CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   4x4 C4 Could Be Most Unusual Project Ever (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/3932705-4x4-c4-could-be-most-unusual-project-ever.html)

Corvette Forum Editor 01-20-2017 01:47 PM

4x4 C4 Could Be Most Unusual Project Ever

https://www.corvetteforum.com/wp-con...4327583229.jpg

This Craigslist C4 might not be complete, but you'll certainly be the only one on your block with a 4x4 Corvette.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>

Tom400CFI 01-20-2017 03:29 PM

This is why C4 values languish. Cars like this one ruin it for everyone. :ack:

MAKenna 01-20-2017 03:57 PM

the interior was a lot better then some of the cars we try to rescue. Kinda sad

jay23ls 01-20-2017 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI (Post 1593911172)
This is why C4 values languish. Cars like this one ruin it for everyone. :ack:

That and the people who leave the internals as-is but add the ugliest things to the body :ack::ack:

L98Justin 01-21-2017 07:59 AM

There are far too many C4's that end up like this or with god awful body kits.... no wonder we are the jokes of the Corvette world

3JsVette 01-21-2017 09:26 AM

"Unusual" is much to kind to describe that mess which degrades the entire C4 generation. :ack:

_Wayne_ 01-21-2017 09:37 PM

I'm local to this car! Thinking about checking out to see what's been done.

L98Justin 01-22-2017 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by _Wayne_ (Post 1593920468)

please give it a cleansing death by fire

FOURSPEEDVETTE 01-24-2017 09:34 AM

Just go in and laugh at it. :lolg: Maybe the idiot building it will get the idea.

ghoastrider1 01-24-2017 03:23 PM

that the one down by the airport?

_Wayne_ 01-24-2017 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1 (Post 1593940419)
that the one down by the airport?

Yes it is! Lets start a corvette forum go fund me so we can buy it and put it out of its misery

hcbph 01-24-2017 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by _Wayne_ (Post 1593940503)
Yes it is! Lets start a corvette forum go fund me so we can buy it and put it out of its misery

Tell the seller if he parts it out, he'll likely get more than if he tries to sell it as-is.

GREGGPENN 01-25-2017 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by 3JsVette (Post 1593915964)
"Unusual" is much to kind to describe that mess which degrades the entire C4 generation. :ack:

Negative comments about builder's efforts to create something different add their own "something" to C4 generation owners. (Think about it).

Evidently, C4 owners don't "get" creative 4x4 builders....or Chuck Barris...or anything not like what's in their garage.

FWIW, I don't feel my car is degraded AT ALL by the existence of this build....quite the opposite. I think it was chosen due to the Corvette's reputation for having a strong motor.

That said, I have refrained from posting (exterior) pictures of my car for about 5 yrs now....including a recent thread on who has the best custom/stock C4. It's not the best but provides some ideas/perspective IMO. (FWIW, I mounted a wing to cover up a botched power antenna delete ("shave") when painting my entire car several years ago. Because of the attitude of many Corvette owners, I quit posting pics and going to Corvette shows.)

And, really, the negative posts don't even bother me any more. Just felt it was time for my annual "think about it" post.

Carry on....

:cheers:

FOURSPEEDVETTE 01-25-2017 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN (Post 1593944360)
Negative comments about builder's efforts to create something different add their own "something" to C4 generation owners. (Think about it).

Evidently, C4 owners don't "get" creative 4x4 builders....or Chuck Barris...or anything not like what's in their garage.

FWIW, I don't feel my car is degraded AT ALL by the existence of this build....quite the opposite. I think it was chosen due to the Corvette's reputation for having a strong motor.

That said, I have refrained from posting (exterior) pictures of my car for about 5 yrs now....including a recent thread on who has the best custom/stock C4. It's not the best but provides some ideas/perspective IMO. (FWIW, I mounted a wing to cover up a botched power antenna delete ("shave") when painting my entire car several years ago. Because of the attitude of many Corvette owners, I quit posting pics and going to Corvette shows.)

And, really, the negative posts don't even bother me any more. Just felt it was time for my annual "think about it" post.

Carry on....

I don't think "Corvettes strong motors" have anything at all to do with that....:crazy2:...what ever it is. Seeing something like that done to a Corvette to create something different is really strange to me. Own a Corvette or own a 4X4 mud truck. Two very different vehicles with very different uses. Pretty sure more people would laugh at it than be impressed with it. A few others have tried this type creation, but most never lasted too long.

GREGGPENN 01-26-2017 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE (Post 1593951246)
I don't think "Corvettes strong motors" have anything at all to do with that....:crazy2:...what ever it is. Seeing something like that done to a Corvette to create something different is really strange to me. Own a Corvette or own a 4X4 mud truck. Two very different vehicles with very different uses. Pretty sure more people would laugh at it than be impressed with it. A few others have tried this type creation, but most never lasted too long.

Well...the motors aren't as strong any more (now that they aren't 4-bolts out of the gate. So the emphasis was on reputation.

As for owning a Corvette OR a 4x4 mud truck, consider how many manufacturers are offering AWD on cars nowadays. Or...where a "crossover" came from?

I suggest not limiting your thinking. I own an out-of-the-ordinary 4x4 and it gets way more attention than my customized Corvette. From my ownership, I can assure everyone: What's rare gets attention. People admire creation. There's nothing in this build that people would generally consider "hideous" either. (Think about the 4x4 in the recent Batman movies. They turned the "Batmobile" into a 4x4!!!)

One advantage I can see for the use of a C4 body on a super-jacked 4x4 is the lower air drag. The drivetrains are pretty strong -- especially on the ZF6 cars...but I can't necessarily put in a vote of confidence for the frame strength....LOL

Of course it would have helped if I saw the CONCLUSION for that article on the Falconer's findings. You know...the car that was DESIGNED to test how strong a C4 frame was (is)!!!

ghoastrider1 01-26-2017 08:07 AM

There is a set of brothers living between two small towns south of here that used to do this kinda thing on a regular basis. Years ago I used to watch what their new builds were.. at the time it was just C-3 cars as they ( c-3)were on the bottom of the "resale price" heap. This looks like one of their builds. I always wondered what happened to the parts replaced for the 4 wheel set ups.

Tom400CFI 01-26-2017 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN (Post 1593951777)
As for owning a Corvette OR a 4x4 mud truck, consider how many manufacturers are offering AWD on cars nowadays. Or...where a "crossover" came from?

Come on now....are you suggesting that thing has functionality like a crossover "SUV" does? No, it doesn't. It fails as a 'Vette. It fails as a 4x4/utility vehicle.

One advantage I can see for the use of a C4 body on a super-jacked 4x4 is the lower air drag. The drivetrains are pretty strong -- especially on the ZF6 cars...but I can't necessarily put in a vote of confidence for the frame strength....LOL

Surely, you're joking at this point. There is no "aerodynamics" in that thing. It's going to be about the same as when it had an SUV body on that frame....maybe worse w/those tires. The entire drivetrain in that thing is "S10". -Or what ever the frame of that abortion came from. There is NO ZF6 in there. No D44, no "Corvette" nothing. It has a GM 10 bolt rear (POS), 700R4 trans...I wouldn't be surprised if the thing has a 4.3 V6 roach. But I very highly doubt that it has an "L83", L98, LT1/4 or 5 in the thing.

You can read about how strong the frame is in my "frame tech" thread, but the S-10 frame is the majority of the structure, in that...thing.

FOURSPEEDVETTE 01-26-2017 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI (Post 1593952528)
Come on now....are you suggesting that thing has functionality like a crossover "SUV" does? No, it doesn't. It fails as a 'Vette. It fails as a 4x4/utility vehicle.

Surely, you're joking at this point. There is no "aerodynamics" in that thing. It's going to be about the same as when it had an SUV body on that frame....maybe worse w/those tires. The entire drivetrain in that thing is "S10". -Or what ever the frame of that abortion came from. There is NO ZF6 in there. No D44, no "Corvette" nothing. It has a GM 10 bolt rear (POS), 700R4 trans...I wouldn't be surprised if the thing as a 4.3 V6 roach. But I very highly doubt that it has an "L83", L98, LT1/4 or 5 in the thing.

You can read about hos strong the frame is in my "frame tech" thread, but the S-10 frame is the majority of the structure, in that...thing.

:iagree: This creation would have absolutely no functionality as a Corvette or an everyday 4X4 SUV. It was obviously built to be beat on in a mud pitt with a bunch of drunken hoopies. :lol: The Corvette body was put on it just to draw attention. My thought is that it's a combination of two beaters and a $1000.00 budget. These type "projects" don't impress me at all. :cheers:

mike100 01-26-2017 01:35 PM

throwing cars on top of truck frames have never really gotten much respect, but I have did see an el camino one that was done well. There used to be a guy with a 70 Challenger body on a D10 Dodge frame named 'Thumper'.

L98Justin 01-26-2017 03:59 PM

What's rare gets attention. People admire creation. There's nothing in this build that people would generally consider "hideous" either.

You've got to be joking :crazy2: