CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Temporary Delete of Power Steering - '66 L79 4Spd (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3931479-temporary-delete-of-power-steering-66-l79-4spd.html)

After38Years 01-17-2017 11:56 PM

Temporary Delete of Power Steering - '66 L79 4Spd

My power steering is leaking big time. It's the second rebuilt system for the car. Until I find a competent rebuilder or figure out how to do it myself, I'm considering converting to non-power so I can enjoy the upcoming spring/summer driving season.

What would be required to change the factory power to non-power steering.

No air, no air pump.

Thanks,
Ralph

tbarb 01-18-2017 05:17 AM

Take the belt off the pump and remove the slave cylinder so you are not pushing/pulling fluid and install the outer tie rod ends in the rearward hole for easy steering.

You will soon appreciate the P/S, can you tell where the leaks are located.

jim lockwood 01-18-2017 08:57 AM

Drain the fluid and remove the PS drive belt. The steering effort will be no greater than for manual, quick steering.

Been there. Done that.

This is what I did when the PS on my '63 sprang a leak and I was waiting on repair parts to arrive. Worked fine.

Jim

Vettegeezer 01-18-2017 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by tbarb (Post 1593891825)
Take the belt off the pump and remove the slave cylinder so you are not pushing/pulling fluid and install the outer tie rod ends in the rearward hole for easy steering.

You will soon appreciate the P/S, can you tell where the leaks are located.

Just a quick note: if you do relocate the tie rods to the other set of holes, this will throw off the front wheel alignment to the point where you will need to readjust the toe-in.
Phil M.

After38Years 01-18-2017 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by tbarb (Post 1593891825)
can you tell where the leaks are located.

Can't tell and it's about 40 degrees in my garage so would need a warm day to continue searching. My belief is it's the pump and it's a significant leak.

gbvette62 01-18-2017 12:28 PM

If you decide to eliminate the power steering, you'll need to replace the center link and pitman arm, but everything else remains the same.

Hydraulic cam, small block 63-68 Corvettes, used a steering damper, but it really isn't necessary. Big blocks, solid lifter 327's, and 69 and later Corvettes, didn't use the damper.

After38Years 01-18-2017 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by gbvette62 (Post 1593893935)
If you decide to eliminate the power steering, you'll need to replace the center link and pitman arm, but everything else remains the same.

Hydraulic cam, small block 63-68 Corvettes, used a steering damper, but it really isn't necessary. Big blocks, solid lifter 327's, and 69 and later Corvettes, didn't use the damper.

This is a temporary delete, I'll reinstall when I'm confident that the leaks have been fixed.
I understand that many small blocks had steering dampers. My car never had one (had it since new...).

MikeM 01-18-2017 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by jim lockwood (Post 1593892492)
Drain the fluid and remove the PS drive belt. The steering effort will be no greater than for manual, quick steering.

Been there. Done that.

This is what I did when the PS on my '63 sprang a leak and I was waiting on repair parts to arrive. Worked fine.

Jim

Or just crack the lines open on the cylinder and remove the belt. Go around a few corners and the system will self purge of oil.

tuxnharley 01-18-2017 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vettegeezer (Post 1593892522)
Just a quick note: if you do relocate the tie rods to the other set of holes, this will throw off the front wheel alignment to the point where you will need to readjust the toe-in.
Phil M.

:iagree: You may also want to check/reduce the caster to ease the steering effort. :thumbs:

GTOguy 01-18-2017 03:29 PM

I would simply spend a weekend and repair the power steering. I rebuilt the pump on my '67 GTO (same pump) with a seal kit off of the internet for less than $20. It took me longer to r&r the pump than it did to rebuild it! If the box is leaking, buy a new one from NAPA and keep your original to have it rebuilt at your leisure. Cheap, and your car will be back in top form with minimal fuss and no jury-rigging.

tbarb 01-18-2017 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by GTOguy (Post 1593895231)
I would simply spend a weekend and repair the power steering. I rebuilt the pump on my '67 GTO (same pump) with a seal kit off of the internet for less than $20. It took me longer to r&r the pump than it did to rebuild it! If the box is leaking, buy a new one from NAPA and keep your original to have it rebuilt at your leisure. Cheap, and your car will be back in top form with minimal fuss and no jury-rigging.

:iagree:

After38Years 01-18-2017 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 1593894282)
Or just crack the lines open on the cylinder and remove the belt. Go around a few corners and the system will self purge of oil.

35 EPA types just passed out after reading your suggestion..... :eek:

MikeM 01-18-2017 06:44 PM

So, you knew what you had to do all along. You just wanted to let everyone know you were working or your car? Or wanted to boost your post count?

You've been driving the thing with it leaking for some time, obviously from your post. What's a few more drips on the pavement?

Crunch527 01-18-2017 07:40 PM

Get rid of the original power assist with the leaky valve body and get a Borgeson kit...

After38Years 01-18-2017 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 1593896650)
So, you knew what you had to do all along. You just wanted to let everyone know you were working or your car? Or wanted to boost your post count?

You've been driving the thing with it leaking for some time, obviously from your post. What's a few more drips on the pavement?

Cranky we are today?

dknowles67 12-16-2018 08:40 AM

Has anyone tried this on a 67 L36 (427/390hp) with A/C? It's a complicated pulley system, but it looks like I can take the center pulley (2 grooves) that drives the A/C compressor, and run it to the alternator (38" belt?). In the current configuration, the center pulley drives the PS pump (2 grooves) and the 2nd groove from the PS pump runs the alternator. I can do w/o A/C and PS this week, and rebuild the PS pump over the Christmas break. If so, what length belt? I measured ~38" (inside diameter) with my wife's sewing tape measure. (Hard to do with belts on the pulleys).

hedgehead 12-16-2018 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Crunch527 (Post 1593896995)
Get rid of the original power assist with the leaky valve body and get a Borgeson kit...

:iagree:

65GGvert 12-16-2018 10:36 AM

It's a hell of a lot easier to change the pump than it is to add Borgeson. Borgeson still uses the pump and if that's where the leak is there's no help there.

Nowhere Man 12-16-2018 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by 65GGvert (Post 1598510068)
It's a hell of a lot easier to change the pump than it is to add Borgeson. Borgeson still uses the pump and if that's where the leak is there's no help there.

because addressing the real problem and fixing it correctly is a real problem around here.

Factoid 12-16-2018 12:32 PM

Problem? Hmm...unless complete originality is your goal which I respect, why fix old technology when you can make it better?

Of course this doesn’t answer the OP’s question. BTW, the center link is the same. It is the control valve on the pitman end of the center link that is different with manual steering.

Now we have a new poster in the old thread wanting to know about the belt. Frankly, you should take some time and fix your leak if it is that significant, rather than try to rearrange the belts.