CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   The Latest Scam (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3917623-the-latest-scam.html)

randy ransome 12-13-2016 05:13 PM

The Latest Scam

I saw this ad and for the hell of it I inquired.

Here's her reply
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...pseqvmxp0h.png

:flag:

Brian VH McHale 12-13-2016 05:24 PM

Thanks I may have fell for that. :cheers:

Originally Posted by randy ransome (Post 1593656159)

Here's her reply

Hollywoodheroes 12-13-2016 05:33 PM

Hey -

I'm late to the party on this.. but who is this???

The reason I ask, is that I purchased my vintage Mustang this summer from a guy in Paterson NY. He and his wife sold them together.

He was a good guy, and the car I got was rock solid and is wonderful.

The mustang was originally owned by the wifes brother, who sent it up to them to sell.

Just curious... can you point me to more information?

Jordan

GTOguy 12-13-2016 05:43 PM

You never know. 5 years ago there was a $3000 1909 Model T Ford on ebay for sale. We all bashed it on the forum. Would have looked at it myself, as a doubter, but it was across the country. Guy on the forum bought it anyway, and it turned out to be the real deal....worth 30k or so in the condition it was sold. He did alright....

aafadca 12-13-2016 05:49 PM

I can't pull up the pictures or ad but if it's silver, it was advertised in the local paper in NC a few weeks ago. My cousin told me about it and I told him it was a scam without seeing the ad. I found it later and called just out of curiosity. Of course no answer.. In fact I got a text message just the other day saying the car was still for sale. It was his sister's and I could email her etc. I texted back and basically said if I couldn't talk to someone then no thanks. So yeah, its a scam.

Mike Terry 12-13-2016 06:00 PM

Re read it there are a lot of things that tell you it is a SCAM. All the use of Mr. how many wives know what a Protect O Plate is or a 4 speed manual transmission or the cubic inch and Hp of a motor or I will pay the first 500 miles for the shipping and she wants to make some one as happy as the car made her and him, (Bull Shit) a lady who's hubby just died wants the money and get that dam car out of the garage but she would check and see what the going price of it is before pricing it so low. She would be out to get all the money she could rather then let another couple have as much fun in it as her and her dead hubby had. There are plenty of signs to show it is a SCAM you just have to read the artical and think about what you are reading. :yesnod: People will try anything.

prestige6 12-13-2016 06:18 PM

66 vette

Originally Posted by randy ransome (Post 1593656159)

Here's her reply

Get the address in Patterson N.Y. and I'll go check it out. I live near there.

Get the address in Patterson N.Y. and I'll go check it out. I live near there

randy ransome 12-13-2016 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by prestige6 (Post 1593656641)
Get the address in Patterson N.Y. and I'll go check it out. I live near there

I've text her back, again, for the hell of it. If I get an address I'll pass it on to you.

Mike Smith 12-13-2016 06:50 PM

Old scam that has been discussed here before.

Twan Sloot 12-13-2016 06:54 PM

Well if this isn't a scam I will fly across the pond today! But this definitely is a scam.

Exciting how this will end:lurk:

Canuck62 12-13-2016 07:16 PM

I would think if they are willing to ship for free,,,, tell them you will do business when shipper hands over car and keys along with ownership and signed bill of sale
reply you might get is they wont ship until payment received

MikeM 12-13-2016 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Terry (Post 1593656542)
Re read it there are a lot of things that tell you it is a SCAM. All the use of Mr. how many wives know what a Protect O Plate is or a 4 speed manual transmission or the cubic inch and Hp of a motor or I will pay the first 500 miles for the shipping and she wants to make some one as happy as the car made her and him, (Bull Shit) a lady who's hubby just died wants the money and get that dam car out of the garage but she would check and see what the going price of it is before pricing it so low. She would be out to get all the money she could rather then let another couple have as much fun in it as her and her dead hubby had. There are plenty of signs to show it is a SCAM you just have to read the artical and think about what you are reading. :yesnod: People will try anything.

My first thoughts exactly as I STARTED to read.

Mike Terry 12-13-2016 08:01 PM

I have called on a few that I know were Scams and I always try to have them tell me the town they live in or where the car is. Then I tell them that that is great My brother or I have a very close friend who is a cop or FBI or US Marshal and he knows Corvettes I will just call him and have him come by and look at it for me then he can go ahead and run the Vin # just to make sure it car is clean and if it checks out OK I will just have him give you a big deposit on the car. Funny Funny Funny I have never gotten an address or they will hang up on you or they have some excuse that they are or will be out of town for a long time and then the ad is like that movie GONE WITH THE WIND. :yesnod: Yeap the FBI or COP or US MARSHAL makes them think twice about messing with you over the car. :lol: :cheers: :rock:

Railroadman 12-13-2016 11:49 PM

One indication that it may be a scam (there are MANY) is the owner just happens to be out of town from where the car is. It's always something - deployed in the military, or on a fishing boat, or working on an oil rig, or a missionary in Africa.....they never say "I'm sitting here with the car and paperwork any time you want to arrange to inspect it."

capevettes 12-14-2016 08:34 AM

[QUOTE=randy ransome;1593656750]I've text her back, again, for the hell of it. If I get an address I'll pass it on to you.

I received an almost identical response when I made an inquiry on a similar car. As soon as you request an address and tell them you or your agent will come and inspect it, the correspondence will end.

Railroadman 12-14-2016 08:58 AM

What happens when you just generically say "Man, I like that car and that price, I want it!"? I presume what they want is a sizable deposit? Or is it the shipping charges they are angling for? They have to have SOME method to separate the suckers from their money.

Frankie the Fink 12-14-2016 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Railroadman (Post 1593659818)
What happens when you just generically say "Man, I like that car and that price, I want it!"? I presume what they want is a sizable deposit? Or is it the shipping charges they are angling for? They have to have SOME method to separate the suckers from their money.

Or even the FULL price.

That's usually the method. There was a thread on here a few years back where some new excited owner was actually EN ROUTE to pick up a project '65 IIRC and had direct wired $8,700 to the seller....he found out right here on the forum, in mid-trip, it was a well-known scam by a disreputable criminal......I think this scammer got ANOTHER $8,700 from a member within a few days.

Nice paydays - for nothing...bastard...

Frankie the Fink 12-14-2016 09:14 AM

The formula for avoiding this is pretty simple; compare the market value of what is offered, to the price asked, to the willingness of the owner to have it physically examined thoroughly including proof of legitimate ownership.

This works for ANYthing - not just cars....if the three factors don't line up...drop it.

Railroadman 12-14-2016 09:36 AM

Well said, Frankie! Sometimes folks get so excited about getting a great car at a great price that they turn off their common sense.

Take this one for example. Unless they lived in a cave (with no place to drive the Vette), the alleged woman and her husband certainly had friends, neighbors and relatives who would have seen the car and known how much it meant to him. It seems very odd that she'd place an ad and sell it to a stranger, at a cheap price, rather than see it go to a nephew, golf buddy, or someone else who would just love to have the car to remind them of Dear Old Charlie.

That in itself may not totally prove a scam, but it's certainly a red flag to anyone with their thinker working.

randy ransome 12-14-2016 11:44 PM

Here's the latest correspondence about the Scam.
I guess some people fall for this or they wouldn't keep doing it.
I like to mess with the people doing it.

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...pso4t0int7.png