CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Lookin for advise (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3929442-lookin-for-advise.html)

Fox 2/23 01-13-2017 11:46 AM

Lookin for advise

Hey guy's I don't know what to do! My father passed away in September he was a die hard car guy and has owned cars that I could only dream of, the one car that he cherished most was his glen green 1965 corvette 396 4speed.
My entire life that car sat in the garage all 36 years, it actually was in there for 42 years but I couldn't see it because I wasn't alive,
I am the second youngest of 6 kids so I am not the only one with those memories. A few weeks after everything settled down I told my mother that I could not let that car leave the family, so I asked her and my siblings if I could purchase the car honestly I was waiting for the family to start fighting but it didn't happen they all agreed so I went to moms house and started cleaning out the garage so I could get to the car.
My dad had stuffed motors, heads, tires, and what ever you could think of around and in front of that car so cleaning the garage was a pain in the a$$, so after filling up the old roller tires it moved for the first time. I loaded it on a trailer and took it down the road to my garage where it sits now, for the past couple of months I have just been researching the Vin # and Model#s to see what I have.
The car is almost all original except for the few things my father changed like the intake, hood, side pipes, and the grille.
A bout a month ago I got a battery and started to test the electrical system and so far everything has checked out okay except the clock. Now my question is what should I do with the car? do what is needed to make the car road worthy, or drop it off at the shop for a facelift?https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...785545a981.jpg

dcamick 01-13-2017 11:53 AM

Sorry for your Dad's passing....

Change the hood, Exhaust, wheels, These are all things you can do yourself. Or Just clean it up and Enjoy your Father's Car.

Looks like it would clean up quite well!!! How many Miles?

C2 Coupes are awesome!

kolsen911 01-13-2017 11:53 AM

Clean it up, you might enjoy poking around and learning a little about the car. All the rubber components should be replaced. Be careful or maybe just replace the fuel lines. If your not a car nut then taking it to a shop would be the safest.

dkleather 01-13-2017 12:00 PM

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of you dad.
Check out this recent post from a guy in a similar situation. Good advice given. What you want to do with the car will determine what you need to do with it. Do you want a safe driver leaving it mostly as is, NCRS award winner or something in-between? Check out this link:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nd-advice.html

:thumbs:Dave

Bluestripe67 01-13-2017 12:11 PM

Wow! Sorry to know you father passed on, but it's nice to see you want to keep it in the family and his spirit alive.
Your question is a well covered subject. Get an AIM book. It the Assembly Instruction Manual they used at the factory. For staters, you don't mention your mechanical ability, but I suspect you can do the job. That is important for many reasons. Start by taking a lot of pics, make many notes. Some things have been mentioned before, but I repeat. All the rubber parts will need to be replaced especially the rubber gas line at the back and the one to the fuel pump. The brake calipers, if original should be rebuilt. The brake lines are critical, especially the rubber sections. Check the main bulkhead connector under the master cylinder for corrosion on the contacts. Be careful when you remove this so you don't break the mounting tabs. Let us know how things are going. :cheers: Dennis

Fox 2/23 01-13-2017 12:38 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4e69fcb167.jpg

Fox 2/23 01-13-2017 12:38 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...30bca2a756.jpg

Fox 2/23 01-13-2017 12:39 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...642f7cf045.jpg

Fox 2/23 01-13-2017 12:53 PM

I have the knowledge and ability to work on cars I was just always a Trans Am guy, corvette's are just new to me, so that's why I spend a lot of time on this forum to learn from people that know them inside and out. The tires are just some he had laying around the originals are in the attic somewhere this is the car I just sold.https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...66b2c31166.jpg

Bluestripe67 01-13-2017 01:59 PM

You are the right guy for the project! :D With low milage showing, your engine/trans/rear may well be the original powertrain. A '65 BB 396 is a very desirable car. Get Noland Adams hardbound book on the Restoration and Technical Guide Vol 2 of '63-'67 Vettes. Get all the numbers off the block both front pad and rear casting number. We can see the mismatched parts such as the Thrush side exhaust, Chevy van hub caps, after market breather, twisty hoses etc. You have a great project before you. PS, your clean garage may look a little different in the near future.:D Dennis

DJordan442 01-13-2017 02:41 PM

What a great way to honor your father. I'm jealous. I would just get the brake and fuel systems addressed as others have indicated, get it running and then enjoy. Address little things that bother you over time and then you will have a great survivor to enjoy. Please post pics as you progress:lurk:

Lotsacubes 01-13-2017 03:08 PM

Your dad and I must have been about the same age. I thot I was so bad with those exact side pipes on my '69 350 2-barrel Camaro. Embarrassed to confess that now. He'd be very pleased you treasure his vette. Sorry for your loss. Your dad had good taste. That is a very desirable car. Enjoy.

ptjsk 01-13-2017 03:26 PM

Sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. That's never an easy time.

As far as the car goes, all the advise already given is great advise.

One thing I may offer is that you don't just drop that car off to any shop. Looks like you're already into cars, so I'm sure you're well aware that you need to be very careful of where that car lands up.

If it were me, I would have that car up on jack-stands, or preferably a lift. Remove all the wheels and begin a slow and methodical process of identifying the items you need.

Great advise already given on the fuel lines, and then follow up with brakes, wheel cylinders/calipers, suspension ect.

You have an incredible opportunity and the more you "tinker" with items, the more familiar you're going to become with the car.

It would be good to hook up with somebody close to you that is well versed in Corvettes.

Just don't jump too fast on anything. Take it slow and take the time to "discover" just exactly what it is your Dad left you.

Lots of good people on this forum, good move on your part to come here.

Pat

ben dover 01-13-2017 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by ptjsk (Post 1593859783)

Just don't jump too fast on anything. Take it slow and take the time to "discover" just exactly what it is your Dad left you.

Pat

Good advice. Congrats on rescuing a great car, I'm envious.

GTOguy 01-13-2017 04:26 PM

Sorry about your dad. Great advice here, though. Don't blow it all apart. Clean it up, take your time, and see what you have. I bought a hurt and mothballed '61 in 2015 that had sat for a couple of decades but was pretty much all there. An engine repair, fuel system overhaul, and new brake system and I was driving it in record time. No need for a restoration at this point, just clean it up, take lots of photos, and get it running and driving. I'm a Pontiac GTO guy myself, but working on the Corvette is a just another GM car....no sweat in your case. Good luck!

Frankie the Fink 01-13-2017 06:33 PM

I'm a little weirded out - this is like the 5th car in a month that is undergoing a resurrection on here...after sitting for decades...

phil2302 01-13-2017 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1593860976)
I'm a little weirded out - this is like the 5th car in a month that is undergoing a resurrection on here...after sitting for decades...

Agree it seems a bit suspect.

Frankie the Fink 01-13-2017 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by phil2302 (Post 1593861362)
Agree it seems a bit suspect.

I'm not saying they're not legit - just strange how things run in "waves" at times. Too bad the OP lost his father; the car will make a nice legacy.

ChattanoogaJSB 01-14-2017 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1593861471)
I'm not saying they're not legit - just strange how things run in "waves" at times. Too bad the OP lost his father; the car will make a nice legacy.

Also the car in this thread has been posted before here recently. It's not the first time it's come up.

Fox 2/23 01-17-2017 10:26 AM

Thanks for the responses, I'm not trying to pull a fast one, or trying to make the car sound or look better than it is which I'm sure happens a lot, I am just the new guy that is learning something new about the car everyday. thanks again and this won't be the last time you here from me.