CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 Grand Sport Hangs With Porsche GT3 RS (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3938670-c7-grand-sport-hangs-with-porsche-gt3-rs.html)

2fastnow 02-05-2017 08:25 PM

The Porsche has to race around the track with a big complex motor hanging of it's back axle. Somehow it competes and wins with this drawback. The Vette has huge torque without having to wait for it with turbos or select cam RPM ranges.
When it comes to value per dollar there's no question the C7/GS can't be beat against ANY sports car out there. There are no real reasons to look any where else for this level of sports car, which is at it's pinnacle in my opinion.

OVR60 02-05-2017 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by HPT (Post 1594015906)
I was in the same camp and even despised Porsches...until I bought one for my girlfriend. Then I bought one for myself because I don't look good in purple. Lap times become irrelevant, and you don't really understand until you drive one.

It is very refreshing to know others on the Forum have had the same experience and understand how great German engineering kept improving their Brand. This thread was created for the Haters to vent their frustrations trying to justify something that is meaningless. I did see one in purple and the paint was equal to Aston Martin quality.

2cnd Chance 02-06-2017 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by OVR60 (Post 1594031542)
It is very refreshing to know others on the Forum have had the same experience and understand how great German engineering kept improving their Brand. This thread was created for the Haters to vent their frustrations trying to justify something that is meaningless. I did see one in purple and the paint was equal to Aston Martin quality.

No venting, no frustrations and no hating, just personal observations. Remember this IS a Corvette Forum. ;)

TractionControlOff 02-06-2017 12:36 PM

The GS certainly looks like a handful, but great time nonetheless. I wonder how many laps it could keep up at that pace. The two cars are nearly opposites and do everything in different ways - it doesn't make either better or worse.

2cnd Chance 02-06-2017 01:05 PM

^ It doesn't drive like that at all. It's very, very controlled. That guy was driving it very sloppy. Hence my earlier post. He probably lost .4 or more seconds.

CSevenGS 02-06-2017 10:06 PM

It's basically 400% more expensive...a.k.a., you can own around 4 GS for the price of 1 of the Porsches, more if you count some RS's going for upwards of 500k around internet...that is bonkers.
The fact that a few people basically said...Lap Times "aren't that important"...is bonkers.
...and just a personal opinion, the overall styling of the GS spanks the Porsche.
If the GS was only within 4-5 seconds of the Porsche it would still be amazing

Oh, I agree with the above...that guy drove like crap. A smoother driver and it would have run at least a second quicker, which would have been faster than the Porsche....which is bonkers.

This story backs up these results...VIR lap within .4 secs of a McLaren 570S and a Porsche GT3 RS and 17 Grand Sport. McLaren has 102 HP and about 250lbs advantage...and 185k price tag. There is no doubt the GS is not to be taken lightly. The Porsche did a 2:47.0, Grand Sport 2:47.1 and McLaren 2:47.4... Just 1/10th of a second slower than the Porsche and 3/10ths faster than the McLaren...2017 Acura NSX at 160k...2:50.2, 3.1 seconds slower...Shelby GT350-R 2:51.8, BMW M4 GTS, 135k came in at 2:52.9...Just sayin... Honorable Mention...POS 2017 Audi R8 V-10 Plus at 190k did a 2:56.1 at 610hp
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p-2016-feature

86C4Z51 02-08-2017 06:30 PM

Here move over, I'll drive 'em both and get back to you...

sunsalem 02-08-2017 07:29 PM

Last time I checked, races are determined by times.
When judging Track Performance, numbers are all that matter.
Not just lap times; it INCLUDES price.
And that is where the C7 sweeps the grid.
Nothing comes close to its Track Performance/$$$ ratio.

When judging Streetability, it becomes somewhat subjective.
From what I have read, the RS is lacking in street manners and is more difficult to live with as a DD compared to the C7.

2cnd Chance 02-08-2017 07:39 PM

^ Typically It is sans stereo, AC & ...like the one used in the LL.

sunsalem 02-08-2017 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance (Post 1594052612)
^ Typically It is sans stereo, AC & ...like the one used in the LL.

Whatever floats a guy's boat I guess, but for the amount of $$$ you showed a few posts back I would NEVER look at an RS when McLarens, Ferraris, etc. can be had for similar prices.;)