CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 Corvette Frame Spotted At GM Battery Lab Fuels Hybridization Rumors (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3930709-c7-corvette-frame-spotted-at-gm-battery-lab-fuels-hybridization-rumors.html)

jagamajajaran 01-16-2017 12:51 PM

C7 Corvette Frame Spotted At GM Battery Lab Fuels Hybridization Rumors

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/01/...#ixzz4Vwq3mlow

- by Sean Szymkowski, Jan 16, 2017

General Motors may not have hidden everything out of plain sight during a recent tour of its 85,000 square-foot battery lab in Warren, Michigan.

During the standard-issue tour, Car Advice spotted something peculiar: a C7 Corvette‘s frame sitting within the lab. According to the report, no other non-hybrid vehicles were seen in the facility. The body shell was stamped with the correct coding, too, “Y1BC”, which is indeed a C7 Corvette’s bones.

Obviously, this lends itself to the idea of a hybrid Corvette in the future. GM also moved to trademark the “Corvette E-Ray” and “E-Ray” names in 2015, leading to speculation over a hybrid-powered Corvette in the future.

However, most of the hybrid speculation has been saved for the C8 Corvette, which has been pegged as a mid-engine successor to the C7 Corvette. It’s been thought the upcoming 2018 C7 Corvette ZR1 would serve as the swan song for a front-engine, rear-wheel drive Corvette before the icon makes the switch to a mid-engine configuration.

But, maybe the Corvette team has a surprise up its sleeve before the C7 is whisked off. Only time will tell.

John Micheal Henry 01-16-2017 01:20 PM

That's it a hybrid 650hp gas engine with a 500hp electric motor all wheel drive hybrid C7. Sub 3 second 0-60 mph with a sub 10 sec quarter mile..

Tom McMahon 01-16-2017 04:26 PM

C7 Corvette Aluminum Frame Spotted At GM Battery Lab

A C7 Corvette Frame Spotted At GM Battery Lab Fuels Hybridization Rumors.
Source: GM Authority (January 16, 2017)

General Motors may not have hidden everything out of plain sight during a recent tour of its 85,000 square-foot battery lab in Warren, Michigan.
During the standard-issue tour, Car Advice spotted something peculiar: a C7 Corvette‘s frame sitting within the lab. According to the report, no other non-hybrid vehicles were seen in the facility. The body shell was stamped with the correct coding, too, “Y1BC”, which is indeed a C7 Corvette’s bones.
Obviously, this lends itself to the idea of a hybrid Corvette in the future. GM also moved to trademark the “Corvette E-Ray” and “E-Ray” names in 2015, leading to speculation over a hybrid-powered Corvette in the future.
However, most of the hybrid speculation has been saved for the C8 Corvette, which has been pegged as a mid-engine successor to the C7 Corvette. It’s been thought the upcoming 2018 C7 Corvette ZR1 would serve as the swan song for a front-engine, rear-wheel drive Corvette before the icon makes the switch to a mid-engine configuration.
But, maybe the Corvette team has a surprise up its sleeve before the C7 is whisked off. Only time will tell.

USA1- 01-16-2017 04:35 PM

Please

I don't care how many variations of the Corvette they make...as long as we can ALWAYS buy a good 'Ol V8 (in the front)...rear drive...manual trans...dual exhaust...tire smoking...fuel burning...CORVETTE...American Muscle Car. :salute:

Bill Dearborn 01-16-2017 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by USA1- (Post 1593880658)
I don't care how many variations of the Corvette they make...as long as we can ALWAYS buy a good 'Ol V8 (in the front)...rear drive...manual trans...dual exhaust...tire smoking...fuel burning...CORVETTE...American Muscle Car. :salute:

Has never been a muscle car. It existed before the term became known. Some muscle cars can beat a Corvette in an acceleration contest but put them in the environment the Corvette is designed for and they don't do very well. Back in the 60s I had muscle cars that could beat a Corvette but they didn't go around corners any where near as well as a Vette.

Bill

sunsalem 01-16-2017 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1593881884)
Has never been a muscle car. It existed before the term became known. Some muscle cars can beat a Corvette in an acceleration contest but put them in the environment the Corvette is designed for and they don't do very well. Back in the 60s I had muscle cars that could beat a Corvette but they didn't go around corners any where near as well as a Vette.

Bill

I just don't know why the Corvette is classified as a "Muscle Car" by some folks...
As you pointed out, it wasn't/isn't designed as such and never will be.
GM already has a Muscle Car in its fleet...it's called the Camaro.

USA1- 01-16-2017 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by sunsalem (Post 1593882039)
I just don't know why the Corvette is classified as a "Muscle Car" by some folks...
As you pointed out, it wasn't/isn't designed as such and never will be.
GM already has a Muscle Car in its fleet...it's called the Camaro.

It was just an expression...doesn't have to be a fact. Never expected it to become a debate over what is and isn't a Muscle car. Bottom line...DON'T TAKE AWAY MY COMMON MAN CORVETTE! Thank you.

sunsalem 01-16-2017 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by USA1- (Post 1593882130)
DON'T TAKE AWAY MY COMMON MAN CORVETTE! Thank you.

Trust me here: no one is going to take away your guns...errr, Corvette any time soon.:flag:

2K14C7 01-16-2017 07:51 PM

Throw the LT4 behind the driver and two 100hp electric motors up front and you have 850 hp and AWD. :D

mschuyler 01-16-2017 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by USA1- (Post 1593882130)
It was just an expression...doesn't have to be a fact. Never expected it to become a debate over what is and isn't a Muscle car. Bottom line...DON'T TAKE AWAY MY COMMON MAN CORVETTE! Thank you.

I agree. It seems like a pedantic argument. Stick an LT1 into a two seater and it's a "sports car." Stick an LT1 into a four seater and it transforms into a "muscle car." So what's a Cadillac CTS-V (same engine)? Muscle car? Cadillac?? Hmmmm.

sunsalem 01-17-2017 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by 2K14C7 (Post 1593882308)
Throw the LT4 behind the driver and two 100hp electric motors up front and you have 850 hp and AWD. :D

and $150k minimum.:lol:

Originally Posted by mschuyler (Post 1593882429)
I agree. It seems like a pedantic argument. Stick an LT1 into a two seater and it's a "sports car." Stick an LT1 into a four seater and it transforms into a "muscle car." So what's a Cadillac CTS-V (same engine)? Muscle car? Cadillac?? Hmmmm.

The CTS-V is a luxury Sports Sedan meant to compete with the Germans.

HPT 01-17-2017 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by USA1- (Post 1593880658)

Did you ask someone to hold your beer before you typed that?

roadbike56 01-17-2017 09:35 AM

Jag!!!
I know why the C7 frame was at the GM battery lab.
The engineers are trying to figure out how to place the battery in the C7 so it can be replaced without destroying some of the interior. Mystery solved!!! :D:D:D

OK, OK, I'll go back in my hole.:hide:

jagamajajaran 01-17-2017 02:08 PM

:lol:

Detroit Steel 01-24-2017 02:17 PM

Front page coverage

Thought the front page would want to keep up to date on the hybrid front too...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...d-rumors-grow/

ZenicaPA 01-24-2017 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2K14C7 (Post 1593882308)

Many vehicles employ this combination, my Cayenne being one of them. It claims x HP because the the gas and electric but what I fail to understand is how the electric helps HP when I'd think under acceleration, the greater HP source would over spin the weaker HP source which would be the electric.

I equate it to two water streams emanating from separate sources, one at 90psi and the other at 20 psi. Adding a weaker water stream, from a separate source, to a much larger stream expecting it to increase the pressure doesn't add up for me.

jimmyb 01-24-2017 03:09 PM

Just to clear up the terminology:

"Sports" car: Corvette, Viper
"Pony" car: Camaro, Mustang, Challenger
"Muscle" car: GTO, Chevelle, etc...

True modern day "Muscle" cars are hard to find now, maybe the Charger Hellcat is the only one????

Michael A 01-24-2017 03:56 PM

Hybrid is fine. Just don't pull a "Ford" on us with a V6. The V8 is the heart of the Corvette.

Michael

sunsalem 01-24-2017 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA (Post 1593940239)
Many vehicles employ this combination, my Cayenne being one of them. It claims x HP because the the gas and electric but what I fail to understand is how the electric helps HP when I'd think under acceleration, the greater HP source would over spin the weaker HP source which would be the electric.

I forget exactly how these systems work.
IIRC, different manufacturers do it in different ways (flywheels, etc.)

Originally Posted by jimmyb (Post 1593940340)
Just to clear up the terminology:

"Sports" car: Corvette, Viper
"Pony" car: Camaro, Mustang, Challenger
"Muscle" car: GTO, Chevelle, etc...

It might be splitting hairs a bit, but it is an interesting way to it and is probably better if everyone adopted it.
One small problem might be the how to classify the old Camaros, Stangs, and Challengers as "Muscle" or not?

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1593940653)
Hybrid is fine. Just don't pull a "Ford" on us with a V6. The V8 is the heart of the Corvette.

Michael

Absolutely right...V8 for certain.

joemosfet 01-24-2017 04:28 PM

Who is the authority on what "sports" or "pony" or "muscle" car means?