can you comment on what tires you're using and approximate laptimes, to get a sense of how hard the car is being worked? It is good to hear that you've had no issues in running it stock.

A friend who works for one of the local Chevy dealers has seen quite a few LS7s blown at Mosport, and even this forum has a few examples... hence my worry. I will definitely run the Aviaid baffle since I already have it; just wondering if I should bother with the LPE tank at the same time.

It is safer to do so but having to spend the first 20-30 mins of each drive just warming all that oil doesn't sound fun, or cheap...

Brian71 11-06-2016 04:25 PM

I have stock Michelin Pilot Super Sports (non run flat). I've never taken a lap time nor do I really push the car.

AlloyGT 12-05-2016 05:00 PM

Call Dave Stevenson at 905 982 0825 as lots of track vettes go to his shop and he has tons of experience with this subject. Also consider that GM did go with a bigger tank eventually, so there is merit to it no doubt - IMO anyway.

66L72 12-10-2016 12:21 AM

For certain you want to install the bigger tank. I blew my motor from oil starvation on OEM Goodyear rubber. Wasn't even pushing it that hard.

I use LPE tank and Aviad tank baffle and later installed a pan baffle. A cheap and easy install and A lot cheaper than a new LS7.

Dave Stevenson does all the work on my car. He is excellent and reasonably priced.

Come to the Glen with us in April!
:cheers: