CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   How to shift automatic transmission to neutral with dead battery (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3919578-how-to-shift-automatic-transmission-to-neutral-with-dead-battery.html)

AirStingray 12-18-2016 04:10 PM

How to shift automatic transmission to neutral with dead battery

Does anyone know where the override button is to shift an A6 transmission into Neutral with a dead battery?? Also, jumping the battery is not an option for me as the vehicle will not start cause of missing components.

RicK T 12-18-2016 04:53 PM

There is no manual / mechanical override. If there is zero electrical power you will have to take the console off and manually disengage the shift lock.

Just for reference, this is the procedure if there is enough battery power:

Thanks to xp800 for listing this:

You need to get the car into service mode:

1. Foot OFF the brake
2. Press and HOLD Start button for ~8-10 seconds
3. Lights and chimes will sound and it will be just like the "old days" of key two clicks
forward in the On/Run position
4. Release Start button
5. Press brake and shift into Neutral
6. When done, move back to Park and press Start (no foot on brake) to get out of the
service mode (if you don't do this the car will stay on until the battery runs out)

Rooster OG 12-18-2016 04:55 PM

That's a good question. I found some stuff on the c6, I have no idea if this pertains to the c7 though:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590331026

There's gotta be a way, good luck!

corvette-22 12-18-2016 05:50 PM

Thats stupid even my Minivan has a little door with a release button inside.

jerho 12-20-2016 11:57 AM

Simple, get under the rear and remove the 10mm nut from the shift lever on side of trans and push the lever two clicks forward to neutral. Best way that I've found. Good luck.

AirStingray 12-21-2016 04:51 AM

Well for everyone wondering, I have finally found override button by the shifter. It's on the left side and it's the middle hole. You just need the right tool to squeeze in there

Frodo 12-21-2016 05:26 AM

Thanks for finding that out. I didn't think GM would design it without taking that into consideration. I'm also thinking my A8 is the same.

Now, where exactly is this hole? Got a picture? Thanks.

BKorsaire 08-25-2018 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by RicK T (Post 1593688100)
There is no manual / mechanical override. If there is zero electrical power you will have to take the console off and manually disengage the shift lock.

Just for reference, this is the procedure if there is enough battery power:

Thanks to xp800 for listing this:

You need to get the car into service mode:

1. Foot OFF the brake
2. Press and HOLD Start button for ~8-10 seconds
3. Lights and chimes will sound and it will be just like the "old days" of key two clicks
forward in the On/Run position
4. Release Start button
5. Press brake and shift into Neutral
6. When done, move back to Park and press Start (no foot on brake) to get out of the
service mode (if you don't do this the car will stay on until the battery runs out)

Thank you Rick, merci beaucoup, infiniment !!!

I was very worried because I have an A8, coming from your country, the USA and I wanted to apply the procedure pages 218 and 219 to go from P to N or other without starting : it does not work ! I tried ten times at least. My weekend was already ruined, Vador (its nickname) is new and I look here if someone had this misadventure and I come across this thread first, I read you, I apply your procedure and...it works !

Great, thanks, super, guy ! :cheers:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f91b1b2c62.png

Roblaura 04-09-2021 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by BKorsaire (Post 1597861313)
Thank you Rick, merci beaucoup, infiniment !!!

I was very worried because I have an A8, coming from your country, the USA and I wanted to apply the procedure pages 218 and 219 to go from P to N or other without starting : it does not work ! I tried ten times at least. My weekend was already ruined, Vador (its nickname) is new and I look here if someone had this misadventure and I come across this thread first, I read you, I apply your procedure and...it works !

Great, thanks, super, guy ! :cheers:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f91b1b2c62.png

The 6 step process worked for my C7 when it was in Park in my garage, and I needed to put it in Neutral to roll it out without starting the engine. The reason was that I had to have the car put on a flatbed tow truck because an idiot at the dealer did not tighten the oil filter properly following an oil change causing a lot of oil to leak out before I discovered it. I could not tell how much oil was still in the engine (nothing showed on the dip stick) so I took no chances. The dealer apologized profusely, sent and paid for the tow truck, and my next oil change there is free. FYI - I found the process on this website via Google.

Vetteman Jack 04-09-2021 11:55 PM

Old thread, but very good information to know about.

ImpliedConsent 04-10-2021 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1603281549)
Old thread, but very good information to know about.

Not really. The OPs question was never really answered on a dead car. He answered his own question with a vague answer on the park override.

Originally Posted by AirStingray (Post 1593705115)
Well for everyone wondering, I have finally found override button by the shifter. It's on the left side and it's the middle hole. You just need the right tool to squeeze in there

I still haven't found this or know where this is.

YLWFEVER 03-05-2024 12:50 PM

I GOT IT!! After so much poking around, I finally found the hole mentioned. It's on the left side of the shifter, on the side of the black circular plate towards the dash. There is a small hole. I was able to fit the short end of a 5/32 allen wrench into the hole and then the shifter shifts easily. It's easier to see if the console trim and the console bottom are both detached so you can move things around.

mdolandese 03-05-2024 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by YLWFEVER (Post 1607590204)
I GOT IT!! After so much poking around, I finally found the hole mentioned. It's on the left side of the shifter, on the side of the black circular plate towards the dash. There is a small hole. I was able to fit the short end of a 5/32 allen wrench into the hole and then the shifter shifts easily. It's easier to see if the console trim and the console bottom are both detached so you can move things around.

Why do t you take a picture if possible it may help someone else out in the future. 👍

MosEspa 03-05-2024 03:03 PM

Everyone talking about it and saying they found it but no pictures :P

Avanti 03-05-2024 05:18 PM

"I didn't think GM would design it without taking that into consideration." :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, right. Just go to the C8 Forum hear and read the replies to the same question. :crazy2: :yesnod:

YLWFEVER 03-06-2024 09:04 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5d7306485b.jpg
The hole is on the flat black piece above the far left plastic box.

lassie 03-07-2024 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by YLWFEVER (Post 1607592820)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5d7306485b.jpg
The hole is on the flat black piece above the far left plastic box.

I still don't get it. Sorry. Can you or someone add an arrow or a circle mark on the image?

eboggs_jkvl 03-07-2024 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by lassie (Post 1607595839)
I still don't get it. Sorry. Can you or someone add an arrow or a circle mark on the image?

Need an arrow or something to point it out. I'm getting information but it doesn't help locating the A: hole, B: the flat plastic, or anything. Sorry, I'm just dense.

Elmer

mdolandese 03-07-2024 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl (Post 1607596090)
Need an arrow or something to point it out. I'm getting information but it doesn't help locating the A: hole, B: the flat plastic, or anything. Sorry, I'm just dense.

Elmer

:iagree:I don’t get it either. Need an arrow or something it isn’t that clear can’t figure it out

Factoid 03-07-2024 09:42 AM

Seems like an awful lot of work just to shift into neutral.

Can’t you just use a jump pack to power up enough to shift into neutral?