CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3s for Sale/Wanted (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3s-for-sale-wanted-56/)
-   -   WTB: '68-'72 Convertible (looking for leads/advice) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3s-for-sale-wanted/3938733-wtb-68-72-convertible-looking-for-leads-advice.html)

redbarchetta74 02-02-2017 01:53 PM

WTB: '68-'72 Convertible (looking for leads/advice)

Greetings all:

New member but long-time lurker, I'm currently in the market for a '68-'72 convertible with hopes of finding something over the next 3-4 months. I'm primarily looking for a driver that I can tinker with, not something that will sit in a garage just to look pretty. Yes, I've reviewed the 10 rules (which are great and informative) and I do a bunch of work on my current cars so there isn't much from a maintenance perspective that scares me. If I don't have the tools (or time) to do the work, I have plenty of connections that I can farm out to.

I'm willing to spend around $20k-$25k and while numbers-matching isn't that important to me, I'd like to find something that has period-correct components (no '68's with a 454). I'd really like to find a big-block that falls within my budget, but realize that I may have to settle for a 350 to locate something that doesn't land me in the doghouse and isn't a rehab job.

As for colors, I'm flexible outside of yellow, white, and orange. I'd prefer a black interior, but could be swayed by something else if the price is right.

I think that's it for now. Any advice or leads that anyone has is greatly appreciated. I look forward to securing something soon and actively participating as a C3 owner on the board in the near future...

Thanks!

NMT1957 02-02-2017 03:31 PM

What part of the country are you located in. It seems I see alot of cars when I'm not in the market for one

Ned

redbarchetta74 02-02-2017 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by NMT1957 (Post 1594007571)
What part of the country are you located in. It seems I see alot of cars when I'm not in the market for one

Ned

Southeast (Georgia). Will travel (or pull a network favor) to view if the right car comes along.

carjack007 02-02-2017 11:35 PM

Hi Red,
I am currently thinking about selling my red '72 convertible, white top and black interior. I will be taking pictures in a few weeks. If you have some interest let me know. I will be happy to answer any questions. The car is in Moncks Corner, SC,
Regards, Bob

redbarchetta74 02-03-2017 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by carjack007 (Post 1594011053)
Hi Red,
I am currently thinking about selling my red '72 convertible, white top and black interior. I will be taking pictures in a few weeks. If you have some interest let me know. I will be happy to answer any questions. The car is in Moncks Corner, SC,
Regards, Bob

Thanks -- assuming your asking fits within my budget, I'd be interested in hearing more about the vehicle. Feel free to PM or respond here with any details.

ClaudioC4 02-03-2017 05:03 PM

http://www.certifiedheadquarters.com...ingray-412088/

seacliffe301 02-04-2017 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by redbarchetta74 (Post 1594006834)
Greetings all:

I'm currently in the market for a '68-'72 convertible with hopes of finding something over the next 3-4 months. Any advice or leads that anyone has is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Good luck on your quest. I remember making the same decision about 15 years ago.

I've owned a stock, '72 small block convertible since then. I purchased the car locally with what was then about a 2 year old paint job. The seller had a personal friend who was the of the owner of one of the premiere Vette restoration shops in this region. They pulled out all the stops on this repaint. Stripped to bare glass, new body seams etc. I got very lucky in this regard. 17 years on, this paint still looks like new. Since then, I've done everything else. The car looks beautiful, fun to drive, etc.

In hindsight, without a doubt, the most important piece of advice I can offer is to get whatever car you're considering inspected by a qualified Corvette expert. Someone who knows the nuances as well as pitfalls of these cars. Again, I was fortunate in this regard. Tracy Performance locally offered inspection service at the time. Not only total piece of mind, but an educational process as well. Spend some time on this Forum and you will read some of the horror stories of folks who have bought cars with bad or faulty frames, birdcages, trailing arms, electrical, brakes, etc.
These items can cost a fortune, just to make a car road worthy. And this is before any real restoration process has begun.

I would seek referrals from Forum members or local Corvette chapters (if avail) for possibilities. Best of luck.

redbarchetta74 02-04-2017 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by seacliffe301 (Post 1594019355)

In hindsight, without a doubt, the most important piece of advice I can offer is to get whatever car you're considering inspected by a qualified Corvette expert. Someone who knows the nuances as well as pitfalls of these cars. Again, I was fortunate in this regard. Tracy Performance locally offered inspection service at the time. Not only total piece of mind, but an educational process as well. Spend some time on this Forum and you will read some of the horror stories of folks who have bought cars with bad or faulty frames, birdcages, trailing arms, electrical, brakes, etc.

I would seek referrals from Forum members or local Corvette chapters (if avail) for possibilities. Best of luck.

Thanks seacliffe -- great advice. Hopefully I can be as fortunate in my quest as you were. I do have a buddy locally with a ton of experience who knows his way around restorations, albeit his experience is mostly with European cars (Jags). I suspect that I may need to reach out for some help if the right vehicle comes along that isn't in my area code. It's one thing to know what to look for, but it's entirely another to have the hands-on experience with these cars like so many others here do.

Thanks again for the great input.

redbarchetta74 02-06-2017 07:36 PM

Any thoughts on this one? https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/5992326072.html

A bit outside of my budget but worth taking a look at?

Edit: CL add was pulled as soon as I started asking tough questions. Go figure!

redbarchetta74 02-10-2017 09:44 AM

bump - still looking!

TNVettGuy 02-12-2017 02:03 AM

PM Sent

TMadden 02-14-2017 04:10 PM

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5993223666.html

zrc3john 02-14-2017 05:42 PM

Are you looking for numbers matching? Reason I ask is , I have owned two L-48 C 3s and the motors are dogs.....Never drove a big block C -3 so I can't say for sure how they feel in regards to power....

My present car is a 73 convertible in which I swapped out the motor years ago.Still have it, it's just on a stand in my garage.....

If you come across a C-3 non numbers matching that's sporting a nice horsepower motor I would consider it.....These cars are a lot more fun when they have some power behind them....Plus they won't be as expensive as a numbers matching but will provide a lot more fun....

redbarchetta74 02-14-2017 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by TMadden (Post 1594093668)

Saw that -- beautiful car but beyond my budget and a SB.

redbarchetta74 02-14-2017 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by zrc3john (Post 1594094378)
If you come across a C-3 non numbers matching that's sporting a nice horsepower motor I would consider it.....These cars are a lot more fun when they have some power behind them....Plus they won't be as expensive as a numbers matching but will provide a lot more fun....

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Numbers-matching is not that important to me. I just want a good '68-'72 convertible BBC that is a quality driver that I can work on. Not interested in "project" cars that need a ton of rehab, but something that has the big-ticket items done right.

zrc3john 02-15-2017 03:06 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...651a978a17.jpgMy 73....Too bad the Govt mandated plastic bumpers for 73....
​​​​​​​

reno stallion 02-16-2017 09:28 AM

look down the page at 69 roadster for sale. not a beauty but its a driver

redbarchetta74 02-16-2017 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by zrc3john (Post 1594100574)
My 73....Too bad the Govt mandated plastic bumpers for 73....
​​​​​​​

Beautiful car - I just love that matching front chrome though!

redbarchetta74 02-17-2017 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by reno stallion (Post 1594105423)
look down the page at 69 roadster for sale. not a beauty but its a driver

Saw that -- looks like a heck of a project. Not sure I could take that one on...

redbarchetta74 02-18-2017 12:38 PM

still looking - thanks to those that have PM'd some vehicles to me!