CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Opinions on a fair price for c5z (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3925907-opinions-on-a-fair-price-for-c5z.html)

darryl in pcb 01-04-2017 05:23 PM

Opinions on a fair price for c5z

I have a 2002 z06 that I am getting ready to sell and am seeking opinions as to what it is worth. Torch Red, mod interior. H/C/I/E 3.90 gears, 487rwhp. All modifications by Vengeance Racing. 38,000 miles. I am thinking high twenties. Does this sound about right? Thanks in advance.

chassed 01-04-2017 05:30 PM

Sounds like a nice car, but these cars aren't worth much anymore IMO..

I think low 20's with the right buyer if you're lucky . Private party KBB in my area for a car that year and mileage is about 18k...

Mods are only worth what the buyer is willing to pay...or maybe not pay...

bottom line is even if you have 20k worth of parts in the car..its still only worth what its "worth"

this is why Id hate to sell my car....

friou 01-04-2017 05:50 PM

Mileage is low, but you didn't say anything about accidents, interior and exterior condition, items that carry a lot of weight in determining a selling price. Just my opinion but you'll be lucky to get your money back out of your mods and they may actually hinder your sale a bit. depending on the potential buyer. Color is great but I'm betting along with others above regarding price, low 20's, maybe a little less at this time of year. Good luck with your sale and best wishes!

I’m Z one 01-04-2017 05:53 PM

Go to EBay and do a search for sold and completed listings for the same year Z you have that is how I gauge pricing see what people are willing to bed and what people will pay for these cars

1Willy1 01-04-2017 05:56 PM

You are not going to get high twenties for that car

Youd be up against seriously powerful, fully built supercharged cars in that price range , and even those ones aren't selling very fast in many cases.

I think you will be in the $20k range give or take a few grand depending on the buyer.

1Willy1 01-04-2017 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by chassed (Post 1593794411)
Sounds like a nice car, but these cars aren't worth much anymore IMO..

I think low 20's with the right buyer if you're lucky . Private party KBB in my area for a car that year and mileage is about 18k...

Mods are only worth what the buyer is willing to pay...or maybe not pay...

bottom line is even if you have 20k worth of parts in the car..its still only worth what its "worth"

this is why Id hate to sell my car....

That's why I'm so hesitant to do very much to my car , its almost always a case of money gone and never coming back.

Id love to do the seats, coilovers , widebody , front/side body kit as well as some engine tuning and upgrading.......but id never see any of that money back and I am not sure I'm in love with my car enough to take the loss.

Wheels are the best mod cause you can usually get all or most of your money back , but the other stuff not so much

As for your car im sure you'd find a buyer on the forums who would be willing to pay a bit of a premium , but unless your getting into a viper or something equally as cool I would just keep it.

friou 01-04-2017 06:17 PM

Friou back, just saw the exterior shot of your Z, just wanted to say "beautiful Z"! Best wishes!

zeevette 01-04-2017 06:26 PM

If you can afford to wait for the right buyer, about 25k is fair. Might take some time. If you have receipts for the mods, that'll help. Be careful with test drives/tire kickers. That much power with gears would be a handful for a rookie.

darryl in pcb 01-04-2017 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by zeevette (Post 1593794819)
If you can afford to wait for the right buyer, about 25k is fair. Might take some time. If you have receipts for the mods, that'll help. Be careful with test drives/tire kickers. That much power with gears would be a handful for a rookie.

Yes, I do have receipts totaling over 17k. You are right about the potential buyers wanting a test drive, don't feel very comfortable with someone else driving it.

66dts-v 01-04-2017 06:42 PM

I looked at an '04 Z that had 13k on it. The asking price at the dealer was $22k, I was looking to get it for less than $20k. This was 3 years ago when I bought my C5, I don't think prices have gone up since then.

One major issue with low mile cars is maintenance history (the dealer had none and this car had the original 10 year old tires). If you have that and can show oil/filter changes at time based intervals, that could go a long way.

Vetteman Jack 01-04-2017 07:04 PM

I'm thinking start out at $22-23K and if needed be willing to negotiate. At high 20's, you're in C6 territory.

Pounder 01-04-2017 07:25 PM

I have mentioned cars in my area (Mich) seem to go for much higher prices, about two weeks ago a 04 Z with 40,000 on it was asking 28,000 now I know that I don't know what he ended up selling it for ??? all stock !!

Mike98SilVert 01-04-2017 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1593795062)
I'm thinking start out at $22-23K and if needed be willing to negotiate.

:iagree:

DDaaryl 01-04-2017 11:18 PM

Personally I'd pay more for a car without mods. That was part of my criteria during my last purchase. In the past I bought a few vehicles with aftermarket "improvements" but required the seller to include the proper original parts as part of the sale. I walked away from a lot of cars: $35k invested, asking $22k obo with no regrets.

Tuco 01-04-2017 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by 66dts-v (Post 1593794918)
I looked at an '04 Z that had 13k on it. The asking price at the dealer was $22k, I was looking to get it for less than $20k. This was 3 years ago when I bought my C5, I don't think prices have gone up since then.

Wow...that would have been a steal with those miles IMO.
I had a cash offer from Hendricks for 25k for my 03 with 16k on it 18 months ago at Carlisle...

Area/region, I do believe plays into the mix a little..

Evil-Twin 01-05-2017 12:20 AM

A 60 year old automotive Cliché

There is an Ass for every seat.

You could hold out for high 20's, there is someone out there. Problem is having that person find your car.

If you are in a hurry, your asking price need to be dramatically altered.

Many people don't want a modified car. so they wont be interested in your car. those who buy a modified car want to see all the documentation ( a paper trail of receipts, times dyno numbers etc ).. And even then, do not want to pay anywhere near what you think the car is worth.

Many modified cars are viewed as cars that have been pushed to their limits, raced etc and fear that only when someone invest a lot of money in a modified car and is willing to sell if for less than their modification, it looks as of the owner just wants to get out from under a well used and showing signs of heavy use.

It doesn't matter if the car was never abuse, people look at it as an abused car.

chassed 01-05-2017 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin (Post 1593797139)

You could hold out for high 20's, there is someone out there. Problem is having that person find your car.

Many people don't want a modified car. so they wont be interested in your car. those who buy a modified car want to see all the documentation ( a paper trail of receipts, times dyno numbers etc ).. And even then, do not want to pay anywhere near what you think the car is worth.

Many modified cars are viewed as cars that have been pushed to their limits, raced etc and fear that only when someone invest a lot of money in a modified car and is willing to sell if for less than their modification, it looks as of the owner just wants to get out from under a well used and showing signs of heavy use.

It doesn't matter if the car was never abuse, people look at it as an abused car.

freakin AMEN :iagree::flag:

friou 01-05-2017 10:29 AM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin (Post 1593797139)

:iagree: I have always avoided heavily modded cars throughout my performance car buying life. Not talking about shifters, wheels etc, but the internals, always preferred and tried to have others look for well maintained stock, or very close to stock, cars and then, if so desired, modify to make it your own. A much safer buy in my humble opinion. Take care!

Black 02 01-05-2017 10:38 AM

18-22k.

66dts-v 01-05-2017 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tuco (Post 1593796932)
Wow...that would have been a steal with those miles IMO.
I had a cash offer from Hendricks for 25k for my 03 with 16k on it 18 months ago at Carlisle...

Area/region, I do believe plays into the mix a little..

My budget was $20k and while that car was insane, I would have had to spend a lot for tires, belts, hoses, all new fluids (because who knows when any of it was changed) all before I could really enjoy it. I told them it needed to go to some older guy who drives it in parades on the weekend. I would have hurt that car. :rofl:

Yes, location and time of year play a huge factor. I bought my car in November and prices were low and inventory high within my 500 mile search radius.

<edit> That car was stunning, though. It was also the car that made me realise as much as I loved the Z, I needed a targa more.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a6a3bb6825.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ca671c217e.jpg