CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   The definitive MOMO steering wheel on a C5 thread. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3924400-the-definitive-momo-steering-wheel-on-a-c5-thread.html)

pdx-vette 12-31-2016 07:42 PM

The definitive MOMO steering wheel on a C5 thread.

We're wanting to install a MOMO steering wheel on a 2000 C5.

http://www.momousa.com/tuning/steeri...els/retro.html

Over the last couple of days we've read about the installation for hours in threads & other online sources. Much of the information was conflicting & after a while it became convoluted.
We reached out to MOMO, a couple of authorized dealers & experienced forum member(s). Being that it's a holiday weekend, we've received only a couple of responses thus far.

The information which best correlates, states that we need the MOMO steering wheel (of course), hub adapter #2401 & airbag resistor #ABRESISTOR.
I'll update this thread as more information/confirmation is received. I hope it helps everyone who's wanted an aftermarket steering wheel.

Vetteman Jack 12-31-2016 08:29 PM

In for the updates. :lurk:

alxltd1 12-31-2016 09:15 PM

When I was installing mine I ran into the same issues regarding information to use as a guide. Using trial and error I got it done with the following:

Momo Eagle Steering Wheel

NRG Short Hub Quick Release SRK-170H (says it is for a Dodge)

A replacement horn ring (which last I looked is no longer available Carbon fiber) with a plain black button, no MOMO logo (EBAY)

The air bag resistor, 2 ohm, 5 watt resistor (EBAY)

The only two issues I had were: had to drill a hole in the hub 180 degrees out from where the hub had a hole for the horn wire.
The wheel was hard to remove (mine is a 2000 also) after being on for 14 years (we did this in 2014).

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/u...psepqe9y76.jpg

Evil-Twin 12-31-2016 10:08 PM

Ill offer this up... an air bag is a required safety appliance Also standard on any new vehicle. required by the department of transportation.

Any shop removing an air bag can be held responsible for any damages cause or injuries cause by its remove and loss of protection. They can become a litigant in prosecution , that's why very few shop would ever consider disabling or removing an air bag. Also having an unequipped vehicle ( no air bag )will void any insurance claim if injuries are a result. If you think you can remove the air bag without consequences, just call your insurance broker or insurance under writer and ask them if its ok to remove the air bag, and how would that effect my coverage and my premium. Get involved in an accident and be hit by someone, their lawyer would have a field day when you ask for compensation after having removed an air bag.

Insurance rates are based on legislation for safety appliance that are required . If everyone just removed their air bag, insurance companies would be paying out much higher claims, and they would be passed on to the consumer. Try and buy a New car without an air bag.. Try and get a car passed a state inspection without an air bag. No state inspection sticker, makes your car an illegal automobile, also puts you at risk for serious consequences both in loss of driving privilege, and a defendant in a criminal law suit.

The Momo steering wheel is not protected by the Moss- Magnusson legislation, because it dose not contain an air back that the OEM design requires.

Federal legislation makes airbags mandatory

On September 1, 1998, the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 finally goes into effect. The law required that all cars and light trucks sold in the United States have air bags

norcalace 12-31-2016 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin (Post 1593770295)
Ill offer this up... an air bag is a required safety appliance Also standard on any new vehicle. required by the department of transportation.

Any shop removing an air bag can be held responsible for any damages cause or injuries cause by its remove and loss of protection. They can become a litigant in prosecution , that's why very few shop would ever consider disabling or removing an air bag. Also having an unequipped vehicle ( no air bag )will void any insurance claim if injuries are a result. If you think you can remove the air bag without consequences, just call your insurance broker or insurance under writer and ask them if its ok to remove the air bag, and how would that effect my coverage and my premium. Get involved in an accident and be hit by someone, their lawyer would have a field day when you ask for compensation after having removed an air bag.

Insurance rates are based on legislation for safety appliance that are required . If everyone just removed their air bag, insurance companies would be paying out much higher claims, and they would be passed on to the consumer. Try and buy a New car without an air bag.. Try and get a car passed a state inspection without an air bag. No state inspection sticker, makes your car an illegal automobile, also puts you at risk for serious consequences both in loss of driving privilege, and a defendant in a criminal law suit.

The Momo steering wheel is not protected by the Moss- Magnusson legislation, because it dose not contain an air back that the OEM design requires.

Federal legislation makes airbags mandatory

On September 1, 1998, the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 finally goes into effect. The law required that all cars and light trucks sold in the United States have air bags

Correct on all points except it's not mandated by DOT but instead the NHTSA is the governing agency. There is a procedure in place to request exemptions in order to disconnect the airbag/s, however swapping steering wheels isn't one of the acceptable reasons.

grantv 12-31-2016 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by norcalace (Post 1593770405)
Correct on all points except it's not mandated by DOT but instead the NHTSA is the governing agency. There is a procedure in place to request exemptions in order to disconnect the airbag/s, however swapping steering wheels isn't one of the acceptable reasons.

I've mentioned similar concerns (on deaf ears) in other threads about removing an air bag. Including one step worse IMO; someone else (friend, family, future owner) drives the car and gets injured. Potential litigation coming the way to whoever removed the safety device...

Evil-Twin 01-01-2017 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by norcalace (Post 1593770405)

Ive been retired 16 years, back in the 80's and 90's DOT approved all safety equipment You would see a DOT sticker on Motorcycle helmets and other safety equipment.. I remember we had signs off sheets from DOT, but I do agree that now the complaisance body is in fact the NHTSA, I remember specifically being involved in a C5 project where Dave wanted to be Pro active with the DOT on side impact compliance. It was the reason for the double hinge design on the consol. Just trying to remember those conversations back in 1995, while in the design phase.

Pounder 01-01-2017 12:49 AM

motorcycle riders don't want to wear helmets, countless people still injured because they didn't use a seatbelt ??????????? I don't get it !!!!!:toetap::toetap::toetap::ack::ack:: ack:

danh52 01-01-2017 01:01 AM

How about we get back to the OP of the thread? You know, the technical aspects of swapping to an aftermarket steering wheel?

As I plan to track my car a smaller diameter steering wheel to high on the list of mods I'd like to get done before winters over.

I'm still undecided on the exact model wheel but it will be 350mm diameter. I also will be using the NRG short hub adapter and will make my own spacer on my lathe.

http://www.momousa.com/tuning/steeri...er-silver.html

I hope to remove the old wheel without damaging it so it could be returned back to stock if the next owner desires.

norcalace 01-01-2017 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin (Post 1593770892)
Ive been retired 16 years, back in the 80's and 90's DOT approved all safety equipment You would see a DOT sticker on Motorcycle helmets and other safety equipment.. I remember we had signs off sheets from DOT, but I do agree that now the complaisance body is in fact the NHTSA, I remember specifically being involved in a C5 project where Dave wanted to be Pro active with the DOT on side impact compliance. It was the reason for the double hinge design on the consol. Just trying to remember those conversations back in 1995, while in the design phase.

I have to recant a bit and say that the NHTSA was stood up in 1979 as an agency of the Department of Transportation. Your recollection was accurate. You can stop worrying about that memory thing. Now where did I put my car keys?

To the OP, sorry for the side bar. Agree the smaller wheels, Momo and such are an improvement over OEM for track days and/or DDs if that what you like. I'm sure others appreciate your research and sharing your results. It's always good to see and read what someone has done when considering mods to your own car. :cheers:

Evil-Twin 01-01-2017 08:44 AM

I too love the "look" and the feedback you get from a wheel like that.but I am a rule follower. Many people skirt the law, eg. Removing the front license plate just for looks.I can appreciate that but I would never do it myself.

My thought was not to disrupt all the reasearch and data put forth by the Op, but to just offer the fact that this modification comes with baggage ,and is not just a no brainer.For those who see it as a very nice modification.

pdx-vette 01-01-2017 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by danh52 (Post 1593770983)
How about we get back to the OP of the thread?...

Thank you!
The safety & legal aspects of removing the airbag have been beat to death in other threads. The purpose of this thread isn't to reignite those debates.
It's to discuss the best means of installing a MOMO steering wheel on a C5.

Evil-Twin 01-01-2017 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by pdx-vette (Post 1593772769)
Thank you!
The safety & legal aspects of removing the airbag have been beat to death in other threads. The purpose of this thread isn't to reignite those debates.
It's to discuss the best means of installing a MOMO steering wheel on a C5.

I disagree. This forum has new member come to it every day. This modification has also been beat to death. If those promoting this as a legal and easy modification with no ramifications and are afraid of someone who cares about the members both old and new explaining the legalities of it. well that's just a shame. Too many people come to this forum offering just partial input of facts, newbies tell me all the time that they thought most of the tenured posters here are experts.

An unsuspecting newbie could buy into this modification and get into a lot of trouble with out knowing it ALL.

Any real caring member of this forum would allow " ALL" the circumstances about this modification to be included in any thread. To pretend these FACTS do not impact the purchase is sad.

pdx-vette 01-01-2017 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin (Post 1593772816)
I disagree. This forum has new member come to it every day. This modification has also been beat to death. If those promoting this as a legal and easy modification with no ramifications and are afraid of someone who cares about the members both old and new explaining the legalities of it. well that's just a shame. Too many people come to this forum offering just partial input of facts, newbies tell me all the time that they thought most of the tenured posters here are experts.

An unsuspecting newbie could buy into this modification and get into a lot of trouble with out knowing it ALL.

Any real caring member of this forum would allow " ALL" the circumstances about this modification to be included in any thread. To pretend these FACTS do not impact the purchase is sad.

A definitive process for the modification was never determined in all those discussions. As for the safety & legal aspects...

This modification removes the airbag, which is considered unsafe by certain organizations, people & is illegal in some states.

There, it's been covered & everyone is forewarned. Maybe we can get back to the modification now.

LoneStarFRC 01-01-2017 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by pdx-vette (Post 1593769458)
We're wanting to install a MOMO steering wheel on a 2000 C5.

http://www.momousa.com/tuning/steeri...els/retro.html

Over the last couple of days we've read about the installation for hours in threads & other online sources. Much of the information was conflicting & after a while it became convoluted.
We reached out to MOMO, a couple of authorized dealers & experienced forum member(s). Being that it's a holiday weekend, we've received only a couple of responses thus far.

The information which best correlates, states that we need the MOMO steering wheel (of course), hub adapter #2401 & airbag resistor #ABRESISTOR.
I'll update this thread as more information/confirmation is received. I hope it helps everyone who's wanted an aftermarket steering wheel.

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1593769735)
In for the updates. :lurk:

:iagree: :lurk:

Evil-Twin 01-01-2017 01:58 PM

Its not definitive if its not complete

Originally Posted by pdx-vette (Post 1593772922)
A definitive process for the modification was never determined in all those discussions. As for the safety & legal aspects...

This modification removes the airbag, which is considered unsafe by certain organizations, people & is illegal in some states.

There, it's been covered & everyone is forewarned. Maybe we can get back to the modification now.

Its illegal in all States, its a federally controlled Safety requirement for those factory equipped which in cludes the C5

Your topic line:
The definitive MOMO steering wheel on a C5 thread.

Is not definitive without the legalities Your attempt to somehow discredit or dismiss, overlook this part of the modification is not in the best interest of those interested.

I'm only keeping this going because you are continuing to dismiss this as part of the equation saying other threads have covered it. But you made up this thread's title as being definitive.. which did not include these facts. So it really was not definitive without them.

FYRARMS 01-01-2017 02:57 PM

"The purpose of this thread isn't to reignite those debates.
It's to discuss the best means of installing a MOMO steering wheel on a C5."

The thread owner has now clarified the purpose of this discussion. It is a technical discussion. Any other non-technical discussion such as legality, insurance claim issues, etc. can now be considered trolling. Perhaps a moderator can clean up the thread now.

pdx-vette 01-01-2017 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by alxltd1 (Post 1593769985)
A replacement horn ring (which last I looked is no longer available Carbon fiber) with a plain black button, no MOMO logo (EBAY)

Is it because the horn wouldn't work with the MOMO horn ring?

Evil-Twin 01-01-2017 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1593773381)
"The purpose of this thread isn't to reignite those debates.
It's to discuss the best means of installing a MOMO steering wheel on a C5."

The thread owner has now clarified the purpose of this discussion. It is a technical discussion. Any other non-technical discussion such as legality, insurance claim issues, etc. can now be considered trolling. Perhaps a moderator can clean up the thread now.

This is C5 general Not C5 Technical. if this thread is a technical only thread it would be better accepted in C5 tech.
This is C5 General where anyone can add anything of substance to a topic. No one here can tell anyone that this thread has to be kept technical and to accuse anyone of adding substance to be a troll, is just sad.

The value of all aspects of this modification can be posted without fear of the bully pulpit and being called a troll. I will however point out that people with an agenda and incorrect information can be challenged
OP said it "May be illegal in some states". This is incorrect, its illegal in all States.
The topic line would have been fine if it was the definitive MOMO thread for adding a Momo wheel to a track car.

No one is going to moderate this forum C5 general but the CF moderators.

Legal aspects of an after market wheel can and will be discussed here without fear of name calling

You want to keep this up, I have nothing but time.
Perhaps the Moderators can move this thread to C5 Technical and clean up the attempts to censor members with a right to post in any thread on this forum within the guidelines of the forum.

Rob 02 01-01-2017 05:08 PM

I would like to have an aftermarket wheel with a bag other than the existing one. You would think that would be a big seller.