CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Wife's C6 conv needs new runflats (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3935526-wifes-c6-conv-needs-new-runflats.html)

Retired GM Engr 01-26-2017 02:27 PM

Wife's C6 conv needs new runflats

My wife's used C6 Conv. has 55k miles. Needs new runflats.
She has a preferred local tire dealer - for many years.
For good reasons, he IS her dealer. He can provide either:
1. Goodyear F1s.
2. Firestone Firehawks.
Goodyears $230 more the OEM size set.

I will never do Firestones since the Ford Explorer debacle.
At that time a Firestone OEM set arrived on my new GMC Z71.
Rear sidewall blew out at 50 mph. 5/32s left. Still ? ? ?

My C5 Z06 Z16 daily driver has 106k miles. Runflats not avail.
OEM GY F1s, two sets of PS2s, now on Bridgestone Potenzas.
Michelins best, Bridgestones fine - now less aggressive driving.

Anyone have ideas on GYs vs. Firehawks for her ?
Safety 1st, wear 2nd, aggressive driving "way last". :lol:

kenoverbey 01-26-2017 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Retired GM Engr (Post 1593955118)
My wife's used C6 Conv. has 55k miles. Needs new runflats.
She has a preferred local tire dealer - for many years.
For good reasons, he IS her dealer. He can provide either:
1. Goodyear F1s.
2. Firestone Firehawks.
Goodyears $230 more the OEM size set.

I will never do Firestones since the Ford Explorer debacle.
At that time a Firestone OEM set arrived on my new GMC Z71.
Rear sidewall blew out at 50 mph. 5/32s left. Still ? ? ?

My C5 Z06 Z16 daily driver has 106k miles. Runflats not avail.
OEM GY F1s, two sets of PS2s, now on Bridgestone Potenzas.
Michelins best, Bridgestones fine - now less aggressive driving.

Anyone have ideas on GYs vs. Firehawks for her ?
Safety 1st, wear 2nd, aggressive driving "way last". :lol:

I put the BFG comps on my last vette. They are 10x better than the run flats other than they will go flat, lol.. I have almost new GY on my current vette. If you lived close I would give them to you for a set of the BFGs.. I got a whole set from Tire discounters for $725.. THey were so much quieter and rode much better

Ron'sGS 01-26-2017 02:36 PM

Try looking at Tire Rack, or Discount Tire direct ( online ). The oem Goodyears are terrible. I'm not sure why GM picked that tire for the Corvette. As for the Firehawk's, I think you answered your question already.

TerryL 01-26-2017 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What century was that Ford 'debacle'?

Firestone WO RFs are great C6 tires. This pic shows over 30K miles.

jrose7004 01-26-2017 02:44 PM

Out of the tires you listed, I think the FireStones are the best choice.

wayback 01-26-2017 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by jrose7004 (Post 1593955317)

:iagree:

But I have The M. ASPS. Heard the ASPS3 are even better.

Landru 01-26-2017 03:00 PM

From one retire engineer to another: Michelin.
Bridgestone PPs are second choice, have used 'em after each set of orig GYs wore-out on my C5 & C6s. Good tire, Michelin better. FWIW

2 cents: it isn't GY's are a 'bad' tire, I found 'em to be the softest & by extension griped extremely well. For first 5K. After 5K, forgetaboutit.

Because GYs are soft they wear quick,and regardless how they're driven.
It's fine for Jack Roush or Richard Childress, even if they HAVE to use GY. I expect better longevity IF I drive my Corvette conservatively, am NOT JR, RC or any other millionaire so GYs aren't even in the discussion for that reason, alone.

BTW confirm your old tire dealer-pal can do runflats, has the appropriate (& *expensive) machine.
~Got a great deal on Michelins @ 4 corners from NTB.
Car's on rack & I'm told their machine w/couldn't do a tire such as mine. Too wide. Z06 sizes, FWIW.
Awfully friendly helpful people at NTB, great prices too; but, not knowing their machine c/would work? :crazy2:

Also, get 4 wheel alignment using Pfadt 'Street Specs', Pfadt specs are on Internet.
Corvettes come from factory w/ an aggressive toe-in to facilitate racing, cornering & accounts for un-needed wear for anyone not racing.

Pfadt SS rectifies this problem & prolongs tire wear. :cheers:

Welker1 01-26-2017 03:19 PM

Another vote for the Michelin, much better tire then the GY IMO. You can order them from Tire Rack and have them dropped shipped to the local tire shop for installation .... just coordinate with them first. This is what I did :cheers:

Retired GM Engr 01-26-2017 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Landru (Post 1593955456)
From one retire engineer to another: Michelin.
BTW confirm your old tire dealer-pal can do runflats, has the appropriate (& *expensive) machine.
~Got a great deal on Michelins @ 4 corners from NTB.
Car's on rack & I'm told their machine w/couldn't do a tire such as mine. Too wide. Z06 sizes, FWIW.
Awfully friendly helpful people at NTB, great prices too; but, not knowing their machine c/would work? :crazy2:

Also, get 4 wheel alignment using Pfadt 'Street Specs', Pfadt specs are on Internet.
Corvettes come from factory w/ an aggressive toe-in to facilitate racing, cornering & accounts for un-needed wear for anyone not racing.

Pfadt SS rectifies this problem & prolongs tire wear. :cheers:

Yes, he's got the equipment to do the runflats.
And to do a "real" alignment. I printed the Pfadt specs.

Offtopic: You can't believe the amount of camber we used
on our Transam Camaro (like everyone). With toe-OUT.
Not so much camber on the endurance/SCCA Vettes.
Wow, 1969-70's were a LONG TIME AGO.
Thanks much for your (and the rests) comments. :flag:

LMB-Z 01-26-2017 05:09 PM

I say ditch the runflats and go with Michelins. Night and day difference in ride and noise. Been running them for 5 years now and no flats.

extrapilot 01-26-2017 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by TerryL (Post 1593955272)
What century was that Ford 'debacle'?

Firestone WO RFs are great C6 tires. This pic shows over 30K miles.

:iagree: Have them on my DD since 2013, near 35K, has seen -7 deg F in winter.
Widely used tire on this forum, great reviews on tire rack dot com.:thumbs:

blu_c6 01-26-2017 06:00 PM

I was between the Firestone Wide Oval RF and the Bridgestone Potenza AS RF. I went with the all season and love them. I daily drive my car from April to November and then pick my days December - March. The AS RF are amazing in all conditions.

919cw313 01-26-2017 06:21 PM

If you have two choices and refuse to use one of them, then what do you have left? No need for opinions and reviews.

Red Devil Z51 01-26-2017 06:51 PM

since you only have 2 choices i would get the goodyears since i think firestones are like general tires garbage

cmonkey713 01-26-2017 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by jrose7004 (Post 1593955317)

:iagree: Michelin would be the top choice.

RocketDawg 01-26-2017 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by 919cw313 (Post 1593956934)
If you have two choices and refuse to use one of them, then what do you have left? No need for opinions and reviews.

Yeah, exactly what I was going to say. He's gotta go with the Goodyears since only them and Firestones are available, and he will not buy Firestones.

cclive 01-26-2017 08:53 PM

I don't understand...you said she will only buy tires in that one place; that one place only offers two brands of tire; and you will never buy one of those two brands; sounds to me like 'asked and answered'. Most people here would say that the Goodyears are just about the worst tire that is offered anywhere for the Vette, so either you get some bad tires or you will have to change some of your parameters. Without considering price, I would say that the Michelins are very good tires for the C6.:thumbs:

TerryL 01-26-2017 09:05 PM

Maybe he meant that (he) would not buy, or use Firestones on (his) car but the two brands mentioned were ok for his wife's C6.:toetap::yesnod::lol:

J3TVETTE 01-26-2017 09:52 PM

I have been running Firestone Wide Oval RFT and am pretty comfortable with them on the Vette. They seem to be a solid tire that holds up well. They are in fact better than the factory tires at least in my opinion. I like to have RFT's due to long distance highway driving.

4SUMERZ 01-26-2017 10:51 PM

In my opinion, the GY F1 Supercar tires are the worst all around tire for a C6. I replaced my original GY F1 Supercars at half thread because they became dangerous to drive in any wet condition.
All you have to do is look at the comparison at Tire rack for handling, road noise, etc.

The GY Eagle F1 Symetrical tires rate better, but lower than most other tires in the RF category
The GY Eagle F1 GS-2 rate about as low as possible for any runflat.

Here are the comparisons.
Top section in the table are Non Runflats, and the bottom section are Run Flats

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...130418bb1d.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c5d22077eb.jpg