CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   Supercharger belt life? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/3913650-supercharger-belt-life.html)

Forcedvert 12-03-2016 08:04 PM

Supercharger belt life?

My car has been on the road for a while with the new motor and trans. with no real problems. Today when out for some cruzin around, about three hours with a one hour break in the middle, my car lost a bit of acceleration up top, not pulling strong. I did not immediately look at boost as I was concentrating on the road. I pushed it a few more times in the open and noticed the boost stuck around 8 to 9psi. It's a A&A V3 SI with a 3.4 pulley on a regular drive pulley, I seem to remember it going to around 12psi but I rarely look at it as I'm watching the road.

Is this what belt slip looks and feels like?
How often should the belt be changed, miles and time, I drive it pretty hard when I'm in it.

Thanks Adam

I know the info is probably available if I search but the search function really leaves a lot to be desired. Plus I have not posted in this section in a while and you guys have always been very helpful and quick to answer.:)

romandian 12-04-2016 12:57 AM

you might take off the belt and measure the ribs against a new one (put a rod in the groove and measure height). then again you could put the new one on and see how it is. you should be logging to really see what happening. many times iv had an "impression" that turned out wrong. also the boost gauges are far from being precision instruments. i do not trust them to more than +/- 2 psi. take it off, its dangerous.

Forcedvert 12-06-2016 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by romandian (Post 1593595290)
you might take off the belt and measure the ribs against a new one (put a rod in the groove and measure height). then again you could put the new one on and see how it is. you should be logging to really see what happening. many times iv had an "impression" that turned out wrong. also the boost gauges are far from being precision instruments. i do not trust them to more than +/- 2 psi. take it off, its dangerous.

Thanks for reply, I was looking for a guide on how long guys run these belts. It still looks good. I did take car out again after it cooled down and seemed fine so I think it may be belt slip when hotter. I got no way to log at this time, but think a belt chance is in order.

Quickshift_C5 12-06-2016 09:19 PM

I've been going through a belt per season, due to squealing that develops. I don't drive the car much either, about 3,000-5,000mi per year.

It may be due to a bad tensioner. This will be the 3rd belt I've installed and I'll be replacing the tensioner this time with it.

Forcedvert 12-06-2016 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5 (Post 1593613185)
I've been going through a belt per season, due to squealing that develops. I don't drive the car much either, about 3,000-5,000mi per year.

It may be due to a bad tensioner. This will be the 3rd belt I've installed and I'll be replacing the tensioner this time with it.

I probably have three times that many miles, I drive it a lot on weekends.
So I guess I'm doing pretty good.

Quickshift_C5 12-06-2016 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Forcedvert (Post 1593613280)
I probably have three times that many miles, I drive it a lot on weekends.
So I guess I'm doing pretty good.

Seems fine to me. Hopefully some others will chime in with their experience. Pretty sure my issues are just a bad tensioner. :thumbs: